Can I wear the shirt if I didn't run the race? (Read 1151 times)

AnneCA

A while ago I signed up for the Bay to Breakers -- a huge, huge, huge race across SF. I've never run it before, but now I'm in shape to do so, and I was really looking forward to it. I even sprang for the extra $$$ for the technical tee-shirt. Now it turns out that I'll be out of town that weekend. Best friend's wedding -- turns out you can get PG "by accident" at 40, and, no, they won't move the wedding for me. Wink It's all good, and I certainly can't think of a better reason to miss a race. Of course, there are no refunds. I could pick up the race packet and shirt during the week before I take off. But wouldn't it be odd to run around in a shirt from a race held when I was on the other side of the continent? What are your rules on that? Are there some creative options I'm missing here?
    Mr R

Go ahead and wear it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Unless it's very explicit (e.g. Ironman "finisher" shirts), then the shirt is just a promotional souvenir, not an award.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

Two questions. 1) If you had run the race, how would you feel if someone who didn't run it wore the race shirt? 2) Why are you asking? Are you looking for absolution for something you feel is kinda wrong? If it was me, I wouldn't wear the shirt. But my opinion only counts for me..and my DW....no wait just me. Big grin Enjoy the wedding. Cheers
          Gee. This is an odd one. It's not like you DNF it. And true: it is not a finisher's shirt. What color is the shirt? Maybe you could write on it with a Sharpie: "I woulda ran this, but I went to my best friend's shotgun wedding instead." I would totally do that. Especially cuz it's a tech shirt. Jeez, w/ a race and all, your friend coulda done some better family planning. Wink Other options: Only wear the shirt inside out. Run the course on your own, cross out the date w/ Sharpie. Wear and and tell the story of your friend to who(m?)ever asks. Or just say, it's a long story, you wouldn't understand. We runners are an odd lot when it comes to shirt rules. Could you imagine not wearing your fave sport team's shirt/hat becaue you didn't play for them?
            I'm a huge Blue Jays fan and often wear a Jays cap in the summer. I don't, however, play for the Jays. One of my favourite t-shirts is actually from a 10k I ran while anemic and dropped out of. I wear it all the time. In an odd coincidence, I actually wound up interviewing the winner of that race on an unrelated topic for a school newspaper while wearing the shirt. It's just a t-shirt.
              It's just a t-shirt.
              Truer words were never spoken. I think you'd have to be wound pretty tight to turn this into a moral or ethical issue. You paid for it; you own it. Period.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

The technical shirts have a built in self destruct device that reads your chip time. If you try to wear one without actually running the race they will burst into flames. Tom
                  yep, wear it.
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    it's just a shirt - a tech one, at that - wear it!!
                    http://rundangerously.blogspot.com

shonan marathon, girl

You paid for the shirt, so you should go ahead and wear it. I broke my toe last summer and couldn't do a long distance triathlon. The entry fee was $240. Several weeks after the race finished I received a package containing a hat and other freebies from the race. I also missed another swim race as well and they gave me the knapsack and other nutrional items as well. I have NO reason to feel guilty about wearing or using the items.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

JimR

Of course. The shirt's got nothing at all to do with finishing. It's part of the registration package.
                        AnneCA

The technical shirts have a built in self destruct device that reads your chip time. If you try to wear one without actually running the race they will burst into flames.
                          Good thing I wasn't eating anything when I read that.
                          I think you'd have to be wound pretty tight to turn this into a moral or ethical issue.
                          Well, yeah. Wink But running helps with that. Thanks all for the advice!
                            Well, I wouldn't throw it away or hide it in a drawer or box forever. I would wear it on training runs, around the house, when washing the car or mowing the grass, etc. However, I would not wear it in a public or social setting, such as to other races, shopping, movies, dining, etc. I do think that, unlike a fan wearing a Yankees cap or a football jersey, wearing race paraphenalia in public projects a message. When I see someone wearing such items in public settings, I assume that they participated in the event. And I assume that others think the same of me when I wear them. But, that's me. Others feel differently about it and see no difference between wearing shirts from races that they didn't run and wearing paraphenalia that "advertise" other sports events, teams, schools, etc. And I understand and respect that point of view. Bottom line, suit yourself and don't worry about what others think.

A Saucy Wench

Well, I wouldn't throw it away or hide it in a drawer or box forever. I would wear it on training runs, around the house, when washing the car or mowing the grass, etc. However, I would not wear it in a public or social setting, such as to other races, shopping, movies, dining, etc.
                              I would NEVER wear a tech t to mow the grass or wash the car. Waste of a good shirt. If its a good shirt, wear it for training runs...tech shirts are overpriced, might as well wear the one you paid for. I am not a fan of wasting good money. Personally, I wouldnt wear it to other races or the gym, etc. just because I ALWAYS get asked about the race with the one shirt I wear to most of my races (It is bright orange so it does attract attention). Especially with a popular event people want to know about it. It would just get old saying "er...umm...I didnt actually run".

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I wouldn't worry about it and I'd wear it. You paid for it. Have you contacted the race director to see if you could defer your registration for a year? In that case I wouldn't pick up my packet in the first place, but I'm assuming that "no refunds" means you checked and they declined. When I just ran ING, a friend of mine was volunteering all day Saturday. At the end of hte day, the volunteers get to take home the shirts. Since he wasn't passing them out this year, he didn't get as many (last year he went home with 10 of the shirts) but he did get enough to give me a few extra. So I have 1 marathon tech shirt for registering, 1 marathon tech shirt from my friend, and a half marathon tech shirt from my friend. I'll run in any of the 3.

Run to Win
                                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)