Mapmyrun.com Question (Read 1707 times)

Scout7

Are all the threads in here making no sense at all today or am I have acid flashbacks again? Is the Chicago marathon shorter or longer than one in New Orleans? Does New Orleans have a marathon? Do they serve gumbo and crawdads? I'm going to try one more thread, and it better make sense. Or I'm going back to sniffing glue.
    I'm waiting for the Rapture at this point. What sealed the deal is someone has a whole thread about how you were right. I'm still not sure what it was that you were right about. It certainly wasn't about how to succeed at a Thunder Challenge.
    JakeKnight

I'm waiting for the Rapture at this point. What sealed the deal is someone has a whole thread about how you were right. I'm still not sure what it was that you were right about. It certainly wasn't about how to succeed at a Thunder Challenge.
      Yeah, that one scared the bejeesus outta me, too. I'm gonna go take a nap. Something is wrong.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Scout7

Yeah, that one scared the bejeesus outta me, too. I'm gonna go take a nap. Something is wrong.
        Go read the thread about the GTSSM. It's wonderful.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ditto. Firefox, ad blocker, and out of curiosity I went over to Burger King (ahem) and my screen is blitzed with ads. Big flashy annoying ones. So I search for a Nashville map, pull it up ... and surprise, surprise, it was uploaded by one "Rosenbst" And I can't really see the map, cuz I have to look past at least 5 different ad banners. Yuck.
          I currently only have one map over at MMR. It takes a long time to load. JK, you are not known for your patience. I am surprised that you waited.
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

There is also the issue of Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity. All observers record the same speed of light regardless of reference frame, but in order to do so, mass, distance and time can vary relative to the observer's velocity. So if life in New Orleans seem slow and lazy, time dilation must be occurring relative to Chicago (clocks run slower in New Orleans). In order for this to be the case, New Orleans must be moving at a faster velocity though space than Chicago. This is true because it is closer to the equator. Due to a special relativistic effect known as a Lorentz Contraction, length contracts as objects approach the speed of light relative to length at rest. This is given by: So assuming that the poles of the earth are at rest, Chicago at latitude 42°N moves at a linear velocity of 770miles per hour relative to the pole. New Orleans at 30° North moves at 890 miles per hour. Applying the Lorentz transformation, we see the following: North Pole: 1m Chicago: 0.999991m New Orleans: 0.999989m So a meter in New Orleans is shorter than a meter in Chicago. Hopefully, these mapping tools take this into account.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JakeKnight

It all makes sense now.

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I'm nominating Globule to be the next physics Nobel Prize winner, or at least Man of the Year in some third world country.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No, JK, it does not. And MC, your nomination is misplaced. Globule's elegant discussion takes into account rotational velocity relative to the axis. The OP's question, by contrast, asked about distance from the center of the sphere (or, to use a different referent, the sea level). If involving Einstein's theories when considering this question, it would be better to apply the effect of gravity than the effect of rotational velocity. Globbie, try again.
                  JakeKnight

It all makes sense now.

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I thought he was explaining how if I go to the equator, I would be thinner, smarter and incredibly attractive to the ladies. Isn't that the whole point of this thread, or did I miss it by a 0.0000001 mile? Wink mta: fat fingers!
                      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

No, JK, it does not. And MC, your nomination is misplaced. Globule's elegant discussion takes into account rotational velocity relative to the axis. The OP's question, by contrast, asked about distance from the center of the sphere (or, to use a different referent, the sea level). If involving Einstein's theories when considering this question, it would be better to apply the effect of gravity than the effect of rotational velocity.
                        This wasn't a response to the OP. I was raising an additional concern. This is the kind of stuff that keeps me awake at night. Undoubtedly, there is some issue with the differences in the curvature of space-time as we get farther from the Earth's center of mass, which would likely affect linear distances. I'll look into it.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This wasn't a response to the OP. I was raising an additional concern. This is the kind of stuff that keeps me awake at night.
                          Listen, you lazy bastard, get back to your legal pad and solve this one for us.
                          jpnairn

straw man

Re: Missing features How do I import from elsewhere? My Garmin? Previously saved files of various formats? I think that functionality is still missing, unless I missed it.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

Just Be

This makes zero sense. Are you suggesting that because Chicago is higher above sea level (and thus, closer to the satellite taking the picture Confused ) than New Orleans, the scales on the maps are wrong (parallax effect). If if were true, (and I don't' think it is because the street maps are based in statute, surveyed distances), the difference would surely be negligible.
                              You bring up a good point that I never even considered! This whole time I was neglecting the fact that mapmyrun uses maps which have been drawn to scale based on statute miles, so elevation above sea level shouldn't matter at all when plotting points on that site. Tongue I was thinking about the plotting in terms of GPS, in which altitude correction is a function of the mapping software and not the receiver itself. My bad. Big grin Thanks for bringing me to my senses! Smile And nice post about the theory of relativity and the Lorentz transformation. Cool
                                The very fabric of the universe is based on assumptions or estimates or maybe it was some meter bar housed in Europe. I know this because goblue and Ennay told me so. I may have it wrong but then again I was assuming things.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs