Anyone dislike Kayano 15s? (Read 1651 times)

this is exactly the thread i needed to read today.. i've put on  280+miles on my kayano 15's, though have been having nagging issues with my ankles and achilles (without putting on any additional weekly miles).  I thought it was just me and I keep thinking that I haven't put nearly enough miles on my shoes to get the nagging soreness I feel when my shoes need to be replaced....you all just cinched it for me- i gotta get myself some new shoes...

Consider Mizuno Nirvanas. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Purdey

Self anointed title

Hated the Kayanos.  Can't remember which number.  Love plenty of other Asics though, the 2130s are fine as an everyday shoe for me and I can easily put 650 on them I think.  Also love the DS Trainer for faster stuff.

Kayanos?  Over priced, heavy, clunky, dead.  Not good for me.

NaderAlfie - I did go back to 14s, but am now really struggling to get hold of any new pairs, so have had to move on.

I've just started wearing orthotics and am 100 miles into a pair of Asics 1140s.  Like a fool I bought them because the 5 second gait analysis at the shoe store indicated that they looked OK (even though they really only provide mild support) and they were all out of 2140s, which is what I really wanted, per a recommendation from my podiatrist.  My problematic right knee is feeling increasingly tender some days and I'm terrified of a recurrence of the long term knee problem I developed a few years ago (when running in neutral shoes).

Yesterday I called round some shoe stores to ask whether they had any 2140s in stock - it turns out that Asics have stopped producing them in advance of the 2150 (coming in November) and, in the words of one of the stores' employees "they're like gold dust now".  Seems a shame to make one of the world's most popular running shoes unavailable (or at least, hard to come by) for 2 months just because the new model is on it's way...

...anyway, I found a UK website with one pair of 2140s left in my size and spent an embarassing amount to have them rushed to me today.  Hopefully they'll work out.

Purdey

Self anointed title

You bought from a UK website?!  Wow, you must love those shoes!

(We pay vastly over the odds for shoes.....)

It probably makes more sense if I reveal that I live in the UK!

Hated the Kayanos.  Can't remember which number.  Love plenty of other Asics though, the 2130s are fine as an everyday shoe for me and I can easily put 650 on them I think.  Also love the DS Trainer for faster stuff.

Kayanos?  Over priced, heavy, clunky, dead.  Not good for me.

Yeah, if I ever go back to Asics, it will be to give the 21XX another shot and to see what the DS trainer's feel like for shorter, faster stuff.

Kayanos can kiss my bottom side.  I think. For now. Maybe...Why do they treat me this way!?  All I have ever done is loved them! 

NaderAlfie - I did go back to 14s, but am now really struggling to get hold of any new pairs, so have had to move on.

I've just started wearing orthotics and am 100 miles into a pair of Asics 1140s.  Like a fool I bought them because the 5 second gait analysis at the shoe store indicated that they looked OK (even though they really only provide mild support) and they were all out of 2140s, which is what I really wanted, per a recommendation from my podiatrist.  My problematic right knee is feeling increasingly tender some days and I'm terrified of a recurrence of the long term knee problem I developed a few years ago (when running in neutral shoes).

Yesterday I called round some shoe stores to ask whether they had any 2140s in stock - it turns out that Asics have stopped producing them in advance of the 2150 (coming in November) and, in the words of one of the stores' employees "they're like gold dust now".  Seems a shame to make one of the world's most popular running shoes unavailable (or at least, hard to come by) for 2 months just because the new model is on it's way...

...anyway, I found a UK website with one pair of 2140s left in my size and spent an embarassing amount to have them rushed to me today.  Hopefully they'll work out.

Any chance the orthotics are contributing to your knee issues?

14s were good, but unless Asics basically admits they were wrong to proclaim "Mission Accomplished" with the 15s, I'm probably not voting for them again. 

Purdey

Self anointed title

It probably makes more sense if I reveal that I live in the UK!

NickP - Good man!  Why aren't you frequenting the UK Runners' Forum more often?!!  I know you are a member - but we haven't seen you for ages.

Get ye there now!

For those looking for something else to try on vs. Kayanos, I came across this at the Brooks site.

Comparison Chart

“Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory." - Mahatma Gandhi

For those looking for something else to try on vs. Kayanos, I came across this at the Brooks site.

Comparison Chart

Nice, thank you.

Anyone switch from Kayanos to something else and end up happy?

I have.  I ran in a few pairs of Kayanos, and to save a few bucks went to the 2140 and DSTrainer.  I rotate the new ones, try to use the 2140 for the light trial runs, DS for races and track stuff.  I'm happy with both shoes.  I know I switched from Asics to Asics, which may not be helpful, but I always like the feel of them to other brands when trying them out in the store.

Also, I did just do my last 20 mile run in the DS and had no ill effects, and am planning on using them for my upcoming marathon. 

I did just do my last 20 mile run in the DS and had no ill effects, and am planning on using them for my upcoming marathon. 

Dude.

Maybe the Kayanos had too support much for you then.  I was thinking of racing in my Mizuno Inspires. But, since I've done zero long runs in them, I probably won't.

Maybe the Kayanos had too support much for you then. 

I think you're right.  I've been hearing a lot about more minimalist running lately, and am sometimes easily influenced, therefore I'm leaning that way on shoe purchases recently.

Misinformation Officer

I was really ticked to discover that the 15's just did not work for me.  A lot of $$$ to discover that bricks would have been about the same.
                            haroldsack

I am on my second pair and will most likely use them for Chicago.  I also have a pair of 2140's that I just used for my 20 today.  The 15's seem to have more cushion.   I my be biased because I switched to Asics about 10 years ago  after Nike made the Pegasus a brick.
                              ymmv

I'm about to open my 4th pair of kayano 15s this year. That first run in them is always wonderful. I guess they just work for me. I retire 15s after 400 miles.