2013 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 2202 times)

B-Plus

I'm not sure if I have any business being here, but I'm hoping to gain the fitness to make a sub-3 attempt this fall at Chicago.

I'm 35, but I'll be 36 on race day. My PR is 3:05 from April 2010, and my last race was a 3:06 marathon in June 2010. I started running again in May 2012 after a 1.5 year break (save for a half-hearted comeback attempt the prior summer). I've been working on base mileage this whole time, and now I plan to train for some 5 and 10ks this spring before transitioning into a marathon cycle for the fall.

Good luck everybody.

I'm going to keep trying!

PR 3.13 (October 2012), aiming for sub 3 hours at Dublin Marathon (28th Oct 2013)

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

OK, I'm a total ultra-marathoning dark horse, but please add me to the list, Clive. Black eye

Buzzie (45/no) – 20OCT2012 – Detroit Free Press (Detroit MI)  RESULT = ______

Liz

pace sera, sera

B-Plus

OK, I'm a total ultra-marathoning dark horse, but please add me to the list, Clive. Black eye

Buzzie (45/no) – 20OCT2012 – Detroit Free Press (Detroit, MI)  RESULT = ______

Oh, I see. I should use this format so the OP can just copy and paste:

B-Plus (36/no) – 13OCT2013 – Chicago (Chicago, IL)  RESULT = ______

Right on Hereford...

Hi Clive, please add me to the list, thanks!

Dakota RR (42/yes) – 15APR2013 – Boston (Boston MA) – Goal = 2:55  RESULT = ______

Hi Clive,

Can I be added to the list as well?

Run: Copenhagen Marathon

Date: 19 May 2013

Goal: Sub-3

Thanks.

Paul

lagwagon

I have a quick training question.

I've started Pfitz 18/70, and in the 2nd week now.  Last weekend instead of the long run I did a trail marathon (easy pace), so this week I'm taking things easy to facilitate full recovery  (as in an extra day off, 40 miles instead of 55, and lower intensity).

The question revolves around this week's key workout...16 miles with 8 at MP.  Its a  hard workout.  And I want to not overdo things...but seems to me that these MP runs are such an integral part of Pfitz that I shouldn't skip it.  Would you?

Alternatives are doing it as scheduled, moving it to next week, or doing a shorter version this weekend (eg 12 miles w 5-6 at MP (6:50-7:00m/m)).  I lean towards this last option if I'm feeling rested by Saturday, as I get some MP running in, and next week will be back on schedule.

I've been running many years, but this is my first time following a plan, so any advice is helpful.

[Competitive] Jerk

lagwagon - I think the 12 with 5-6@MP is not a bad choice. You're still really early in your training cycle so I don't think it would matter too much either way and probably recovery from the 26.2 mile long run is far more important.

foooster

2013  will be sub 3hrs

now 58 yrs old pb 2.20 31 can it be done?

Why is it sideways?

2013  will be sub 3hrs

now 58 yrs old pb 2.20 31 can it be done?

Heck yeah -- performance equivalent is a mere 2:29 -- hobby jogging for a runner of your talent level. Smile

lagwagon

thanks for the feedback Greg.  I felt good today, so I'll aim to do just that.  Then I'll be back on schedule for next week with nothing more to think about.

I Ain't Dead Yet!

I suppose, it's a new year and I should think about marathon goals once again.  Although most of the early part of 2013 is going to be focused on redemption at FANS 24 hour race, I will race Whistlestop Marathon on 10/12. Goal of 2:44:59.  If it's gonna happen before I turn 40 it's gotta happen there.

MTA:  Age 39. Sub-3 before, yes.

My hair is gone and I'm almost blind
                          The days of my youth are far behind
                          My neck is stiff, I can't turn my head
                          Can't hear one-half that's being said
                          And this is the message I want you to get
                          I'm still a-kicking, and I ain't dead yet.

DoppleBock

Started training 1/7 ... For an August 10th 10k

But I think along the way I will make my goal of sub 3 at Boston (Already on list) ... but I am a long way off today from sub 3.

When you go to the dark side (Ultras) it is do hard not to want to run every race - But I tried that last year with 12 races of marathon or further and all were mediocre.  I must stay the course and just train and do short stuff.

Don - Depending on how life goes and where it leads me this season, maybe I will join you for Whistle Stop.  I was going to run Fox Cities as I am on a running budget in 2013, but I probably could do Whislte Stop on the cheap.  There are 2 things that could get in the way:  1)  Glacial 50 Mile - I love that course and race .... and 2)  24 the Hard Way.  As much as I am trying to hide from the dark side - it may find me before years end.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I Ain't Dead Yet!

Don - Depending on how life goes and where it leads me this season, maybe I will join you for Whistle Stop.  I was going to run Fox Cities as I am on a running budget in 2013, but I probably could do Whislte Stop on the cheap.  There are 2 things that could get in the way:  1)  Glacial 50 Mile - I love that course and race .... and 2)  24 the Hard Way.  As much as I am trying to hide from the dark side - it may find me before years end.

That would be great. Maybe run the first few miles together to go after that 2:44 or better time.  I usually don't run with people or talk when I race, but I suspect you're the same way and would just quietly run the pace with me.  I'll talk plenty at the beer tent after the race though...last year we sat there until 4:00 pm for the awards ceremony drinking almost all the damn beer they had available.  I don't know what took longer to recover from the race, my legs or my liver.  Shocked

My hair is gone and I'm almost blind
                              The days of my youth are far behind
                              My neck is stiff, I can't turn my head
                              Can't hear one-half that's being said
                              And this is the message I want you to get
                              I'm still a-kicking, and I ain't dead yet.

DoppleBock

If it works out that I run -  I agree - The best way to run with people - Usually is people I do not know, then we can use each other and discrard each other when we no longer have a use for each other.  I would expect the same for us - Run together if it works, but no committment.

Lets face it - THe possibility we are in the same type of shape is low.  I could be in 2:44 shape or 3:14 shape ... my fitness is a crapshoot these days.

That would be great. Maybe run the first few miles together to go after that 2:44 or better time.  I usually don't run with people or talk when I race, but I suspect you're the same way and would just quietly run the pace with me.  I'll talk plenty at the beer tent after the race though...last year we sat there until 4:00 pm for the awards ceremony drinking almost all the damn beer they had available.  I don't know what took longer to recover from the race, my legs or my liver.  Shocked

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !