It happened today (Read 982 times)

run4fun8910

So there I was just 5 or 10 minutes in to my run. I heard it for the first time. The sounds of foot falls getting closer. Usually when I run I am alone on the streets. Today I ran on a parkway. I looked behind me and a young very fit college girl was coming up fast. As she passed we exchanged hellos. But then it happened. Something inside me said you can keep up. (yeah right) But I think with out thinking about it I picked up my pace. No where near hers but still faster than normal. I wanted to catch her. But knowing I could not I happily/unhappily stayed behind. But I enjoyed the run anyway. I think I caught a taste of what an actual race may be like. Bring it on. Now I just got to get in better shape. Cool
    Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn

A Saucy Wench

Ahhhh...that is what I called unplanned fartlek (speedplay). If a runner faster than me passes me running I almost always speed up (sometimes intentionally, sometimes unintentionally). If they are a LOT faster I speed up for 20 or 30 steps, if they are a little faster, sometimes I'll run with them for awhile if initial chatting seems friendly or its a runner I know. Makes for a good run if you keep it in control. The only time I remember NOT speeding up even one step was during Hood to Coast...the elite teams start LATER so that they dont finish in the middle of the night. Around 3 am I hear pit-pit-pit-pit-pit....and an elite runner swishes softly by me at some sub 5mm pace and is off in to the night. smooooth and silent.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I got passed by a dude pushing his kid in a stroller once...... had to watch him run away from me for 2 miles. Black eye Cry Not fun! Jason

Beatin' on the Rock

I got passed by a dude pushing his kid in a stroller once...... had to watch him run away from me for 2 miles. Black eye Cry Not fun! Jason
          Smile My last 5K, I had my eye on a lady and her much-older-than-me mother, quite a bit ahead of me in the starting queue. I wanted to start slow, and then pass them up - at least the grandmotherly type. She blew me AWAY! No
          Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
          run4fun8910

Ah thanks for making me feel better. It is good to know that we all get passed no matter what our level is. She passed me pretty quick. But it seemed for ever before she was out of sight. I ran a 9:25 min/m. And I felt good about that because....well I just did. But she made me look like I was standing still. Black eye Some day maybe I will get to pass some one. Big grin
            Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn

Man in Tights

Yeah that's a good reason to get into shape Big grin
                At a local Turkey Trot two years ago, a guy dressed up in a chicken suit blew past me. That was very depressing :-(

Runner

I have seen this before on some of my long runs from two different individuals. One of them was a guy that was really flying... he was hardcore and I didn't feel bad about being passed by him. The other was a lady on a short run that was busting it out b/c I passed her on a short uphill later and she turned around. Remember that people pushin' those strollers are pretty motivated a lot of times

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

I have seen this before on some of my long runs from two different individuals. One of them was a guy that was really flying... he was hardcore and I didn't feel bad about being passed by him. The other was a lady on a short run that was busting it out b/c I passed her on a short uphill later and she turned around. Remember that people pushin' those strollers are pretty motivated a lot of times
                    A friend and I got passed by a guy with a jogging stroller in our first 5 miler. We looked at each other and got a little depressed because there was no way we could catch this guy - he was flying. After we got back focused on running again - we got smoked by a lady with a jogging stroller - with 2 kids in it - uphill. It was that day that I decided I was going to train a lot more seriously. I haven't been passed by a baby stroller since.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Queen of 3rd Place

I was trying to catch up with an 80-sumpin' on a 10K race a year or two ago, thought I'd reel him in, but I couldn't get even an inch closer. The whole time he just cruised along, looking totally relaxed, while I was working hard. Turns out he's a local hero and ultra runner - I see him often now and I still tease him about wanting to catch him someday. Arla

Ex runner

Doug Little

I was passed by a lady pushing her two kids in a stroller. My original 'motivation' was to trip her (kidding of course). I did have an opportunity to compliment her. She really appreciated it. I still can't keep up with her............
                          Some of these stories are really funny! Here's a couple of my experiences- I ran a small 10k last July 1st., Canada Day, saw a guy with long white hair and flowing beard, like a slim Santa Claus, probably in his middle 60's. The course was out and back for 5k and two loops for 10k. I saw him coming back as I was heading out, he was far ahead of me, his time was 8 minutes faster than mine. Another time I was doing a training run with a fast finish and was flying along, 400 metres to go, when I thought I heard footsteps. I realised it must be an echo off a wood fence I was passing, so did not look back. Next moment a woman flies past me, gives me a friendly smile, and leaves me in the dust.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

For the folks that feel bad for being passed by a rolling bambino, a friend of mine has won her age group pushing her 20 month old in a stroler.

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

I live in a college town and my run goes RIGHT BY the college track & field area... and it's right after one of my major hills so I'm usually going at a slow pace to catch my breath and I'm always worried they will laugh and make fun of me! LOL I always get passed when I'm out and a college kid comes up to me!
                              -Jen
                              2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!

Maniac

Two stories... 1st half marathon: Feeling pretty good about myself around mile 4. Cruising along enjoying the moment when I get passed by a race-walker. Now, she was moving along pretty good, but she was WALKING. I nearly quit right there. 2nd half marathon: This one I finished in 1:59:48, so I wasn't exactly slow (not fast, but not slow)...Anyway, I spot this guy up in front of me running in a skirt (kilt, I imagine) with a huge log on his shoulder. I mean small telephone pole sized log. BIG...Sticking out like 3-4 feet in front of and behind him. It took me nearly 2 miles to catch him.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy