Weather Limitations on Running Outside (Read 1121 times)

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Storms freak me out and I can get an exercise-induced asthma in high humidity, so those two conditions are TM time for me. Love the fall and winter time here! We do get the odd freak ice storm and that's a no-go too.
    ~ Fly ~
    Only as much as I dream can I be.
    veggies on the run
      I won't run in lightning. Everything else is fair game.
        Lightning is it. I've run year round here in Michigan the last seven years and have pretty much experienced everything except temps over 90F. Tom
          Won't run During a Blizzard, Lightning, Freezing rain, Driving Rain, Temps < -20c="" or="" /> 35C , Winds in excess of 80 MPH, or a Leaf game.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

dfffff

I don't run during hurricanes, tornadoes or lightning storms. I run during everything else.

I try to avoid running in lightning or ice storms due to safety issues, and if I am running and my eyes freeze shut then I'll cut the run short. Otherwise, I'm game for most weather, although we don't get extreme heat here in Maine.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

rlemert

Compared to most of the replies here I'm a real weather wimp. I don't like being too cold, so I wind up getting a lot of 'Y' time during the winter. (Fortunately NC doesn't get that cold.) I also don't like to go out in the rain because unlike Oregon (where I grew up) with it's gentle rains, the rain here comes six inches at a time. In the summer I've usually gone ahead and run outside unless it's gotten over 95 F when I'm ready to go out. I could do it, but it's just as easy to avoid the risk and head to the 'Y'. (This summer I've been avoiding the sun more because of recent Mohs surgery.) One nice thing about my local 'Y' is the fact that it has a 16 lap/mile indoor track in the main exercise room, so I'm not stuck with having the treadmill as my only indoor running option. (However, unlike most here I've never been bothered by running on the treadmill.)
                celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Torrential, ice-cold rain (torrential warm rain is ok), lightning and ice storms. This winter I refuse to run on the TM just b/c it is cold (I was a wimp last year).

Chris
                  PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

My Hero

Actually thought I could run in the heat seeing than I live in Phoenix. Attempted a 6er. the other afternoon when it was 108 degrees. Started puking at mile 2, turned around and walked home. I think my limit is nothing hotter than 105.
                    Mr R

Lightning is the only thing that would give me pause. Severe cold (-20F) doesn't bother me that much. You can always just add another layer. It's really not that hard to stay warm. The trick is dealing with the first 10 minutes (since you'd better be cold when you head out the door, otherwise you'll end up way too hot). The worst weather is torrential rain at just above freezing temperatures. You've got to have at least Gore-Tex or some of its more advanced decedents. Sometimes, there's really no alternative to a rubber slicker, since even Gore-Tex will let a little water through. If it's 35F, water can be pretty bad stuff.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

No lightning, either. Wind chills in the below 0F (even ambient around 0 is doable) or ice--not enough ice here to justify yak-traks. I've done mid-90's temps but that's the upper reaches and it's no fun. TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

De-slacking in progress

What are your limits for what you won't run in?.....
                          On Saturdays from 12-4 pm during OSU football games On Sundays from 1-4 pm during Browns games, ..... and lightning

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Rundadrun27

The coldest weather I've ran outside in is -8 degrees Celsius. If the roads and sidewalks are too icy, I will not run outdoors either. I don't mind running in the rain if it started during my run, but I refuse to continue my workout if there is Lightning.

Prince of Fatness

Add me to the lightning list. Today I went out for a 6 miler. I stayed close to home because skies were threatening. After 2 miles the lightning started so I headed inside. After dinner it cleared up enough to go back out for 4 more miles. I ran in a sun shower and saw a rainbow, so it was worth the wait.

Not at it at all. 

evanflein

I've never experienced a lot of weather conditions, so don't know whether I'd run in it or not. I haven't run in temps over 90, but that was pretty uncomfortable so not sure what I'd do if it were hotter. My cold cut off for long runs is about -25F, but all these things have to come with a caveat... I may do a 16 miler (and have) at -25... but I'd probably go out for a mile or so at -40F, just haven't done it. I have a treadmill for average daily runs when it's just icky out, but I'll run in just about anything at least once to say I did it! Big grin