2015 NYC Marathon Thread (Read 376 times)

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I don't think it's a "mistake" in that I suspect that NYRR uses (or takes into consideration) time qualifiers time qualifying time rather than their expected finish time.  That's why I said on Page 1 of this thread that I registered using my "faster" half marathon time rather than my "slower" marathon time.  And, I doubt they'll move you up.  I tried to get them to change mine one year and they just said I was seeded correctly.  (Shrug.)  I think you'll be fine.  I would just try to get to the front of your corral at the start and (politely) move yourself up a corral or two when they walk you to the bridge.

Yeah, but the difference between the two times (correct and incorrect) is 9 hours! I did get in touch with someone who said they could make a change at the expo. I know I'm not an elite runner, but I really would prefer not to start with the people who are planning to finish in 6 hours or more. The first couple of miles are very crowded and I know that I need to take those slow, but I don't want to have to waste energy and time weaving around slower runners just to get to a comfortable pace. I can certainly deal with the situation if I'm not moved, but like most of us, I've put a lot of training into this and I'd like to be able to run my best race possible. There are so many factors that you can't control (like weather), so it would be nice to be able to start out at my planned pace.

Speaking of weather, based on current predictions, we may be running in the rain. Forecasts this far out are not terribly reliable, but I'm still thinking about how to prepare for that. Any suggestions?

Julia1971

Yeah, but the difference between the two times (correct and incorrect) is 9 hours! I did get in touch with someone who said they could make a change at the expo. I know I'm not an elite runner, but I really would prefer not to start with the people who are planning to finish in 6 hours or more. The first couple of miles are very crowded and I know that I need to take those slow, but I don't want to have to waste energy and time weaving around slower runners just to get to a comfortable pace. I can certainly deal with the situation if I'm not moved, but like most of us, I've put a lot of training into this and I'd like to be able to run my best race possible. There are so many factors that you can't control (like weather), so it would be nice to be able to start out at my planned pace.

Speaking of weather, based on current predictions, we may be running in the rain. Forecasts this far out are not terribly reliable, but I'm still thinking about how to prepare for that. Any suggestions?

Sorry.  I didn't realize it was that big of a difference.  (I'm hoping you meant 2 instead of 9 hours difference.)  I'm glad they're willing to fix it for you!  I've heard that they are sticklers about not changing people's wave/corral.  If they don't, good luck with the crowds.  I find staying as far left or as far right makes passing easier.  You give up the tangant, though.

I haven't checked the forecast but I've been operating on the assumption that it will probably rain.  Because: me.  That would be three cold/rainy marathons in a row!  Sweet!  My hard core cred is going through the roof...  Suggestions: 1) wear a hat/visor to keep the rain out of your eyes, and 2) don't try avoiding the puddles.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Sorry.  I didn't realize it was that big of a difference.  (I'm hoping you meant 2 instead of 9 hours difference.)  I'm glad they're willing to fix it for you!  I've heard that they are sticklers about not changing people's wave/corral.  If they don't, good luck with the crowds.  I find staying as far left or as far right makes passing easier.  You give up the tangant, though.

I haven't checked the forecast but I've been operating on the assumption that it will probably rain.  Because: me.  That would be three cold/rainy marathons in a row!  Sweet!  My hard core cred is going through the roof...  Suggestions: 1) wear a hat/visor to keep the rain out of your eyes, and 2) don't try avoiding the puddles.

Not so sure. National Weather Service forecasts as far as Friday, and that's sunny with a high of 58F. Still pretty meaningless, ten days out. It is time for us to start stressing out about the weather and everything else, though.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Okay, 4 days out so I can really obsess over weather and anything else! Forecast is now looking free of rain and relatively warm (54-65), compared to past years. I'm not so happy about the temperature since I run faster in cooler temps, but if we have some cloud cover it might not be too bad.

Here's my inspirational video, the men's 2014 finish. I want to be running like Kipsang at the end -- not that fast, (impossible) but that smooth (my goal).

Kipsang wins the 2014 NYC Marathon

Look at the difference between Kipsang and Desisa, who is also an amazing runner. Kipsang just looks at Desisa coming up on his right and then sails ahead.

Julia1971

Okay, 4 days out so I can really obsess over weather and anything else! Forecast is now looking free of rain and relatively warm (54-65), compared to past years. I'm not so happy about the temperature since I run faster in cooler temps, but if we have some cloud cover it might not be too bad.

