2013 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 2202 times)

CalBears

Could you please put me for Los Angeles Marathon on 03/17/13. Target - 2:59:59. 47 years old. PR is 3:06:40. Hence - never ran sub 3 Smile

calbearsfan(47/no) – 17MAR2013 – Los Angeles (LA, CA) Goal = 2:59:59 RESULT = ______

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

CalBears

I was going to say, sub-3 off Pfitz 18/55 would imply some talent. I had to go up to 70 for my first sub-3.

Good luck.

I am just curious how many times did you try 18/55 before upshifting to 70? Is it possible that you just didn't give it some time to accumulate the results of all the previous 18/55s?

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

bhearn

Yeah, it's possible... a few times, I think, I'm not sure how many. 2-4, probably. 

lagwagon

calbearsfan,

Thanks for your input.  I know I've underestimated the plan, and overestimated my ability...this is called denial and helps me get through life.

But really, I do agree that I've focused on the first few weeks (relatively sedate) without acknowledging that it'll get hard quickly.  I think I've also perceived the mileage increase as trivial, but every 10 mile increase brings with it some new aches so I know it is not.

As I said with Greg's feedback, I've decided to back off for a couple of weeks.  Its better to go in fresh than not. That and my knee is a little sore from a hard asphalt impact after tripping on hurricane debris during a predawn workout a few days back.

I just need to get one last run in, then I'll take some time off.  I dont need to run, I do it cuz I want to.  I can back off any time I want to...

Lagwagon Im probably in a similar situation to you with 18/70. Ive been taking it fairly easy the last month to try and fix up little aches and pains. I ran about 8 weeks worth 60-70mpw this year but mostly 50 mpw. The second part of 18/70 lactate threshold or whatever it is does look a little scary and I guess I will just do the best I can. Its the middle of summer here then too so Im going to have to get out the door early.

At the end of the day its a plan and if we have to make some minor tweaks then so be it.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Welcome AmoresPerros! What a coincidence - my recent PR is 3:06 and I will be targeting sub 3 next year too. First attempt is on March 17.

What plan are you going to follow? What plan did you follow for your PR marathon? I followed Pfitz's plans with 12/70 for my recent race.

So far the start of the training cycle doesn't look very good for me - was carrying a Christmas tree yesterday and it was way too heavy for me - kind of hurt my back, damn... No more tall Christmas trees for me for the future - I already warned my DW Big grin.

Good luck with the training! When do you plan your goal marathon?

I don't have a plan -- nor have ever used one. I'll try to do long runs every week or so, and try to start doing some running at around 6:50 pace -- did my first such yesterday, in fact.  Maybe I'd do better with a plan....

Hope you recover fully from that back injury - don't want to go out & run funny & accumulate weird cascading injuries from stride oddities, I expect.

PS: My marathon will be in March as well.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

I don't have a plan -- nor have ever used one. I'll try to do long runs every week or so, and try to start doing some running at around 6:50 pace -- did my first such yesterday, in fact.  Maybe I'd do better with a plan....

Hope you recover fully from that back injury - don't want to go out & run funny & accumulate weird cascading injuries from stride oddities, I expect.

PS: My marathon will be in March as well.

I like to sometimes go without a plan but I figure its smarter to use one for a race length I know little about. Maybe over time I'll start to make my own. 

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

Turbolegs

I wonder when a certain Naderalfie will throw his hat into the ring.

Also looking for Spaniel / Mikeymike / Jeff ....

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Is there a double-super-secret 2013 Sub-2:03:38 Marathon Goal Thread that the rest of us don't know about???

Smile

Hey I am still claiming to be retired from marathons. Well, except for Monkey which didn't really count.

At least for now...

Runners run

Turbolegs

Hey I am still claiming to be retired from marathons. Well, except for Monkey which didn't really count.

At least for now...

I thought HHFMM was going to be the precursor of things to come for 2013 ... in so far as getting to the start line is concerned.

FIngers crossed !! Smile

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

gusgordon

Hey guys, wow I missed the appearance of this thread and it's already 10 pages deep!  I skimmed but didn't read a lot of detail.

I briefly popped in to the 2012 thread to introduce myself, but I'll do so again here.  I'm another RWOL refugee and this looks like a new training home for me.  I'm dealing presently with a particularly persistent, painful piriformis predicament, but hope to be running again at some point in 2013.  39 yo, 2:57:12 marathon PR, gone sub-3 three times now.  

csab

Interesting discussion about the Pfitz plans and the mileage... you guys scare me. So far I only peaked just over 60 mpw for my half marathons, but I do plan to go up to 70 in this cycle for my May half. My idea was to do a 18/70 after that, and run a fall marathon, but you guys make it sound like that plan may easily break me. Especially because I will be brand new for marathon training.

[Competitive] Jerk

csab - Do you speak Hungarian?

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Interesting discussion about the Pfitz plans and the mileage... you guys scare me. So far I only peaked just over 60 mpw for my half marathons, but I do plan to go up to 70 in this cycle for my May half. My idea was to do a 18/70 after that, and run a fall marathon, but you guys make it sound like that plan may easily break me. Especially because I will be brand new for marathon training.

Having the time necessary to run the higher mileage is what scares me...not the actual mileage.  I know I undertrained but my peak mileage for my half marathon was 40mpw with a majority of it around 32mpw.  I think you can do the 70mpw but just keep in mind that there is a good bit of quality faster miles as well so don't feel bad if you have to switch up the workouts on occasion to not completely destroy your legs.  I'm starting to learn that recovery pace definitely means at a slow, relaxed pace to recover!

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)