2015 NYC Marathon Thread (Read 376 times)

Anonymous Guest

Several that I wanted to book showed available on their calendar, but the host came back and said they weren't taking bookings that far in advance. Good to know that maybe those were the exception - sounds like I should try a few more places now.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Mpls Laker

Northstar Running

The website for NYC Marathon is all marketing. I am really irritated that I can't easily find a finish area map there.

j.haberkorn

Oak_Lawn_Illinois

I live in Oak Lawn, IL, if anybody is located near me, would be interested in training together.

Julia1971

The website for NYC Marathon is all marketing. I am really irritated that I can't easily find a finish area map there.

I don't think they typically post that until very late.  Like race week.

Not sure what you're specifically looking for, but see the Internet Archive for

Last year's page: https://web.archive.org/web/20141008111451/http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/race-day/the-finishpost-finish

Finish area map: https://web.archive.org/web/20141008111451/http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/sites/default/files/Finish%20Map.pdf

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

Small town MN guy here ... we visited NYC a couple years ago.

Received my e-mail this morning relative to the baggage and transportation selections.  Being a first time NYC runner, would like to solicit some guidance.

Transportation ...  pro's / con's / guidance?  Definitely appreciate your feedback.

Tim

Tim 

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Small town MN guy here ... we visited NYC a couple years ago.

Received my e-mail this morning relative to the baggage and transportation selections.  Being a first time NYC runner, would like to solicit some guidance.

Transportation ...  pro's / con's / guidance?  Definitely appreciate your feedback.

Tim

First step, decide where you will be staying. This will affect the transportation option you choose and could also impact your choice of baggage check or finish poncho.

I come from New Jersey and have always used a bus service provided by a local running club so I can't speak to the relative merits of the bus from midtown versus the Staten Island Ferry. It probably depends on which is more convenient to get to from where you are staying.

As for baggage or poncho, I've done both. The poncho is nice, but if you take that option, you exit on 77th and Central Park West whereas choosing the baggage option, you exit on 85th street. My bus was parked north of 88th street, so the baggage options was more convenient for me and I would think would be preferable if you are staying on the upper West side. The website implies that you get your poncho sooner than when you get your baggage, but in my experience, it was a fairly long walk before those ponchos appeared -- you had to completely exit the park. Also, holding the poncho closed in the wind and also holding my bag of food was somewhat challenging for me in my reduced capacity after the race.

ultramarathon/triathlete

In my opinion...

Opt for no baggage.

You save time ON Staten Island not having to rush over to the far edges of the athlete village to drop your bags off moments before the UPS trucks close their doors.

You save time at the END of the race not having to walk through the SUPER long and SLOW moving shuffle to get to baggage. You still have a SLOW shuffle to get to the exit onto Central Park West, but it takes you maybe 10 minutes vs at least 30-40 minutes (probably longer, I haven't done the baggage option for the last several NYCMs I've done).

You get a poncho which is actually really nice. WAY nicer than it needs to be. I've used mine a lot sitting around all sweaty on my patio in the winter after long runs, drinking coffee and relaxing). It's toasty.

If anyone has other NYCM questions, I think I had a long list of comments on a tread or two in the past, or PM me if you like. This will be my 10th. I'll be an official pacer again, this year for the 3:45 group.

I can't speak for transportation since I've always gone there from Brooklyn --unless you live in Brooklyn, then I can recommend a few options.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

Julia1971

First step, decide where you will be staying. This will affect the transportation option you choose and could also impact your choice of baggage check or finish poncho.

I come from New Jersey and have always used a bus service provided by a local running club so I can't speak to the relative merits of the bus from midtown versus the Staten Island Ferry. It probably depends on which is more convenient to get to from where you are staying.

