Chicago 10-10-10 (Read 968 times)

Roxy27

my little devil

Today was an amazing day in Chicago! It was hot and I was not feeling my best but still managed to push through and finish the race! PR too, although it does not really count since it is only my second marathon.

Chicago is my home but also my favorite city in the world. It is so fun to run through all of the different neighborhoods and to be reminded of the diversity and beauty of this city.

Right now another marathon seems like a terrible idea, I can barely walk, but........ we'll see how I feel in a few days.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congratulations on your second marathon and on the PR.  I'd say it counts.  I have a good list of second races that were not PRs.

You've just about talked me into signing up for Chicago. Smile

congrats on the PR and completing the marathon in sunny & hot conditions. I watched on TV & went to the expo lol.

jfa

I ran it today Roxy for the first time and had the best marathon out of five. The city was buzzing with energy. The marathon itself was incredibly well organized for the amount of runners and the spectator support was priceless. Altough I was on pace for a 15 min PR, I wilted in the heat a bit but still beat my last one by 10 mins!

Chicago Rocks!

Nice race Joe

Current Goals: Run and stuff

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Congratulations on your second marathon and on the PR.  I'd say it counts.  I have a good list of second races that were not PRs.

+1 Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Anyone have pizza?

I ran it as well and posted my 2nd best and this was my 10th marathon. 10-10-10-10! I will say that while it's a flat course and the crowds are great, the weather for this race has been building a reputation of a negative kind, so it's not as easy as one might think. All in all, I look forward to next year!

not so good race for me.  Mikey  was right in that I'd probably settle into about a 6:30 pace, and I was in the range for most  of the first 17 miles.

I was on pace for a 2:51 for about 17 or 18 miles, then  total meltdown.

I had stopped sweating completely.

My pace slowed first to 7 min miles, then 8, then 9, then 10, then worse. 

Finished with a 3:20, far slower than what I thought possible, and my slowest marathon ever.

I spent over two hours in the medical tent throwing up and trying to retain some  fluids. 

Another live and learn marathon experience for me.  Perhaps one of these years I'll figure out how to run one of these things.

not so good race for me.  Mikey  was right in that I'd probably settle into about a 6:30 pace, and I was in the range for most  of the first 17 miles.

Finished with a 3:20, far slower than what I thought possible, and my slowest marathon ever.

I spent over two hours in the medical tent throwing up and trying to retain some  fluids. 

Another live and learn marathon experience for me.  Perhaps one of these years I'll figure out how to run one of these things.

Tom summed it up pretty well on how my race went too.  Was on pace to go less that 2:50, had to hit a port-a-potty at around Mile 17 and then it all went down hill from there.  I went off and on running until the 20 mile mark and then walked it in from there.  My quads were so damn sore I couldn't run anymore.  Not feeling good this morning either.  BIG lesson learned....XT-ing the full month before the race just isn't the same.  You need the time on feet and work the muscles the way they are going to work during the race.

Oh well, I enjoyed the sights, the crowd and the atmosphere the whole way.  Despite me walking it in the last 10k, I had a great time with the crowd and made the best of it.  Finished 3:40.  And as Tom put it, I too will figure out how to run one of these one of these years.

Roxy27

my little devil

Wow! finishing in 3:20 and 3:40 is amazing to me. I am sure it is all relative and doesn't feel so hot to not perform as you wanted to, but really props to you guys!

Great job! I hope you are recovering today.

you guys did well despite the problems!

my first 8k i didnt take any fluids but felt really good at the half. then at 17 i also hit a bump and felt some crippling cramps. i immediately took 2 accell gels and increased my fluids to 2 gatorade, 2 water at least every other station, i got lucky and didnt do too much damage so i was able to keep my dignity intact. the fans were great, some even brought fruit which i definitely helped myself to. this was my first marathon and i finished well within my sub 4 hr goal. bib #44240

Same here...my first marathon was pretty disastrous. I was right on target up to about mile 19. Here were my average paces in 5K increments. 9:07, 8:58, 9:00, 8:50, 8:53, 8:47, 9:01, 13:57, 13:12, 12:02. Looking back now at my heart rate, I see that I was working harder than I thought in the beginning of the race. Had I paid more attention, I would have scaled back on my pace and perhaps enjoyed the latter part of the race. Hitting the wall really hurt my time. I was on target to run it in maybe 3:55-4:00 and I didn't stumble in until 4:27. Oh well, I guess I will know better next time...I definitely don't feel satisfied with my performance and want to do another one even though I was in a lot of pain.

2010 Goals: Run 1500 miles Sub 22 minute 5K Sub 37 minute 8K Sub 1:45 HM Complete a marathon
                          nextyearcubs

It was an OK race for me.  I had higher expectations, but the weather had an effect on things and I finished in 4:11:07.

I ran 1:59:31 the first half, but I didn't feel real good.  I had stomach cramps most of the way, so I stopped taking gels.  My heart rate was higher than I'd have liked, but I just ignored the thing and pressed on the best I could.  I felt like I was working too hard to maintain the pace I wanted.

At the halfway point I was starting to get tired, and it was only getting warmer out, so between that and the other issues, I decided to back off a touch.  I made it the rest of the way and still had fun.  I was cramping up during the last 5K, but I walked through a few aid stations (not like you could run through them anyways), and took a few ten second walk breaks to let the cramps die down.  I felt pretty good at the finish, but my quads were really sore yesterday.

I'm proud because I think I ran a good race.  I didn't give in early when things didn't go well, but when it became clear that I wouldn't break four hours, I dialed it back just enough to make it to the finish without totally falling apart.

5K 20:20 9/17/11 13.1 1:36:58 6/12/11 26.2 3:34:19 9/23/2012

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I was on ~3:08 pace but was already fading at the half.   The same issue that got me in 2008 struck again- a stitch that eventually made my ribs hurt. It even started to bother me at the same point in the race... 15k.  By 25k I was jogging.   No such issues in other cooler marathons at the same pace..

My wife had suggested that I wait for her if I wasn't going to make my time so that's exactly what I did.  When my last gasp, bottom of the barrel 3:20 time went out the window at mile 23 I stopped in the shade and waited.  20 mins later along came my wife and we finished together.  I posted a PW of 3:45 but don't care since it's the same as a 3:21(no BQ).  Besides, I helped my wife get through the final miles of her first marathon and BQ. 

I felt fine at the finish except for my ribs, which still hurt.  My lesson: confirmation that I run shit marathons in warm weather and hence should be more conservative.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

DanB

This was my first marathon in close to 15 years.  My goal was to finish somewhat comfortably, 4:30.  So I signed up with the Nike 4:30 pace group at the expo and pinned my pace on my back. 

Marathon morning I lined up about 50' behind the 4:30 pacers, when we finally started moving THEY WERE GONE!  I never saw them again despite running 9:34 and 9:53 for the first two miles.  Discussions with other 4:30 pace group members indicated that the pace group leaders, "Just took off".  This was disappointing as I have a real hard time maintaining pace and would have enjoyed running with a group.Cry

Not that I would have been able to reach that goal with the heat, but who knows?  Finished just under 5 hours and was happy with my effort.

2013 Goals.......