Excessive Sleep (Read 727 times)

I'm 22 years old that's been a runner since middle school. After graduating from undergrad last year, my running was spotty, but for a New Year's resolution, I've decided to start a streak of running everyday. I'm starting off with 3 miles (7:45 - 7:30 pace) everyday, which is not all that of a challenge to me, I just don't want to get ahead of myself. My problem is this: Since I've started running, I'm sleeping at least 11 hours a night, easily. I'm not sore, I'm not tired throughout the day, and I feel healthy, but is this too much sleep? And do you think it's caused by my new running trend?
    >>==C-C==> 2009 Goals 4:14.9 - Mile 15:59 - 5000 26:59 - 5 Mile 1:15:00 - 1/2
      It's probably related - especially if you're running every day. But if you're not sore, aren't tired during the day, your runs are good quality, and you have the hours in your schedule to be able to sleep that long, then I would say keep it up until one of those things change. I have to say, though, that I'm jealous. I would kill maim to be able to sleep 11 hours a night!
      -Monica

Slow and steady wins the race means a lot of fast people pass you.

A Saucy Wench

It's probably related - especially if you're running every day. But if you're not sore, aren't tired during the day, your runs are good quality, and you have the hours in your schedule to be able to sleep that long, then I would say keep it up until one of those things change. I have to say, though, that I'm jealous. I would kill maim to be able to sleep 11 hours a night!
        I'd maim or kill for 8 at this point. If you were spotty before the body might just be adjusting to the change. The extra sleep is probably helping you recover more thoroughly. I would guess in a few weeks it will settle out.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Cool. Thanks for the insight so far. I was a little worried about it (not enough to keep me from sleeping though), but I'll forget about it for the time being. With classes starting tomorrow, I'll be shocked if I'm getting 9 hours, but hopefully I don't feel the effects. Again, thanks for the help though.
          >>==C-C==> 2009 Goals 4:14.9 - Mile 15:59 - 5000 26:59 - 5 Mile 1:15:00 - 1/2
            Too much sleep shouldn't be any sort of a problem....it could be an indicator that something else is wrong but I very much doubt it. I think most of us would kill to be in your position right now Smile.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."