MAC users (Read 602 times)

KvnJns

So I am seriously considering purchasing a new MacBook Pro and I am wondering if it is compatible with Garmin Forerunners. I have a 305 and wanted to see if I will still be able to upload my runs to a MAC. This will be a huge change for me as I have always owned windows based computers, currently have 2 Dells. Thanks for your input.

Kevin

Ojo

Yes!  I upload through the RA website.

Sara

MM #2929

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Been using a MBP with RA since I first could, and using it for GPS upload since the day it was released.  No problems here.

Don't want to wait for the potential Mac tablet announcement on January 26? Wink

KvnJns

Been using a MBP with RA since I first could, and using it for GPS upload since the day it was released.  No problems here.

Don't want to wait for the potential Mac tablet announcement on January 26? Wink

No can do. I have an opportunity for a 25% discount on a brand new MBP but it is only good for 3 more days. I can't afford to turn that down just to wait for the tablet to come out.

Kevin

Imminent Catastrophe

But what will you do with all the spare time that you used to spend troubleshooting, downloading drivers, virus-scanning and rebooting? 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

But what will you do with all the spare time that you used to spend troubleshooting, downloading drivers, virus-scanning and rebooting? 

+1

TRUST THE PROCESS

Feeling the growl again

I have a recently bought Mac, we tried to do a transfer from our old Mac.  I had an Apple manager working on the computer for me, and they couldn't figure it out.

I don't find Macs very user friendly.  At least on a PC I can figure something out, with a Mac you must...well...speak the secret Mac language.  I just wanted to download the videos from my flash drive camera and save them as mpegs to email to somebody and it took 40 minutes to figure it out, completely counter-intuitive.

Each has their strengths and weaknesses.  I find dealing with computer companies a lot like dealing with the airlines.  No matter which I pick, I'm set up to be disappointed and neither particularly cares about my experience.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Skooter 3.0

The hardest thing for me when I started to use Macs was how insanely intuitive they really are. I remember that I wanted to delete an application and spent like 45 minutes trying to figure out if it was a right click thing or where in the System Preferences the application remove thingie was like in Windows. Finally I freaked out and called the store where i bought it and they were like, uh, just put the app in the trash. Oh. Ha.

With macs, usually the most common sense approach is the way to git' er dun. If you want to move something over here, pick it up and move it there. If you want to open this file in this program, just drag the file to that program. If you prefer, there are sub menus for most things, but they aren't necessary.

Goals?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Indeed, I have found that some things are so intuitive that they are counter-intuitive.  Especially after I have been using another system which requires fairly complex maneuvers to make things happen.  Installing an app requires only that you drag it into your app folder.  Uninstalling it requires only that you delete.

Spaniel, I speak no secret Mac language, and when I want to download pics or videos to my Mac, all I have ever had to do is plug in the device, import them using something like iPhoto and then drag them to mail.  Very fast, very easy.  Not sure why you had the experience you did.

ymmv

I have a recently bought Mac, we tried to do a transfer from our old Mac.  I had an Apple manager working on the computer for me, and they couldn't figure it out.

i'd use filezilla to move things from one mac to another on the same network.

rsyncx is very nice application for archiving to an external HD.

i would not ask a manager, apple or otherwise, for help with anything technical. Wink