Steel Cut Oats Overnight Soak Method (Read 3055 times)

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Since I needed to squeeze in my workout this morning, I decided to try the overnight soak method for cooking the family's breakfast. I followed the direction on the back of the box of McCann's Irish Oatmeal. I boiled the water, added the oats, put the lid on let'm soak in there little jacuzzi overnight. This morning when I lifted the lid, there were green foamy island floating on top of the oats. EWWWWW. The thing that came to mind was a Discovery Channel show about the pilgrims' witch hunting and how some scientist believe the so-called witches may have suffered from an illness attributed to moldy rye. I dumped them out and fed the family Kashi and Cheerios. I checked the expiration date, no problem. I purchased the box a little over a week ago. I used a metal All-clad pan. Could it have just been a reaction to the metal? They were not shamrock shaped and did not seem to be marshmallowy. What did I do wrong? What could have been wrong with them?
    Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
    mshue

Soak them in cold water and stick them in the fridge overnight. As in, don't boil the water. Just soak the uncooked oats in cold water overnight. Cuts about 10-15 minutes off the cooking time in the morning.
        I just replace a quarter of the water with an equal amount of bleach.
        For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That is just the protein and fiber. Mix it in and enjoy.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

That is just the protein and fiber. Mix it in and enjoy.
            Ah yes, a source of protein with a very small carbon footprint. I feel like a bit of a nob. I checked the website and it said soak in the fridge. I double checked the box and it did not say anything about putting them in the refrig. I thought they were like beans. My bad. A nice lady at Trader Joes said she makes 5 portions ahead of time and heats them up in the microwave. Don't know how appetizing a cold lump of leftover SCO will be.
            Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
            pitrunner

A nice lady at Trader Joes said she makes 5 portions ahead of time and heats them up in the microwave. Don't know how appetizing a cold lump of leftover SCO will be.
              I've been doing this for a few weeks now. I make a large batch in the crock pot and heat it up for breakfast at work all week. It does become this gelatinous lump, but once you heat it and mix it up it's still delicious. Obviously not as good as fresh, but still yummy.

Best Present Ever

I've been doing this for a few weeks now. I make a large batch in the crock pot and heat it up for breakfast at work all week. It does become this gelatinous lump, but once you heat it and mix it up it's still delicious. Obviously not as good as fresh, but still yummy.
                i do this all the time. Reheated at work, it's great. Of course, I don't even mind eating them cold and lumpy. I do the overnight soak thing too -- the water does look a bit scummy in the morning, but i bring to a boil again, cook for a bit, and the oats are fine.
                  So, what does it taste like? I used to really be into Weight Watchers, and everyone ate this. Is it worth the work? ( and the $ )

- Anya

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Here is what you do with your leftover SCO: Oatmeal Pancakes 1 1/2 cup flour 1 cup plain yogurt plus 1 cup milk |-OR-| 1 1/2 cups buttermilk 3 TBS sugar 1 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/2 tsp salt 3 TBS melted butter 2 eggs 1 TBS vanilla 1 cup cooked oatmeal (steel cut Irish is best) Mix everything together. Make pancakes. Enjoy.
                    pitrunner

So, what does it taste like? I used to really be into Weight Watchers, and everyone ate this. Is it worth the work? ( and the $ )
                      I guess it kinda tastes like nuttier, more filling oatmeal. It really sticks to your ribs, as they say. Regular oatmeal never would fill me up and I had to force myself to eat it. I actually look forward to my SCO every morning. It's definitely worth the work - only 2 minutes to dump the ingredients in the crockpot (I don't bother with the soak). And for sure worth the money. The kind I buy is $2.99 and lasts me an entire month. I jazz it up with walnuts and bananas too though. Here's a yummo recipe I found for the crockpot if you're interested in that: http://healthycooking.suite101.com/article.cfm/crockpot_oatmeal_recipe (I leave out the apples and raisins)
                        I guess it kinda tastes like nuttier, more filling oatmeal. It really sticks to your ribs, as they say. Regular oatmeal never would fill me up and I had to force myself to eat it. I actually look forward to my SCO every morning. It's definitely worth the work - only 2 minutes to dump the ingredients in the crockpot (I don't bother with the soak). And for sure worth the money. The kind I buy is $2.99 and lasts me an entire month. I jazz it up with walnuts and bananas too though. Here's a yummo recipe I found for the crockpot if you're interested in that: http://healthycooking.suite101.com/article.cfm/crockpot_oatmeal_recipe (I leave out the apples and raisins)
                        Thanks! I'm gonna try it. I've always wanted to, but didn't want to soak them. The crock pot version sounds simple. And, hey, if it's going to potentially make me full, ( nothing ever does ) it will be worth it for sure!

- Anya

pitrunner

Thanks! I'm gonna try it. I've always wanted to, but didn't want to soak them. The crock pot version sounds simple. And, hey, if it's going to potentially make me full, ( nothing ever does ) it will be worth it for sure!
                          Let me know how it goes. Don't be scared if after 8 hours in the crockpot all the brown sugar seems to have migrated to the side of the pot...smush it back in with everything else and let it simmer for a few more mintues and you should be good to go. If you only put it on for 6 hours this might not be a problem. I have some more 'sperimenting to do.
                          xor

I'll stick with the 5 minute kind. Dang. This might be the best food in the world, but I ain't spending 8 hours or overnight on oatmeal. Sex? Sure. Oatmeal? Hell no.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Weird. I only spend 30 seconds preparing my oatmeal. The crock pot does the rest.

jules2

Soak them in cold water and stick them in the fridge overnight. As in, don't boil the water. Just soak the uncooked oats in cold water overnight. Cuts about 10-15 minutes off the cooking time in the morning.
                                Ditto but I use milk.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.