Here's my inspirational video, the men's 2014 finish. I want to be running like Kipsang at the end -- not that fast, (impossible) but that smooth (my goal).

Kipsang wins the 2014 NYC Marathon

Look at the difference between Kipsang and Desisa, who is also an amazing runner. Kipsang just looks at Desisa coming up on his right and then sails ahead.

I'm not going to check weather until Friday.  But, yeah, it's looking like a beautiful day to watch a marathon.

I was thinking of making this a poll on the main forum but I'll just ask here...  What do you guys think about the medal reveal?  Do you want to see it before the race or would you rather see it first when you finish?  I'd rather be surprised so I unfollowed/unliked all my NYCM related social media accounts.  (I still managed to see a picture of the shirt that someone retweeted.  )

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I think the weather will be perfect this year. I am psyched. Although...here's what I stress about: taper. At this stage, I can't seem to get up to marathon pace, even for short runs. My legs feel strong enough, but heavy and sluggish. Does anyone else have this problem? Hoping race day magic overcomes this.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I was thinking of making this a poll on the main forum but I'll just ask here...  What do you guys think about the medal reveal?  Do you want to see it before the race or would you rather see it first when you finish?  I'd rather be surprised so I unfollowed/unliked all my NYCM related social media accounts.  (I still managed to see a picture of the shirt that someone retweeted.  )

Interesting question, worthy of a poll. Same question applies to the race shirt -- do you want it to be a surprise at bib pickup?

As for social media, don't worry about the official NYCM Facebook page. They put up a post that allows you to see the medal, but only if you click on "more." I chose not to, so I haven't seen it yet. But I guess if someone else looked and then reposted, there goes the surprise....Haven't seen the shirt yet and want to be surprised, so no spoilers for me!

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

What is the best way to get from the finish (poncho finish @ 77th / Central Park West) to Penn Station?

Looks too far to walk after the marathon.

My hotel is in New Jersey near the stadium.

It's really easy to take the subway from Central Park West and 72nd St., although expect the trains to be crowded and going up and down the subway stairs may not be pretty after a marathon. After you get your poncho, continue walking down Central Park West to 72nd St. and take the C train to Penn Station.

I've heard that you can ride the subway for free if you show your finisher medal, but I haven't seen any verification on the NYRR website. If you have a credit or debit card, you can pay the $2.75 for a one-way trip.

Here's a link to subway information: NYC subway map.

Julia1971

Interesting question, worthy of a poll. Same question applies to the race shirt -- do you want it to be a surprise at bib pickup?

As for social media, don't worry about the official NYCM Facebook page. They put up a post that allows you to see the medal, but only if you click on "more." I chose not to, so I haven't seen it yet. But I guess if someone else looked and then reposted, there goes the surprise....Haven't seen the shirt yet and want to be surprised, so no spoilers for me!

I posted a poll.

I've been scrolling through Facebook and Twitter very slowly to avoid any spoilers.  Smile

EastRiverRunner

2015 New York City Marathon: Light Winds, Brisk Conditions to Benefit Runners

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/2015-new-york-city-marathon-weather-forecast-cool-comfortable/53231054

<h6>By Kevin Byrne, AccuWeather.com Staff Writer</h6>
                      October 28, 2015; 5:34 PM ET

Over a 26.2-mile course on Sunday, Nov. 1, more than 50,000 runners will navigate through the five boroughs of New York City as part of the 45th annual New York City Marathon.

Sunday will be mostly cloudy, with temperatures around 50 degrees Fahrenheit for the early morning hours, AccuWeather Meteorologist Alyson Hoegg said. Temperatures are expected to settle between 60-63 F by the mid-afternoon hours, she added.

Winds out of the southwest will be fairly light, less than 10 mph, through the entire race, she said.

There could be a couple of showers around in the Hudson Valley Sunday morning, but at this time, it appears that rain will not impact the city during the race, according to Hoegg. If any spotty showers did arrive in the city, they wouldn't do so until the afternoon.

"If [showers] were to impact the race, [they] would be fairly light, and I don't think it would have a major impact on the runners," she said.

Runners stream into Brooklyn in the 2014 TCS New York City Marathon. (Photo/New York Road Runners)

With so many entrants in the marathon, organizers have set up five different start times for runners to take to the course. The first wave to take the starting line will be the professional women racers at 9:20 a.m. EDT. The last wave is set to start at 11 a.m. EDT.

