Till Death Do Us Part? (Read 1475 times)

I have been married for 37 years. I am a runner and my husband hates to sweat. I didn't take up running until 4 years ago, but I always eked out the time to go for walks so he is used to me taking time to do what I enjoy. He is my biggest cheerleader and brags about me to our friends. He keeps saying I am crazy when I go running in all kinds of weather but is still supportive. He has interests I don't share, but the fact that we spend time doing things apart, gives us something to talk about in the evening. We lasted this long so I guess whatever we are doing is working. Bottom line- it doesn't' matter if your SO is a runner or not. What matters is mutual respect.

Jackie

I was hammered the night I met my wife. Wouldn't have given her a second thought if my friend hadn't wanted to go out with her friend and the caveat was to double date. We've been married 22 years and have weathered the bad and enjoyed the good. I took up running seriously two years ago and she put up with it--I try to be as unobtrusive as possible. The only time she gives me crap is when I come back all bloody from taking a header on the trail. Blush Black eye Big grin TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Hey JK, I'm almost in the same situation as you, except I'm the male and my wife is the one that hates to sweat. We've been married almost 34 years and I took up running four years ago as well. Although I played a number of sports off and on and tried to keep somewhat busy. My wife was a standout athelete in High School and played varsity volleyball her freshman year in college and then suddenly quit. Truthfully, sine then about the only continuous activity were the few years we bowled together. Like your spouse, she is very supportive of me and pretty understanding about preparing late meals around my running schedule etc. Don't get me wrong, I love my wife and she has been my number one friend for 36 years. However there is some decline in our relationship as she does little to nothing to care for herself. She won't even tell me what her weight is, but I can guess it's over 200 lbs. I want to be active and she likes to sit, eat and drink. I like those things as well, but in moderation. Well, didn't mean to go down this path, i just saw a lot of simarlarities between us and thought I'd respond. LPH
        I have been married for 37 years. I am a runner and my husband hates to sweat. I didn't take up running until 4 years ago, but I always eked out the time to go for walks so he is used to me taking time to do what I enjoy. He is my biggest cheerleader and brags about me to our friends. He keeps saying I am crazy when I go running in all kinds of weather but is still supportive. He has interests I don't share, but the fact that we spend time doing things apart, gives us something to talk about in the evening. We lasted this long so I guess whatever we are doing is working. Bottom line- it doesn't' matter if your SO is a runner or not. What matters is mutual respect.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"