Got myself a 405 (Read 1774 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Just had my Garmin 405 delivered... and I LOVE IT! Big grin

ymmv

just got mine too. here's what i've noticed: unlike the 205/305, there is no mac support at this time. zero. if i take it on a trip, i cannot transfer data, as my only laptop is a mac. had i known this, i would not have purchased it at this time. i figured i could live with that for awhile... i have not run with it yet. i have fully charged it twice and set it aside, and each time, after about 12 hours, it is fully discharged. the manual says it goes into power-save mode and should last about 2 weeks. mine appears to go into power-save mode, but the battery still goes to zero. note that there is no way that i have been able to find to actually turn the power 'off'.
        Mac support is coming 3rd quarter this year...so you shouldn't have much longer to wait! Smile
          i have not run with it yet. i have fully charged it twice and set it aside, and each time, after about 12 hours, it is fully discharged. the manual says it goes into power-save mode and should last about 2 weeks. mine appears to go into power-save mode, but the battery still goes to zero. note that there is no way that i have been able to find to actually turn the power 'off'.
          Seems a bit unusual. When mine is fully charged, it will last a few days, even with the GPS on.As an example, I charged mine last Friday night. Ran 13 Saturday, left the GPS on, and this morning (Monday) the battery shows 55%. I charge mine about twice a week--once mid-week, and the night before my long run. Four of my running partners have the 405, and they aren't experiencing the problem you have. Have you called Garmin on it? And no--you can't turn the power off.
          My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
          ymmv

Seems a bit unusual. When mine is fully charged, it will last a few days, even with the GPS on.As an example, I charged mine last Friday night. Ran 13 Saturday, left the GPS on, and this morning (Monday) the battery shows 55%. I charge mine about twice a week--once mid-week, and the night before my long run. Four of my running partners have the 405, and they aren't experiencing the problem you have. Have you called Garmin on it? And no--you can't turn the power off.
            Good to hear what others are experiencing. Thanks for the reply! I bought mine Saturday afternoon, fully charged it, played with the menus, set it aside and Sunday morning it was at 0%. I charged it again Sunday, set it on a shelf, and this morning it was beeping the low battery alert, and was again at 0%. Today, I did not recharge it, and it sure looks like it is 'off' now! It has a non-replaceable battery, too. I have not yet been able to get through to Garmin support. I'll have to try later when I can stay on hold for "30 to 35 minutes"....I need to go for a run or somethin'.
            ymmv

just to follow-up.... Mine suffered from the 'power save syndrome' that you can google about if you are interested. Basically, you could stare at it and watch it change from power-save, to not-power-save every minute. That depletes the battery pretty fast. I called Garmin tech support (about a 20 minute wait on hold) and they confirmed that it was not normal, asked where I bought it, and since it was a local store, suggested I take it back there. I took it back (to Fleet Feet Annapolis, great store, by the way) and they offered to exchange or return it for me. I opted to exchange for another, and the new one is behaving fine.
                just to follow-up.... Mine suffered from the 'power save syndrome' that you can google about if you are interested. Basically, you could stare at it and watch it change from power-save, to not-power-save every minute. That depletes the battery pretty fast. I called Garmin tech support (about a 20 minute wait on hold) and they confirmed that it was not normal, asked where I bought it, and since it was a local store, suggested I take it back there. I took it back (to Fleet Feet Annapolis, great store, by the way) and they offered to exchange or return it for me. I opted to exchange for another, and the new one is behaving fine.
                I had this happen as well. I believe it was because I stored the watch over night in a bathroom cabinet right next to the HR monitor strap.

Former runner

I had mine discharge the battery overnight after charging it (one time). There is a update on the Garmin site that is supposed to fix the issue. So far it hasn't done it again.

Ross

I had mine discharge the battery overnight after charging it (one time). There is a update on the Garmin site that is supposed to fix the issue. So far it hasn't done it again.
                    Thanks. I downloaded the update. I thought it was just trying to communicate with the HR strap, but probably not. I've only had it for 3 days. So far, I love it! I even used it for a mountain bike ride yesterday on a very densely wooded, single track trail. It worked great!
                    ymmv

Glad to hear there is an update for the problem mine had. It was not available when I exchanged my 405. My new one is still working fine. The Training Center software and ANT agent software can be problematic, however. I've found that if I have more than one workout in a day (like if you stop and start the timer during a workout) it will fail to upload. When mine refuses to upload data to the computer, I have to set the watch on 'Force' upload. Then it will upload all workouts, including the balky ones. On the down side, it takes a while to transfer all the data (10s of minutes). I have also had one occasion when Training Center 'lost' several days of workouts. I got them back by using the 'force' upload again, then I backed it all up. I'm eagerly awaiting a software update for problems like that. Perhaps Eric could get some consulting time with them and whip Garmin's stuff into shape! Smile I'm looking forward to mac software for the 405. I'm currently running it using winXP via parallels.

Imminent Catastrophe

Question--since ANT does not have Mac support yet, can you update the software on a Mac?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Former runner

Question--since ANT does not have Mac support yet, can you update the software on a Mac?
                          I'd say probably not since the updates have to go through the usb device to the watch.

Ross

Imminent Catastrophe

Time to install boot Camp

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Lu481

I would like to get a 405, but they seem to have too many little bugs right now so right now I'm holding off for that reason, and the fact that my 201 still works and I can't justify the cost of the new one yet. My 201 has about 13 hours of running time when it's fully charged and I would hope that the 405 would have about the same, but from talking to other people, it appears to have much less. Does anyone know about how long the battery lasts in running mode when it's fully charged to begin with?
                                Guys -- I feel foolish here - but what is a 405???

Champions are made when no one is watching