Walking a race (Read 1589 times)

Feeling the growl again

"Overall I don’t have a problem with people who enter a race with the intention of walking the entire race or a large portion of it. At least they are making an attempt to do something physical and hopefully they will enjoy it enough to push a little harder and beat their last time." The only issue I have with this is that I don't believe encouraging someone to get off the couch and do something is the same thing as encouraging them to get off the couch and undertake one of the sport's most demanding tasks. You learn to dive on a 3-ft board in the pool, not high-diving off a 30-ft cliff. You learn how to drive in driver's ed, not by jumping into the Indy 500. There is PLENTY of room to grow in shorter races. While I want to be inclusive, I have seen FAR more people get burned by jumping to the marathon and quit altogether (returning to their former bad lifestyle) than I have seen drawn into the sport on a lasting basis. I actually would postulate that, on an individual level, we're doing more of a disservice by encourageing premature marathon running rather than participation in shorter races (that are a LOT more enjoyable and likely to create a positive experience).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

JakeKnight

I started this post because I don’t agree with some of the comments I see here that try to discourage someone from entering a race (usually a marathon) or not starting a race (again usually a marathon) that they have already entered.
      I don't think people really "discourage" it so much - its just more experienced runners trying to convey the smarter route to take. There's really no arguing with the fact that if you want to enjoy yourself, and avoid injury, and maybe approach your potential, you ought to be willing to run at least 40 miles per week. I ran my first on no training at all, and didn't run for a decade because of it. If I'd listened to that smart advice, I might be a good runner today. But hey, if you wanna run one way, way under-trained, I have no problem with it. But I'm not surprised when good runners voice a little caution. Whatever. Do your thing.
      Pet peeve!!!! Not the walkers' fault at all in the HM unless they are in phalanx formation. I will never again run a race that does this (it is the race director's fault for creating this situation).
      It's only happened to me once, on and out and back course, and I didn't even get what was happening at first. I figured I was running slow enough (3:40) so that all the halfers would be done. But they started 15 minutes or half and hour later (should have been five minutes later) ... and just as I hit mile 24 I run into big packs of very slow moving half-marathoners .... I guess running something like a 3:30 half. But at least they were the very back of the pack. It must really suck for a 2:30 marathoner, because there are whole bunches of people that run a half that slow ... you must have 4-5 miles to wade through. That's just crazy. Sooner or later somebody will get hurt.
      I agree on this one. I will not run a marathon that has a half at the same time. I’ve had one bad experience when running a 10k and having to run around 5k walkers. If 2 distances are run at the same time I will either choose the shorter or not enter at all.
      I don't mind it as long as they end differently or don't use an out and back course. I enjoy the halfers in the first 11 miles of the CMM. The only danger there is forgetting they're going only half as far and running too fast because of it.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

I’ve seen a lot of comments here relating to these large minimum mpw that should be run before entering a marathon. I reasoning is that you shouldn’t enter a race if you aren’t ready. I’m interested in hearing thoughts about those that enter races with the intention of walking. I never saw this 5-10 years ago. Maybe there were a few people that walked across the finish line but lately it seems that 1/4 - 1/3 of the race participants walk the entire race. I bothered me a little at first but unless they start in the front it does not affect my race and if anything makes my overall finish place look more impressive. Should walking entire races be discouraged or the more the merrier?
        I pretty much walked my first two 5Ks. Should it be discouraged? It all depends on whether the race has a set time that it's open or not. I know I did a 10K last year where a 11 minute/mile would you'd get swooped up. The last big event I did 7.5 hour limit on the 10K (for the people crawling), half, marathon and ultra.

Vim

mikeymike

Many races put a cap on the field size and sell out quickly. In these cases I think it's just bad manners to sign up for a race where your intention is to take a leisurely stroll from the start to the finish. Races are supposed to be an athletic competition--the spirit of athletic competition is to do your best and to try and bring out the best in your competition. To compete, honestly and fairly. Showing up with no intention of challenging ones self is not competing honestly and fairly. This has nothing to do with how fast someone is, but rather how hard they are trying. But really I don't run a lot of races that are big enough to cap the field size so I don't care that much.