As for baggage or poncho, I've done both. The poncho is nice, but if you take that option, you exit on 77th and Central Park West whereas choosing the baggage option, you exit on 85th street. My but was parked north of 88th street, so the baggage options was more convenient for me and I would think would be preferable if you are staying on the upper West side. The website implies that you get your poncho sooner than when you get your baggage, but in my experience, it was a fairly long walk before those ponchos appeared -- you had to completely exit the park. Also, holding the poncho closed in the wind and also holding my bag of food was somewhat challenging for me in my reduced capacity after the race.

This.

I did baggage in 2013 and no baggage in 2014.  I'm considering going back to baggage for all these reasons but mostly for the bolded one.  (My only hesitation is that I do like the poncho. Smile  I haven't worn it again but it is nice.)  It didn't feel any quicker but I know time plays tricks on the mind and how we remember things.  There were runners ready to riot last year because it was so cold/windy and it took forever to get the poncho.  You don't get it until you exit the Park.  And, I could be wrong but I think there's a subway stop directly across from the baggage exit whereas you have to walk a little more to get to a subway station after you get your poncho.  I just remember being much more miserable after the finish last year than the year before.  But, last year was colder.  Oh, and I had run back-to-back marathons so I was probably going to be tired and cranky anyway.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Any issues with using MTA after - or before, for that matter?  I see there are stops all along Central Park West.

Nasreddin Hoja

I should say, I loved walking home in that Poncho last year.  It felt really good after the day I'd had. Wind was nuts.  I took the 8:30 boat.  The buses were jammed. Probably 40 minutes right there.  Baggage was closed by the time I got to my start village and the corral closed almost right behind me.

EastRiverRunner

Any issues with using MTA after - or before, for that matter?  I see there are stops all along Central Park West.

No issues. Usually the attendant will let the marathon runners enter for free. But last year I had to pay a fare and I was pissed. Luckily I had some money with me.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I think the ponchos are handed out just before the family meeting area. There IS a subway right there, I got my poncho, met my running buddy's pregnant wife in the family area, and hopped right on the subway.

The did let us through the turnstile for free (and in some of the other years I've run it too). BUT last year the MTA guy actually said "I don't know what da fuck you talkin' about" because those MTA guys are often pretty classy, well informed, friendly and love their jobs. ;-)

As for the subway before the race... use it to get to the ferry (if you're taking the ferry). Pretty much the only people on it at that time in the morning are heading to the marathon start, so it's kinda cool.

I usually ride my bike a few miles across Brooklyn to a friend's place near the Verrazano to get a ride over it with her parents. It's the only time of the year I can ride my bike down the center of the streets without fear of being dinged by a cab door or clipped by a jaywalker. No one is out that early on a sunday morning in November! It's surreal.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

Julia1971

I think the ponchos are handed out just before the family meeting area. There IS a subway right there, I got my poncho, met my running buddy's pregnant wife in the family area, and hopped right on the subway.
                             The did let us through the turnstile for free (and in some of the other years I've run it too). BUT last year the MTA guy actually said "I don't know what da fuck you talkin' about" because those MTA guys are often pretty classy, well informed, friendly and love their jobs. ;-)
                             As for the subway before the race... use it to get to the ferry (if you're taking the ferry). Pretty much the only people on it at that time in the morning are heading to the marathon start, so it's kinda cool.
                             I usually ride my bike a few miles across Brooklyn to a friend's place near the Verrazano to get a ride over it with her parents. It's the only time of the year I can ride my bike down the center of the streets without fear of being dinged by a cab door or clipped by a jaywalker. No one is out that early on a sunday morning in November! It's surreal.

I might be mistaken but if this is the map, I think we get our ponchos at around 76th or 75th St.  I think the barricades end at 74th St.  The family reunion area is still a bit further down the road.  According to the MTA Subway Map, there's a 72nd St. Station so that must be the one I took.

I also noticed that the station manager was not letting runners ride for free after the race.  Luckily, I had my farecard on me.

EastRiverRunner

I always do baggage. I need pants.

EastRiverRunner

If you do baggage, you will be walking a mile until you get to the baggage trucks. It's a long walk. Around twenty blocks. The exit is at 86th Street. There is a subway there.