The average finish time for the 2014 marathon was 4 hours, 34 minutes, 45 seconds according to the marathon's website. Race day in 2014 brought highs near 48 F along with windy conditions and cloudy skies.

The forecast for this year's event looks promising for runners, according to Bart Yasso, chief running officer for Runner's World.

The light wind is key, because the start of the marathon is at the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge in Staten Island and it can be "really breezy up there," said Yasso, who has run the marathon three times.

"A very little wind will make a big difference, a big advantage to the runners," said Yasso.

If faced with a headwind, runners try to duck behind one another to have the person ahead of them block the wind and they become less worried about their pace, Yasso explained. A lot of times on windy days, the winning times tend to be slower because no one wants to commit and run fast by racing to a lead. Even for those in the middle or back of the pack, they just want to be with a group and stay out of the wind, he said.

Temperatures in the 50s are favorable, Yasso said. Highs in the upper 60s or low 70s would be too warm, and temperatures in the high 30s or low 40s would be too cold for a lot of runners, he continued.

RELATED:
                      A Bit of Walking Takes Strain Out of Running a Marathon
                      Check AccuWeather MinuteCast® for New York City
                      Detailed New York City Forecast

Dr. Melissa Leber, assistant professor of sports medicine at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Health System, previously told Accuweather that the ideal athlete will have already warmed up with indoor activities, before they begin their run.

"Cooler weather means that runners will likely not need as much hydration as compared to warmer weather when they're sweating," Leber said.

Runners cross from Brooklyn to Queens, halfway through the 2014 TCS New York City Marathon. (Photo/New York Road Runners)

Doing cardio work and finding the proper balance of clothing to retain body heat is how runners typically can stay warm prior their run, she said. Wearing several layers that can be easily discarded as the race begins is common practice among marathon entrants.

Runner's World has compiled a list of the ideal throwaway gear for runners to wear to keep warm before a race including pajamas, bathrobes and blankets. Last year, over 207,000 pounds of clothing was collected and donated to Goodwill Industries of New York and New Jersey, the marathon's website states.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Went to the expo today so I'm super psyched! I was able to get an adjustment on my number and starting wave so now I'm in Wave 2 instead of Wave 4 which makes me much happier.

Julia, there was no security check/bag check at the expo this year. I don't know if you'd want to bring a suitcase in since it will be pretty crowded tomorrow and there's a lot to carry with your bib number, bag, shirt and anything you just have to buy at the merchandise store, but I thought I'd pass along that information. (Also, it's possible that people with suitcases were stopped.)

Hoping to get a good night's sleep tonight since I'll be too excited to sleep well Saturday night and I have to be up by 4:00 on Sunday to catch my bus to the start.

Julia1971

Went to the expo today so I'm super psyched! I was able to get an adjustment on my number and starting wave so now I'm in Wave 2 instead of Wave 4 which makes me much happier.

Julia, there was no security check/bag check at the expo this year. I don't know if you'd want to bring a suitcase in since it will be pretty crowded tomorrow and there's a lot to carry with your bib number, bag, shirt and anything you just have to buy at the merchandise store, but I thought I'd pass along that information. (Also, it's possible that people with suitcases were stopped.)

Hoping to get a good night's sleep tonight since I'll be too excited to sleep well Saturday night and I have to be up by 4:00 on Sunday to catch my bus to the start.

Thanks for the heads up!  If Amtrak is on time (oh boy, typing that just made me a little nervous), I should have 5 hours to drop my bag at my hotel in Times Square, head to the expo, and then go back to my hotel to actually check in.

I'm so glad they changed your Wave.  Smile

Hope you get a good night's sleep.  Sunday is going to be a long day.

Julia1971

Thanks for the heads up!  If Amtrak is on time (oh boy, typing that just made me a little nervous), I should have 5 hours to drop my bag at my hotel in Times Square, head to the expo, and then go back to my hotel to actually check in.

Jinxed myself.  Train broke down outside of Philly.  (Sigh.)

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Jinxed myself.  Train broke down outside of Philly.  (Sigh.)

Oh no! Don't overstress; it will all work out eventually.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Are there things you wished you had done during your first NY marathon that you would recommend?

Just remembered something. If you're listening to music (I always do), turn it off when you get towards the end of the Queensboro Bridge. All you will hear is footsteps and then when you turn onto 1st Avenue, the cheering is deafening -- you don't want to miss that!