2015 NYC Marathon Thread (Read 376 times)

EastRiverRunner

Registration opened January 15 at noon.

Who's in?

I'm in.

Julia1971

I'm a non-guaranteed time qualifier and registered at noon yesterday.  I hope I'm in.  I should be in.

I'm trying an experiment.  I put in a half marathon time rather than a full.  The HM time is well under the qualifying time, my marathon time is just barely.  I'll be curious to see if my bib number is any lower (i.e., they actually seed me with my estimated finish time) this year.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yes, I'm also a non-guaranteed time qualifier with HM qualifying time. I don't really understand what they mean by "first-come, first-served." Does that mean one needs to register within the first hour of its opening, as I did?  Does it mean that qualifying entrants are taken in the order they register, regardless of how and by how much they qualified? Are demographics (location, age) considererd?  Also, does it mean that we will not be informed of acceptance until some time after the close of registration, February 15, or we could be informed earlier?

Julia1971

I just got an "event accepted" email so they're letting time qualifiers know now.

Anonymous Guest

Another non-guaranteed time qualifier here. Will be interesting to see how long it takes until I hear something. The half I used is a smaller race they've probably never heard of, but it was certified. I thought it was strange there wasn't a place to link to the qualifying race in the application.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I'm also a non-guaranteed time qualifier using a HM time. I submitted as soon as registration was open on the 15th. My time was about 6 minutes faster than the cut-off and I'm still waiting to hear. I'm also wondering if it's taking time because the race I listed was relatively small, although USATF certified. I would have been happy to provide the link to the race results if that would have made verification easier; don't know why they didn't ask for that.

rmcj001

If my reading comprehension is any good, there are X number of slots opened to qualifying times.  First priority on these is those coming in a NYRR race.  These spots are open until 2/15/15 and available on a first com first serve basis (just meet the time).  If there are slots left on on 2/16/15 those spots are allocated on a first come first served for those meeting the time in a non-NYRR race.  If any spots are still left after that, they go back to the general pool.  If your qualifying time didn't come in NYRR race, I don't think you can know whether you got in or not until after Feb 15th.  At least, that's my understanding of the description...

Ray

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

If my reading comprehension is any good, there are X number of slots opened to qualifying times.  First priority on these is those coming in a NYRR race.  These spots are open until 2/15/15 and available on a first com first serve basis (just meet the time).  If there are slots left on on 2/16/15 those spots are allocated on a first come first served for those meeting the time in a non-NYRR race.  If any spots are still left after that, they go back to the general pool.  If your qualifying time didn't come in NYRR race, I don't think you can know whether you got in or not until after Feb 15th.  At least, that's my understanding of the description...

I interpreted the information differently. The site states: A limited number of time-qualifier spots will be available to runners who meet the time standards in a non-NYRR race. These spots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis until the cap has been reached. I thought this means that there are slots set aside for qualifiers from non-NYRR races, not that those slots would only be filled after all the qualifiers from NYRR races were admitted. I guess we'll see. I hope "first-come, first-served" means first applied, first served. I'd be sorry if I didn't get in because it took them a long time to verify my time even though I applied early.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Okay, thanks for your interpretations. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks it's not clear. Julia, was your qualifier a NYRR race?

Julia1971

Okay, thanks for your interpretations. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks it's not clear. Julia, was your qualifier a NYRR race?

Non-NYRR race.  Weird that mine went through while some of you are still waiting.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yay, I got accepted!  My time was from a rinky-dink Midwestern non-NYRR race, and FWIW, I qualified by all of 1.5 seconds. 

Anonymous Guest

Yay, I got accepted!  My time was from a rinky-dink Midwestern non-NYRR race, and FWIW, I qualified by all of 1.5 seconds. 

That's encouraging! I also used a time from a risky-dink Midwestern non-NYRR race. i qualified by less than a minute. I guess I will continue to wait patiently.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

That's encouraging! I also used a time from a risky-dink Midwestern non-NYRR race. i qualified by less than a minute. I guess I will continue to wait patiently.

Well then, you have every reason to expect your acceptance email, I would say. Keep us posted.

EastRiverRunner

I wish NYRR would have waited another month to begin registration. Then many of us could have received our tax returns and use some of that money for the registration. I'm going to bring that up at the next  NYRR club council meeting.

Julia1971

FWIW, I'm guessing it's ease of finding the result.  After entering my race name in Google, it took me 3 click and no scrolling to find my result.  (Pretty much the only thing on the home page of this race is a link to last year's results and I'm on the leaderboard for female finishers).  It shouldn't have taken them more than 10 seconds 20 seconds.  Edited because I can touch type.  "Hunt and peckers" might have taken longer entering the race name into The Google.