Running with a Head Lamp (Read 1134 times)

I borrowed a head lamp on last night's run.  It wasn't actually a head lamp but a clip on light to the bill of my hat.  It did okay.  It put the light where I needed it but could have been a little brighter.  One thing I noticed was afterwards i had a headache and felt slightly queasy.  Now this could have been from the fact I had a very small lunch and no afternoon snack before my run but I am also wondering if it could have been from the head lamp and my concentration on that pool of light for 5 miles.  Just wondering if anyone has experienced that.

Also, I can't keep borrowing the one I used last night and need to get my own.  Any recommendations on a brighter light?  Is there a benefit on the color of light?  The one I used was blue, but I know they make them in clear and red. 

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I don't know the answer to your specific question.I'm an early morning runner. I have a clip on light that DIL got on clearance at Target for maybe a buck or two. When the batteries get weak it can give me similar symptoms to what you describe.

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

May want to do a search for some recommendations.

I have some Petzls. When you say blue, do you mean a blueish tint, like from LEDs? That's the way to go, I think. I have combo Petzl with 3 LEDs and a regular light. The other two are much older.

Flashlights have their benefits, too. Fenix seems popular, but pricey.

Many of those little clip on lights aren't very bright.

As for color, the red is usually so you don't blind people around the campfire. I'd stick with regular color, ie, white/LED bluish for brightness.

I've never gotten a headache.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I have a cap from L.L. Bean with two small LEDs in the bill, which I used all last year.  I went to replace the batteries this year, and found a clip-on 5 LED bill light that came with the batteries at at Ocean State Job Lot for like $3 - almost what just the batteries would have cost.  I cannot believe how bright this thing is!  Now half my running club has gone down there and picked up the same light. 

Before the LL Bean hat I ran with a Suunto elastic band headlamp for camping, and there's no comparison from either of them to this - the brim light is much brighter, and very light. 

I have never noticed any queasiness or headaches, but if you want to have a larger lighted area, get two and put them side by side - they will fit (one of the guys in our club does this). 

Thanks for the replies.  I think over the weekend I'll head over to Academy Sports and see what they've got.  The one I was using had 3 LED's and I think if I can find something with more.  I think that will help on the brightness.

The headache/queasiness is probably just me.  I've always been prone to motion sickness so I think a wider lit area will help.

jfa

Now that it gets dark so early,I have been thinking about these too.Mostly I run where there are no cars,so being seen is not an  issue for me. On the paved bike path I go on at night, my eyes adjust to the dark and it's not too bad. If I use a flashlight, that causes night blindness.I think that there are lights that have red or green lights that don't spoil your vision when you turn them off.

xor

Try a handheld instead of (or in addition to) the headlamp.  See if this helps with the motion sickness issue.

I swtiched to a handheld a year or so ago and almost never wear a headlamp for running.  The handheld allows me to sweep the trail and wherever without moving my head from side to side. And it is better for me regarding depth perception.

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Try a handheld instead of (or in addition to) the headlamp.  See if this helps with the motion sickness issue.

I swtiched to a handheld a year or so ago and almost never wear a headlamp for running.  The handheld allows me to sweep the trail and wherever without moving my head from side to side. And it is better for me regarding depth perception.

What brand do you use? I need one too...I keep falling in a the same hole in the trailer park that smells like onion rings...Anyways...it's dark and I wanna try to see that damn hole.

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

xor

Onion rings?  Now I am hungry.

Fenix!

You can buy them online. I bought mine from amazon or REI, I don't recall.  They can be spendy BUT they are indestructible and battery misers.  Mine uses a AAA battery.  They make others with sorta weird batteries (that are smaller, so the flashlight is smaller, and the battery probably lasts longer).

Not to be confused with El Fenix, a Mexican food chain here in Dallas.  Nor Fenix, a club in Seattle.

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Onion rings?  Now I am hungry.

Fenix!

You can buy them online. I bought mine from amazon or REI, I don't recall.  They can be spendy BUT they are indestructible and battery misers.  Mine uses a AAA battery.  They make others with sorta weird batteries (that are smaller, so the flashlight is smaller, and the battery probably lasts longer).

Not to be confused with El Fenix, a Mexican food chain here in Dallas.  Nor Fenix, a club in Seattle.

It makes me hungry every time I run through there...but it is kinda odd how it always smells the same way???

Thank you for the info...I don't want one with a weird battery 'cause I will never remember to buy the correct battery once it runs out! 

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

You can buy them online. I bought mine from amazon or REI, I don't recall.  blah blah blah. wittiness.

Which model, or roughly, what was the retail price? I may get one, but there are so many varieties, so I just figure if it's good enough for a guy in pink, it's good enough for me. Thanks.

go barefoot

LedLenser H7 - super bright, focusable, dimmable (you'll need it), angle adjustable, robust, weatherproof, lightweight, battery pack (3xAAA) on the rear... Made in Germany. It's what I bought this year after many unsatisifying experiences with various headlamps from different manufacturers in various price categories. I see it's available at Amazon.com for $44. I think I paid 42 Euro.

I'm a fan. I finally found my headlamp, hooray! Big grin

The newest version has one LED, I forget the designator, but it's extremely bright and encased in a highly polished, mirrored lens.

The "R" for "Rechargable" version comes with a charging station for $55.

Regarding the OP and the queasy feeling - it seems to me that a handheld could make it worse due to the constant swinging back and forth. But maybe it's just the opposite... never heard that one before. I've also never used a handheld before, so maybe I'm not quite done with my search just yet. I suspect the problem has more to do with the lack of food though(?).

When the sun comes up, you'd better be running

AXes

I had the same queasy feeling with the clip-on headlamp.  Like you, I get motion sickness so it sounds like that may be your problem.

Now I use a $5 Coleman one from Walmart with a stretchy strap that fits around my waist.   I can see just as well and no headache.

Do you know the feeling I know? When your legs have disappeared, and there is only your heart, your lungs, and your eyes skimming disembodied through the air? - Jeff

AnneCA

I have a Petzl Tikka.  I run with it when I need to, but if there's any kind of moonlight, distant streetlight, etc., I turn it off.  I don't like that little pool of light effect.  Not that it gives me a headache, it just feels . . . confining or something. 

You know what I notice most when I've got it on?  There are herds of animals out there in the predawn hours.  Even in what seems like it's far beyond the pool of light, I'll see little beady eyes reflecting out at me from underneath some tree, bush or parked car.  I suppose they're there all the time, it's just that they're ordinarily not visible to me.  But the LED can pick up the eyes from a surprising distance. 

xor

Which model, or roughly, what was the retail price? I may get one, but there are so many varieties, so I just figure if it's good enough for a guy in pink, it's good enough for me. Thanks.

Well, I am in Dallas and my light is in Seattle, so I'm guessing a bit.  You want the ones in the Q5 line.

I have the LD01, or something similar.  Uses a single AAA battery.  Amazon has it for $36.

The similar PD20 is smaller.  Uses a CR123a lithium battery.  Costs $54.  The battery life on this one is longer and I think it is brighter (though on both models you can set the brightness).

Neither one weighs much of anything.

The CR123a may not be a 'weird battery' to some, but I can't find it when I'm in "oh shit" mode in a pinch in the middle of nowhere... so using a AAA meant a lot to me.

And yes, like I said, a bit spendy.  But these are indestructable and I've been on the same AAA battery after probably 60ish hours of use.

I also have a tikka headlamp.  It makes my head hurt sometimes, but not other times.  I like it WITH my handheld, but I don't like it without my handheld.  Too much turning my head, and depth perception is a real problem for me.

But then again, I'm Mr Magoo.