registered for Chicago but injured....:( (Read 639 times)

this is why I run....

I have plantar faciitis and have been off running for 3 weeks now with little improvement. it was so bad I couldn't walk a when I stopped running. I'm registered for Chicago marathon Oct 12, 2008. I don't think I can defer it to next year. anyone out there make it out of plantar faciitis 5 weeks before a marathon?

Prince of Fatness

How sure are you about deferring? That would be my first choice. Email the RD and explain your situation, maybe you'll get lucky. If you can't defer then you have to decide whether to run it or not. I think it is safe to assume that, since you haven't been able to train, you will not be able to run you're best race. If it were me the priority would be to knock out the PF, so if I thought I could run without setting myself back with that, I probably would. Otherwise, I would reluctantly bag the race and chalk it up to bad luck. I haven't ever had to deal with PF. Hopefully others that have will chime in. Good luck.

Not at it at all. 

Bugs

I have plantar faciitis and have been off running for 3 weeks now with little improvement. it was so bad I couldn't walk a when I stopped running. I'm registered for Chicago marathon Oct 12, 2008. I don't think I can defer it to next year. anyone out there make it out of plantar faciitis 5 weeks before a marathon?
        What have you tried for treatment? While I've never had that, I've had lots of soft tissue injuries and I highly recommend graston treatment. Find a certified chiropractor or physical therapist that knows what they are doing. I did not run Twin Cities last year because of achilies injury even after 4 wks no running, graston took care of it. Has reoccurred training for the marathon this year, one treatment and I'm back on the road.

Bugs

C-R

No PF experience here but a personal story. I tweaked an achilles prior to '07 CMM. About four weeks out. Reduced miles and tried some PT/massage therapy. Decided to HTFU and do the marathon. Fast forward to the marathon - I did some serious damage on mile 17 (a nice little hill) and had to gimp it to the finish. It took me 6+ months to get back to pain free running. Here's a question for you - is this the first/last marathon you will ever run? If so, perhaps you should try some of the other advice for rest, treatment, and reduced times (perhaps a Galloway run/walk might work). If not, ask for the deferrment or sell the bib (I know that's not really allowed but its been done lots of times) to someone from your local running club or whatever. Think long term and best of luck on getting healed.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

this is why I run....

What have you tried for treatment? While I've never had that, I've had lots of soft tissue injuries and I highly recommend graston treatment. Find a certified chiropractor or physical therapist that knows what they are doing. I did not run Twin Cities last year because of achilies injury even after 4 wks no running, graston took care of it. Has reoccurred training for the marathon this year, one treatment and I'm back on the road.
            graston ???? anyone know what this is? I've never heard of it. thanks
            xor

Google "graston" or "graston technique" and you will find out more than you want to know. I consider it to be a 'chiropractor thing', though it's probably broader than that.

this is why I run....

thanks. I'm seeing a Chriro and got xrays and will find out more this week.