Another reason for obesity epidemic (Read 821 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

VictorN

It's sad, really. Processed food is so much more profitable for corporations while real food is healthier and cheaper. So what do they sell in poor neighborhoods...profitable processed foods. Shame! Victor

Runs with ALTITUDE!

Obesity is a growing problem, but it's not an epidemic Epidemic: (American Heritage Dictionary) Spreading rapidly and extensively by infection and affecting many individuals in an area or a population at the same time.

Runner

What is available would change if the market for such foods existed, but unfortunately with our society being what it is a very small percentage of people demand high quality food. Like most things the misinformation and bombardment of consumers with cheaper and lesser alternatives yields an outcome that will only lead to more health problems on down the road. It should be a political plaltform for people to improve people's eating habits. If people are informed they will unite and demand better treatment. Most just don't know any better. It is hard to define where we as a society can attack this touchy issue. Most people see nutritional advice as critcism even if it isn't meant that way.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

I doubt this is an information related problem. Even if you just watch TV and avoid reading anything you know fresh produce is a lot better for you than processed food. The problem is that a grocery store apparently cannot turn a profit in the poor areas highlighted in the article. It is not clear how you fix that if you do not know why and I have no idea why.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/