Calling JDF (Read 1026 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

This may be the most productive thread ever. Is it possible to help a person who has never even responded to the thread where people are trying to help him/her. I've decided that if it is not the gu then it must be something wrong with his sports bra. Lord knows we have enough of those threads going on around here. No girls don't go getting your panties in a bunch, well those of you who wear them while running, this was just a joke!
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    xor

If JDF wants some help, he'll ask. He's reflecting, per what he wrote in other threads and that is a fine thing. Since this thread exists, I'll offer up one thing. JDF, you like to post all kinds of whizbang graphs from your HRM, and you seem to treat it as THE singular source of information which you can/do rely on. As you've had several poor experiences to date, you might ask yourself if this is possibly a suboptimal way to play. Example: you asked about treadmill training, and I offered up that you should add a tiny bit of incline... 1 or 1.5. This was based on several years of experience on the treadmill, including one training window done entirely on the treadmill that ended in a marathon PR. More importantly, it matches with what pretty much 100% of actual experts (of which I am not) say. You chose to disregard this based on, it seems, what your groovy HRM graph showed you. And, when that groovy graph showed that your HR was low, you didn't come to the rather obvious conclusion "hey, perhaps that is because 0 on the treadmill is easier than a flat road". Instead, you went with option B: "I should speed up!" *and* you decided to insult me and talk shit about it. Maybe, perhaps you should revisit how you are utilizing your HRM. And maybe try another unit. At your race, your HRM didn't match the rest of your body's signals... yet after the race, you still seem to be basing your conclusions on the HR data. Perhaps the data were bad. Also, well, you should expect an elevated HR on race day. It's race day. I'm sorry you had a bad race. If you wish to try again, there will be ample opportunities. And slow down on some of those training runs. A 10 miler a few days before your race with lots of miles below your target MP (and, as it turns out, a target MP that was probably beyond your capabilities) was the last of many red flags. Good luck, and that's sincere.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Perhaps the data were bad.
        Kudos to srlopez for properly recognizing that data are plural.
        Maybe, perhaps you should revisit how you are utilizing your HRM.
        Best use for a HRM (besides paperweight) -- Set it to alarm at 80%max HR, and run slow enough on your easy days that it doesn't alarm.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

JDF: If nothing else gets you back to running it should be the four pages of the people who care and hope you BQ at some point. Excluding this point of course:
          Instead, you went with option B: "I should speed up!" *and* you decided to insult me and talk shit about it.
          I believe they call that tough love.
            2011 Goals:

Why is it sideways?

Love is blind, as they say.
            xor

I'd split the thing you quoted into two parts. The first part (the option B part) is extremely important to the point I was trying to make. The second part (the talk shit part), fair point. That said, he asked for help and I offered sincere help. And it wasn't like I wrote "look at the ostrich". Anyhoo, the first part of that quote is amazingly important to the stuff preceding it that wasn't quoted. Ok then.

Lazy idiot

No reporter worth their tabloid ink uses quotes in context. Perhaps Bearcat works for the Cincy Enquirer.

Tick tock

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

The Enquire is a hack paper no doubt. I don't even want to talk about it. Not sure which is worse - Enquire or the Bengals. All I know is thank goodness we have the internet and I am a Patriots fan. srlopez - If I included the whole quote then it wouldn't be nearly as funny! Your a harsh guy but JDF is tough he can handle it. I truly believe JDF will be back with a vengance. I will be his number one fan! Maybe he will come to cincy and run the Flying Pig so that we can either both qualify together or go get a beer together.
                    2011 Goals:
                  mikeymike

we can either both qualify together or go get a beer together.
                    False dichotomy.

Runners run

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

logical fallacy
                        2011 Goals:
                      xor

Enquirer.

Lazy idiot

Tick tock

mikeymike

Yahtzee!

Runners run

Menace to Sobriety

Whoa........what ostrich?

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Why is it sideways?

Your a harsh guy bearcat but I appreciate you're honest analysis and the love you have shown JDF. Too bad this is not equally reciprocated by the people who want to nitpick with definitions about a real runner and by picking out obtuse logical fallacios. I do think that your right on. There is nothing to learn from the way other people run and we all have to figure out on our own how to run. I'm sure that JDF (god rest his soul) is smilling down on you from wherever he's gone. Best of luck with your running goals and don't listen to the pickers of nits!