Runners run

There is PLENTY of room to grow in shorter races. While I want to be inclusive, I have seen FAR more people get burned by jumping to the marathon and quit altogether (returning to their former bad lifestyle) than I have seen drawn into the sport on a lasting basis. I actually would postulate that, on an individual level, we're doing more of a disservice by encourageing premature marathon running rather than participation in shorter races (that are a LOT more enjoyable and likely to create a positive experience).
            I totally agree. I was approached last December by my 21 year old niece for advice on training for this years Los Angeles marathon. I recommended that she not attempt it this year because she didn't have an adequate base nor did she have time to train. She called me last Monday and said she ran the marathon with her BF (it took her 5 1/2 hours) and she was having so much knee pain that she could hardly walk. It seems she started having outside knee pain at mile three and pushed through to the end likely ending up with a major case of ITBS. I suspect that by the time she gets healed, running will be pretty low on her list of priorities. What a shame. Tom

A Saucy Wench

Many races put a cap on the field size and sell out quickly. In these cases I think it's just bad manners to sign up for a race where your intention is to take a leisurely stroll from the start to the finish. Races are supposed to be an athletic competition--the spirit of athletic competition is to do your best and to try and bring out the best in your competition. To compete, honestly and fairly. Showing up with no intention of challenging ones self is not competing honestly and fairly. This has nothing to do with how fast someone is, but rather how hard they are trying. But really I don't run a lot of races that are big enough to cap the field size so I don't care that much.
              But for many WALKING a marathon IS challenging themselves. Sorry, I dont care how slowly you go, a marathon is tough. In someways I would say doing it slowly is harder.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

JakeKnight

But for many WALKING a marathon IS challenging themselves. Sorry, I dont care how slowly you go, a marathon is tough. In someways I would say doing it slowly is harder.
                I think Mike's point was that some people are *not* challenging themselves. If you're strolling a race, with your dog and your baby and a bundle of balloons, stopping for pictures, and chatting on your cell phone ... maybe you could at least pick races that don't sell out? Seems a fair point. If a 7 hour marathon is truly the best you can do, fine. Good for you. But then again ... maybe you could train more and run 10k's for a while, so that 7 hours isn't the best you can do. I do agree with your last comment: being out there a long time is a bitch. The faster I finish, the easier it is. Being out there for 6 hours must hurt.

Why is it sideways?

Here we go. The battle is on! Elitist Pricks vs. Righteous Newbies. In this corner, weighing 90 lbs and obsessively pounding the pavement, we have The Elitists, who can't understand the newbie perspective because they've forgotten what it was like to start running. Their corner man is 86 year old wise-guy Arrogant Tone. In the other corner, weighing 200 lbs and with a life outside of running, we have The Newbies, who can't understand the elitist perspective because they've just starting running. Their corner man is the a-bit-too-burly Righteous Indignation. Pull up a chair and watch the action! The fight is on for the heavyweight featherweight whatever CHAMPIONSHIP OF THE WORLD. Whoever wins (if they survive) will receive as their prize the coveted TRUE MEANING OF RUNNING trophy. Good luck to both sides. May the best man win.
                  Scout7

Why's it gotta be a man, hippie? Women can fight, too, you know. Elitist prick.
                    pandajenn19

I'm going to wager by some of the elitist comments that some of you who are anti-walkers have never met a marathon walker. I don't think you are necessarily intending to be elitist, but the idea that walkers don't belong in a race, or are somehow inferior, is coming across quite strong from at least two guys above. I have a good friend who just walked her 10th marathon. And 26.2 miles is 26.2 miles, whether you run 6 minute miles, 13 minute miles, or whatever. It takes training, it takes guts. Walkers have PRs just like runners, they train, they go through ups and downs. Check the times on a marathon that separates the registered runners from walkers. There are walkers who finish in the 5 hour range. And if it takes them 7 hours? Honestly, how many people can hold a 16 min/mile pace walking 26.2 miles? I don't know anyone who would consider a marathon a 'stroll'. That's a pretty ridiculous sentiment. Maybe it can apply to some of the walkers who sign up for 5k fun run/walk events, but a marathon? Seriously.

Why is it sideways?

Why's it gotta be a man, hippie? Women can fight, too, you know. Elitist prick.
                        I actually worried about that, then decided to bite the bullet. Of course, the most arrogant and righteous position is the one I choose to occupy: the guy who's heard it all before.
                        Scout7

I actually worried about that, then decided to bite the bullet. Of course, the most arrogant and righteous position is the one I choose to occupy: the guy who's heard it all before.
                          Yeah, I know. Personally, I knew it was bound to be bad from the get-go.
                          JakeKnight

Here we go. The battle is on! Elitist Pricks vs. Righteous Newbies.
                            For what its worth, while I assumed it would go the same way you did ... its actually been a pretty civil conversation thus far. Surprisingly. MTA: nevermind. I typed too slow. Sigh.

The Greatest of All Time

Maybe they should have walking marathons seperately... Personally I have no problem with people walking as long as they stay out of the way of those of us who are racing. When I did the Ironman there was a lot of walkers on the marathon course but they pretty much stayed to the right and didn't clog up the road. That was nice.
                              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                              pandajenn19

MTA: nevermind. I typed too slow. Sigh.
                                I didn't think it was uncivil, but I will be glad to make edits if you want to point them out to me. Smile I'm completely sincere in what I said, but I was not intending to be rude.