Define: food (Read 975 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pollan's latest. I apologize if you find it controversial. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/magazine/12policy-t.html

Imminent Catastrophe

Pollan's latest. I apologize if you find it controversial. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/magazine/12policy-t.html
      Good article. And stop apologizing Wink

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Best Present Ever

I was wondering when this would be posted! I was going to, but thought I'd leave it to Trent. The only thing I don't much like is the suggestion that food aid dollars be used to coerce health food choices. I agree that discouraging non-food (previously known as junk food) calories requires a structural solution, but I think coercive tactics against the most vulnerable are the wrong way to go about it. I'd prefer to see a complete revamping of what foods are subsidized so that soy oil and HFCS aren't the cheapest calories and some policy incentives to be sure that fresh, whole foods are easily available in all neighborhoods to fight the grocery store red-lining and fast food proliferation that exists in urban areas. (and in rural areas, weirdly, though that's discussed less.) Sign me up to help dig up the South Lawn!
        TJoseph

At the risk of being controversal, I totally disagree with this artical. The government should ensure a safe food supply, but other than that they have no business regulating what we put on our dinner table. If I feel like eating a quarter pounder with cheese, I should have the right to go buy and eat one without the government's interference. I don't eat them that often, but that is my own personal choice. And he is using Al Gore's global warming scam as an argument as to why we should pay for these new handouts and regulations.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The government already regulates the food we put on the table through subsidies. If you want to deregulate the food industry, fine. But you need then to stop paying for the overproduction of commodity crops that reduce health. Enjoy that quarter pounder, for sure. Pollan does not suggest you do otherwise. But that cheap burger you get in the store is cheap because it is already being subsidized by tax dollars. Why do you support that handout? Ensure safe food? Sure, agreed. But highly processed foods kill more people than e coli does, by many orders of magnitude.

Best Present Ever

yes, what Trent said. Michael Pollan is talking about re-thinking the government's alread VERY heavy hand in the food we eat. It would be difficult to increase the role the US government plays in our food choices, as it's already huge, but nearly invisible at the individual level. The best thing I heard him say was on the Diane Rehm show yesterday -- he asked why the food manufactured by giant multinational corporations was considered to be the food of the average person, and food grown by struggling, local small farmers was considered to be elite? It's all backwards.
              TJoseph

I agree with ending all farm subsidies. It is nothing but corporate welfare. Let the free market decide how much the food costs. We should also eliminate government subsidies on bio-fuel to prevent an artificial shortage of corn. I am not sure I would use the term elite to describe food grown on small farms, but it is certainly more expensive than mass produced food. It is not backwards, it is economy of scale. It is cheaper to make and therefore cheaper to buy. Without mass production of goods, our quality of life would not be nearly as good.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

it is certainly more expensive than mass produced food because mass produced food like corn is currently subsidized by the government, while broccoli is not; remove the subsidies entirely and that quarter pounder will suddenly cost a whole lot more
                  I corrected that for you Wink
                    Go through that whole article one more time, it is only false economy with all the inherehent subsidies for mass production MTA - or what Trent said
                    TJoseph

Hey, I agree with ending all government subsidies! However, brocolli produced on a large corporate farm will still be cheaper than brocolli hand grown on a small farm due to the automation and economies of scale employed by the large corporate growers. If you want to pay more to buy the hand grown variety, go for it. It is when you want to use my tax dollars to subsidize either the corporate or the small farmer that I would object. In my opinion (you are entitled to a different one) there is a lot wrong with the proposals in this article: Pay welfare recipients to eat healthier food by gving them more food stamps for "organic" food? Subsidize wealthy grocery store chains with tax payer dollars to build more stores in urban neighborhoods? Buy senior citizens memberships in coop farms with tax payer dollars? Government subsidized farmer's markets? I was half expecting him to recommend nationalizing all the farms and letting the government run them.

Why is it sideways?

I am not sure I would use the term elite to describe food grown on small farms, but it is certainly more expensive than mass produced food. It is not backwards, it is economy of scale. It is cheaper to make and therefore cheaper to buy. Without mass production of goods, our quality of life would not be nearly as good.
                        More expensive for whom? And how are you adding up the social costs? Do health costs fit into your analysis? I don't think anyone knows the answer, but I do think it's important that we have more experimentation with different models of food production. I have a similar sort of question about you claim that mass produced food helps "our quality of life." Who is included in this "our"? Surely not animals. Not small farmers. Not the campesinos in Paraguay who were booted off their land by big agro. Not the city-dwellers who were inundated by the landless peasants. Not the millions of obese children sucking corn syrup. Not future generations who depend upon our ethical choices for sustainability. The quality of life question has to be decided differentially, according to the various affected groups. You're trying to fit this problem back in the same old box: government vs. free market. liberal vs. conservative. You want to transform this problem into an ideological debate where the answers are already known, and sides are already drawn. These categories are old and outdated. No one knows the answers in advance. We need intelligent experiments with a multitude of solutions to know how to grow food more intelligently: some governmental, some market based, some based on gumption and personal responsibility. The problem of food never goes away, but its conditions and possiblities are transformed. The tendency to fall back on vague concepts like "free market" or "government" to "solve" the problem is a way of avoiding the issue entirely--and worse, polarizing the possibility of intelligent exchange between interested parties. Pollan's analysis is just the sort we need because he identifies the new conditions of the problem of food and hypothetically suggests a few provisional and practical ways to perhaps begin working on these conditions. It's not about ideology. It's about practice.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

there is a lot wrong with the proposals in this article
                          Fair enough. On what is your opinion based? What do you propose we do?

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Pollan's analysis is just the sort we need because he identifies the new conditions of the problem of food and hypothetically suggests a few provisional and practical ways to perhaps begin working on these conditions. It's not about ideology. It's about practice.
                            I agree with Jeff. That said, I just found a bug in my organic greens (and yes, I washed them). I didn't eat him. I did eat his distant cousin Sunday night during my run. Seriously, I've become so discouraged by our food situation that I now refrain from shopping at the chain grocery store in my neighborhood. I just find it so depressing and difficult even staying on the outer aisles to get some healthy food. In the dairy section there is this bright-colored kid's "yogurt" full of sugar. In the fruit and veggies section there is fake fruit leather. My kids ask for, these things thinking "whoa, Mom might actually say yes to this because it's yogurt or fruit leather. Then we go through the whole, "but this isn't the real good stuff" routine and have to read the labels. I'd like to see some of Pollan's ideas embraced. In CA we are voting on prop 2http://www.yesonprop2.com/ . If you ask me, they've made a big mistake in not promoting it more as a long term health and safety issue for humans. Rather, they have posed it a animal rights issue.
                            Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                              I have a similar sort of question about you claim that mass produced food helps "our quality of life." Who is included in this "our"? Surely not animals. Not small farmers. Not the campesinos in Paraguay who were booted off their land by big agro. Not the city-dwellers who were inundated by the landless peasants. Not the millions of obese children sucking corn syrup. Not future generations who depend upon our ethical choices for sustainability. The quality of life question has to be decided differentially, according to the various affected groups.
                              +1... but then, I'm a commie from north of the border. Smile

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac