Do you run on the sidewalk or in the road? (Read 1156 times)

Prince of Fatness

Do you guys honestly think that the asphalt is "soft" enough to make any difference?
    We've been through this before.

Not at it at all. 

I notice a huge difference. When I run on the sidwalk my shins and knees hurt a lot more. But the trail is much better than either surface. I run on the asphalt or on the dirt shoulder since I usually can't get to the trail.
      You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here
        Usually streets. However, the neighborhood I usually run through has a few streets that are brick, and I move onto the sidewalk on those. The bricks just seem to be more of a pounding.

Run the race God set B4U

Unfortunately our small town does not have running friendly areas. It sucks, we have to mostly run on the road, but we are courteous when we see a car coming our way to get over as much as possible...those of you that mention running trails, running friendly sidewalks are very lucky Smile
          5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)
          sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

I notice a huge difference. When I run on the sidwalk my shins and knees hurt a lot more. But the trail is much better than either surface. I run on the asphalt or on the dirt shoulder since I usually can't get to the trail.
            Ditto. I also notice the sound of my shoes slapping the surface is much louder on concrete. I live in Southern California which has an abundance of bike lanes on most roads. It's too tempting to avoid that nice soft unused asphalt lane while running on the hard concrete sidewalk adjacent to it. However, there was an unfortunate story earlier this year about a local woman who was running in a bike lane one morning and was struck and killed by a sleepy driver. Shortly after that incident, I was running in a bike lane when a woman runner approaching from the other direction pulled me out of the road (literally) and pleaded with me not to run in the bike lane anymore. She explained that it was her friend that died. I promised I would stick to the sidewalk, but I've occassionally broken that promise. It's actually illegal in CA to run in the bike lane when there is an adjacent sidewalk. So as much as possible I just avoid the issure entirely and prefer to run on paved or dirt trails away from traffic. However, for my long run this weekend, I need to get in 12 miles before running a 2K with my family. So I had planned to run TO the race and meet my family there, which forces me to run several miles on public roads between the 3 separate trails that will get me there. Wish me luck.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

JakeKnight

Do you run on the sidewalk or in the road?
              Yes. Yes, I do.
              Yep.
              Great minds, etc.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

At home I run on the road because sidewalks don't exist. Here in the city I run on sidewalks unless I don't feel like running over annoying pedestrians and dogs who somehow manage to hog up the entire sidewalk. Roll eyes

Old, Slow, Happy

I run on asphalt over the sidewalk whenever I can. I read somewhere that concrete is 6 times harder on your feet, knees, etc. than asphalt. I don't know where I read it, but I believed it. Maybe I'm just gullible. Anything that can save wear and tear on my old joints is good to me. I do run on the sidewalk (mostly) when I'm in large cities.
                    Sidewalk.
                    Run like you stole something.

Why is it sideways?

Most all of my running is on polyurethane foam.
                      Mishka-old log

Most all of my running is on polyurethane foam.
                        Is that the ground surface, or did you have your feet swapped out for foam blocks?

Why is it sideways?

Is that the ground surface, or did you have your feet swapped out for foam blocks?
                          I was considering swapping my feet for foam blocks, but then I realized they have these "running shoes" that you can take on and off. They're kinda expensive, and the "laces" are a little complicated at first, but then again so was the whole foam-block foot-swap thing. P.S. Good luck this weekend.

#artbydmcbride

...... It's actually illegal in CA to run in the bike lane when there is an adjacent sidewalk.
                            It is?? Are you sure?

Runners run

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

If you're very sensitive to the hardness of the surface, your form is bad. You're creating too much impact. When you're running smoothly, the hardness of the surface doesn't matter much at all. I can run barefoot on concrete and not take any more impact in my shins/knees/hips/back/etc than I'd have on a rubber track.
                              Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Why is it sideways?

If you're very sensitive to the hardness of the surface, your form is bad. You're creating too much impact. When you're running smoothly, the hardness of the surface doesn't matter much at all. I can run barefoot on concrete and not take any more impact in my shins/knees/hips/back/etc than I'd have on a rubber track.
                                I dunno Ed, you should really try running on polyurethane foam. Everybody's doing it.