Tell me about Trail Running (Read 710 times)

AnneCA

My work schedule has suddenly cleared for the next few weeks, and I'm looking around for a race to do this weekend or next. There's a 10k that looks really interesting, but it's a trail run. And I'm not a trail runner . . . or I don't think I am. I have run sometimes on the fire trails in the East Bay Hills, but those are wide dirt roads. Still, I've been surprised by how much more attention I had to pay to my footing even on those (I'd have thought the sidewalks of Oakland counted as more or less off-road :wink: ). And the race I'm considering is on single-track. Pre-kids we did a lot of hiking, and there are a lot of really beautiful trails around here, and steady schedule of races on them, so it seems like widening my race options to include some trail races would be a good thing, although I couldn't do a lot of my day-to-day runs on trails. So, I guess my question is, could I mix in some trail races even if I'm almost exclusively a road runner? Or is it just a different animal altogether? And, why are trail running shoes different than regular running shoes?
      I'd definitely mix in some trail running to get some experience. Trails are fun. Trail shoes tend to be beefier, to protect from rocks/roots, and have more rugged tread. Not everyone uses them for trails. Depending on the trail, you may not need them. But, it's always and excuse for another shoe!
        Do it. I ran my first trail HM in March and had a great time. Regular running shoes should work just fine.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I do most of my easy/long runs on a gravel/dirt loop in a local park. Not exactly trail running, but I find it doesn't beat my legs up as much as running on the road all the time. Just mix in some of your faster runs on the road and track and you should be fine.
          MikeB-BoR

I ran 5 miles last week on some single-track mountain bike trails. The ones I went on were in a very hilly area, so lots of ups and downs. You definetly need to pay more attention to your footing while going down some of the steep areas. I partially skied down some of them. It was a much tougher 5 mile run then on the road. I will say I had a blast though. It was cool to run in and out of wooded areas (watch out for the ticks!). Mike

Goals :
            •Drop to 180 #s and hold steady around that weight 

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Go for it. Just don't hold yourself to any preconceived pace. Pacing is much harder to predict out on trails.
              Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Queen of 3rd Place

Once or twice I've had the opportunity to do some trail running - WHAT A BLAST!! No problem coming off the road, although it did slow me down quite a bit, partly due to crazy terrain, but also, as you said, watching your footing - but it was all part of the fun. Oh, yeah, and that was in my regular running shoes. Arla

Ex runner

Go for it. Trail races are fun. Just line up farther back then you might normally to let the experienced trail runners go ahead of you as you'll be slower than you would be on roads. If you'd like some specific advice, I recommend reading these two articles: Trail Running 101 Trail Running for Road Runners The first is a summary of a clinic I attended that was put on by some ultramarathoners in my area, and the second is general advice for how to get out on the trails as a road runner and the differences to be aware of.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

AnneCA

Okay, I registered! Thanks all for the encouragement -- I'll post a race report afterwards (5/10). If it's all about me being run down by uber-fit Marin-ites who are gearing up for the Dipsea . . . well, then at least I'll be able to say I tried a trail run.
                    victwa

Trail running is the best! I started running with Tamalpa (www.tamalparunners.org) a couple of years ago when I worked in Marin and now I run almost exclusively on trails. I think trails are easier on the joints and much prettier than running with a bunch of cars. Marin is definitely a trail runner's Mecca, but rhe East Bay has some amazing trail options too. My latest project is to try and put together the largest list possible of trail runs in the Bay Area. The start: flirtyndirty.blogspot.com-- the goal is to put together a comprehensive website at some point, but this is the beginning. Two other helpful websites for trails: marintrailruns.com and bahiker.com Yay trails!