Running faster on tired legs (Read 2144 times)

KMB

That is outstanding - this may be the single biggest piece or inspiration I have read. Curious about the water while training, gatorade while racing strategy?
    heelgrad92

I think my body adapted to the need for greater glycogen stores by not feeding it while I ran. I found that as I trained more, I was able to go for longer distances before needing some supplement. Eventually I was able to run any distance comfortably without any gels or Gatorade as long as I had plenty of water. Of course my long runs are at MP + 45 seconds, and at the faster marathon pace I have to use supplements to compensate. Result? Last Fall I felt great at my goal pace for the entire 26.2, with NO cramps in my calves.
        I think my body adapted to the need for greater glycogen stores by not feeding it while I ran. I found that as I trained more, I was able to go for longer distances before needing some supplement. Eventually I was able to run any distance comfortably without any gels or Gatorade as long as I had plenty of water. Of course my long runs are at MP + 45 seconds, and at the faster marathon pace I have to use supplements to compensate. Result? Last Fall I felt great at my goal pace for the entire 26.2, with NO cramps in my calves.
        I believe Greg McMillan wrote an article about this to Running Times a year or two ago. I've talked to Keith Livingstone, the author of "H.I.T. (Healthy Intelligent Training)" just about the same time; particularly taking things like GU during training run is completely defeating the purpose. The purpose of long run is to break through the wall by depleting your glycogen storage. Furthermore, if you take GU or any other energy gel or drink during the long runs, your body will be used to that and expect the energy supply during the race. So if something happens, your body will be more likely to shut down. Personally, I never take any of that... In fact, I hardly take any liquid during my long run. I sweat a lot and that seems to keep my body cool. The need of hydration is so your body would sweat to cool off. Some old timers actually suggest it's better to just dump water over your body--it cuts a step that involves your body to do an extra work! I think a lot of hydration issue and energy drink (not so much during the marathon race but during the long runs) is marketing-driven more than anything.
        heelgrad92

I believe Greg McMillan wrote an article about this to Running Times a year or two ago. I've talked to Keith Livingstone, the author of "H.I.T. (Healthy Intelligent Training)" just about the same time; particularly taking things like GU during training run is completely defeating the purpose. The purpose of long run is to break through the wall by depleting your glycogen storage. Furthermore, if you take GU or any other energy gel or drink during the long runs, your body will be used to that and expect the energy supply during the race. So if something happens, your body will be more likely to shut down. Personally, I never take any of that... In fact, I hardly take any liquid during my long run. I sweat a lot and that seems to keep my body cool. The need of hydration is so your body would sweat to cool off. Some old timers actually suggest it's better to just dump water over your body--it cuts a step that involves your body to do an extra work! I think a lot of hydration issue and energy drink (not so much during the marathon race but during the long runs) is marketing-driven more than anything.
          I agree with all of this except the water part. It's not so bad now, but I wouldn't want to try to run 20 miles in North Carolina during the month of August without any water. When the humidity is 98% and the temperature is 82 degrees at 5 am, you need some water to drink. Dumping it over your head makes little difference as you are already completely soaked with sweat. I have to alternate running shoes in the summer because it takes two days for shoes to dry out.