Mapping (Read 658 times)

mayheminbarrie

I just recently moved to a new city and discovered that my new subdivision isn't located on your mapping system. I double checked googlemaps and it's there. How often are the maps updated? Thanks
    va

I've had a similar issue in my neighbordhood, where some of the newer streets don't show up. These are streets that are several years old. Have you tried Microsoft Virtual Earth? In my limited experience with it, it seems to be more up to date, and the satellite image resolution is better in places as well.
      mayheminbarrie

Can it be used as a mapping system such as what runningahead provides? BTW thanks Stephen! Big grin
        va

Can it be used as a mapping system such as what runningahead provides? BTW thanks Stephen! Big grin
          Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was directing my comments towards Eric...suggesting that if Google Earth isn't up to date or doesn't have the best resolution, maybe RunningAHEAD could use Microsoft Virtual Earth instead for it mapping...
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Google buys its mapping data from a third party. There are several third party mapping databases out there. Google uses one for its own mapping, and another for its API (the set of tools that Eric and every other gmap programmer out there uses). Eric has no control over this, and microsoft maps, yahoo maps, etc all have APIs that are not nearly as good and the same variable quality to how updated their map data are. Whenever you find an inaccuracy in a Google map, whether it be on the Google site or via the API on another site, you should submit the problem to Google. They will, in turn, address it with their data provider. To switch to Microsoft Visual Earth would likely mean completely redoing all the back-end programming at RA, and you would probably lose functionality since their API is not as rich as gmap.