Pittsburgh Marathon 2009-Registration Closed? (Read 1348 times)

I went to sign up for the Pittsburgh Marathon today, and noticed that the web site would not allow me to register for the full marathon, just the half and the relay. Needless to say, if they closed registration on the full marathon without notice or without stating what the registration cut-off was going to be for the race, there are going to be some severely aggravated people. I'm hoping this is just a web site glitch, or I'll have to head out to Cincinnati again for the Flying Pig instead or running here in my own back yard.
      I got this email on March 12th: ---------------- Record Registration! We couldn't be more excited about the phenomenal number of runners registered for the return of the Pittsburgh Marathon -- 7,000 and climbing! This is a grass roots marathon, and every runner who registers is making a real contribution to the future of this event. We are 100% committed to giving all of our runners the greatest possible race experience, and so we will need to cap our registration soon to make sure we can serve you well on race day. We are telling you this first -- before we announce it to the public (tomorrow) -- because we want your friends to get in! Have friends who are holding off on registering? Tell them to hurry to avoid disappointment! Thank you! ---------------- So, I'm thinking as of 3 days ago it wasn't full, but it very well may be full now. Apparently they made an announcement on March 13th. Maybe shoot them an email and see what's up? good luck!
        Now up on the official web site-Full Marathon registration is closed. They are figuring out a way to accommodate the runners who still want to run and you have to join a "wait list" What totally aggravates me about this is that they never said what the cap was on the event, or even that they were close to reaching the cap number until yesterday, and now today, registration is closed and I'm on a waiting list for a race I've been training for since early December.
        xor

A grass roots marathon, huh? Better wear your spikes.

shawn44

It is closed but they have a e-mail address on the website that you can get on some type of waiting list. I know a couple people that work for Dick's and the demand far surpassed expectations.
            pitrunner

OMG, totally off topic, but your avatar made me literally LOL. "One dog goes one way and the other dog goes the other way...Then this guy's sayin 'What do you want from me?"' Classic.
                OMG, totally off topic, but your avatar made me literally LOL. "One dog goes one way and the other dog goes the other way...Then this guy's sayin 'What do you want from me?"' Classic.
                Good to know that there are other "Goodfellas" fans on Running Ahead. I received a life line today via a friend of a friend of a friend sort of thing. This gentlemen can't run the race due to injury, and he's going to sign over his registration to me tomorrow. It looks like I won't have to travel to Cincinnati for the Flying Pig after all. According to the people at the marathon, it is perfectly fine for this person to sign their registration over to me.
                  It's official. I'm in for Pittsburgh on May 3rd. Unfortunately, a very nice person's motorcycle accident was the way I got into the race, as he's still in no shape to run a full marathon and decided to sign his registration over to me, at the original early sign up cost. I promised him my best efforts to BQ. It might be a stretch this year to qualify, as my projected time is currentlyl about 7 minutes over the 3:10 cutoff, but the extra motivation will help. See you in the Steel City on May 3rd!!! Now if PItt can win the national championship.........

Imminent Catastrophe

\ Now if PItt can win the national championship.........
                    Oh, so the Steelers aren't enough for you. Sheesh.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

This is why I run

What totally aggravates me about this is that they never said what the cap was on the event, or even that they were close to reaching the cap number until yesterday, and now today, registration is closed and I'm on a waiting list for a race I've been training for since early December.
                      Not to sound like a dick....but if you've been training since December, why wait this long to sign up? Or am I the only cheap S.O.B that signs up before registration rates increase?
                      Clydesdales shouldn't run in Five Fingers!
                        I promised him my best efforts to BQ. It might be a stretch this year to qualify, as my projected time is currentlyl about 7 minutes over the 3:10 cutoff, but the extra motivation will help.
                        That does not look like the prototypical BQ course, but you will have all of RA pulling for you. Git it JC, git it!

E.J.
                        Greater Lowell Road Runners
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Oh, so the Steelers aren't enough for you. Sheesh.
                          three national records ain't never enough for da Stillers yo Evil grin Good luck JC! Glad you were able to make it in.
                            Not to sound like a dick....but if you've been training since December, why wait this long to sign up? Or am I the only cheap S.O.B that signs up before registration rates increase?
                            Fair question I was battling some ITBS issues in early January and February and wasn't real happy with how I felt. I put off signing up because I figured, as many others did, that there was no way it was going to sell out, being that it's the first Pittsburgh Marathon in 5 years. I totally underestimated the response to the marathon. Maybe the huge response was due to the fact that Pittsburgh, before it went away for 5 years, was considered one of the 5 best marathons in the U.S.A. It was the home of the Olympic trials in 1992 as well as the U.S. men's national championship in 1997. Those that have run it before coupled with the enthusiasm of those of us living here combined to sell the event out, and I don't think even the race organizers thought that was going to happen. Bottom Line: I learned my lesson and will sign up early next year. If worse comes to worse, I can sell the registration.
                              That does not look like the prototypical BQ course, but you will have all of RA pulling for you. Git it JC, git it!
                              thanks!!
                                Ok so now the Race Organziers are saying that 1,500 people will receive an e-mail that they can register for the race. They say the e-mails are going out starting today,,, but they dont say by when you should receive the e-mail and they dont want any calls. They are also not sending any rejection e-mails. So at what point should people begin to think they are not one of the lucky 1,500,, and should make plans for a different race. All in all, people are still left hanging. I dont think they handled the wait list thing very well. So on behalf of a friend of mine,,, can anyone post, if they know any more about this,, or if they have in fact been let in the race from their wait list e-mail thanks