Is sub 3 possible for me in 9 weeks? 16 weeks actually (Read 624 times)

SubDood

Great racing, impressive result. Congrats!  It's been fun watching and learning with you.

Any plans for your next attempt?

What were your half splits?

I forgot my watch at home, so I didn't know my split accurately. According to Runkeeper, I was on the target, so I would think it is 1:30. However, at the beginning, the Runkeeper couldn't track it for about 1km even there was GPS signal.

I contacted the chip company and they said there is no half split.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Feeling the growl again

I forgot my watch at home, so I didn't know my split accurately. According to Runkeeper, I was on the target, so I would think it is 1:30. However, at the beginning, the Runkeeper couldn't track it for about 1km even there was GPS signal.

I contacted the chip company and they said there is no half split.

Well if you split close to 1:30-1:33, that's not shabby at all.  You must have really fought the good fight in the last few miles.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Great racing, impressive result. Congrats!  It's been fun watching and learning with you.

Any plans for your next attempt?

I don't have a plan yet. I actually don't like any race. Every time I suffered at the end. The experiences were never pleasant. After the first marathon, I thought that was it. I was not going to run another one, but then I ran a half and a full. LOL

I might have run my potential based on my training, but the race experiences were never pleasant. I should not have push so hard at the end. Then it wouldn't be a race, would it?

Also, I don't like that I feel tired most of the time during the heavy training. Running is supposed to be good for health, but that seems opposite for me. I think I just didn't train the right way.

At the moment, I am thinking about going back to run just 3 - 5 miles for 3 times a week and do some weight lifting and yoga. That seems more healthy than running 50mi a week for me. :-)

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Feeling the growl again

I don't have a plan yet. I actually don't like any race. Every time I suffered at the end. The experiences were never pleasant. After the first marathon, I thought that was it. I was not going to run another one, but then I ran a half and a full. LOL

I might have run my potential based on my training, but the race experiences were never pleasant. I should not have push so hard at the end. Then it wouldn't be a race, would it?

Also, I don't like that I feel tired most of the time during the heavy training. Running is supposed to be good for health, but that seems opposite for me. I think I just didn't train the right way.

At the moment, I am thinking about going back to run just 3 - 5 miles for 3 times a week and do some weight lifting and yoga. That seems more healthy than running 50mi a week for me. :-)

I don't get it.  If you're racing it you're going to feel like death at the end.  Absolutely awful.  You enjoy the result not the process...ok, well some of us get some sick enjoyment out of the pain.

Scratch that.  I've really enjoyed the end of some of my hard marathons.  But not because it felt good.  It did not.  But pushing myself to the limit, getting in touch with that and feeling I was in control, made me feel alive.

But it hurt like hell every second.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

bhearn

Running in such a small race can add an extra psychological challenge. If you were to run, say, Boston, the energy from the other runners and the crowd would give you a totally different experience. But yes... if you are not pushing hard at the end, you are not racing. However, when you miss your goal, then the experience is also different. You pushed as hard as you could, and it still wasn't enough. Ideally you will have picked a goal that is just at your fitness level. Then it doesn't get really hard until the last few miles, and by then you are close enough to smell it. Knowing that you are going to miss your goal, but you still have to be working hard, is a real burden.

Also, I don't like that I feel tired most of the time during the heavy training. Running is supposed to be good for health, but that seems opposite for me. 

It's certainly possible to get burned out on training. I'm pretty burned out right now... trying to figure how to get back in the saddle, emotionally. Normally what keeps me going is a goal I can care about. I'm pretty sure you have a sub-3 in you. Whether that's important enough to motivate another training buildup, only you can say.

bhearn

...ok, well some of us get some sick enjoyment out of the pain.

Scratch that.  I've really enjoyed the end of some of my hard marathons.  But not because it felt good.  It did not.  But pushing myself to the limit, getting in touch with that and feeling I was in control, made me feel alive.

Yes. There's a rare mindset towards the end of a marathon, of actually savoring the pain. I don't always get it, but when I do, it's awesome.

I don't get it.  If you're racing it you're going to feel like death at the end.  Absolutely awful.  You enjoy the result not the process...ok, well some of us get some sick enjoyment out of the pain.

But it hurt like hell every second.

I agree that the experience at the end of a race, especially marathon for me, can never be found in any other life experiences.

Running in such a small race can add an extra psychological challenge. If you were to run, say, Boston, the energy from the other runners and the crowd would give you a totally different experience. 

It could be different in a big crowd, although the courses I ran usually mixed with other shorter distance races, so at the end, there were usually a lot of runners. It didn't seem to boost my energy. My dying feeling were overwhelming any other factors.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

.... Ideally you will have picked a goal that is just at your fitness level. Then it doesn't get really hard until the last few miles, and by then you are close enough to smell it.....

For me, this may be true of a 10mi race, but in a marathon it is well hurting before mile 20.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

For me, this may be true of a 10mi race, but in a marathon it is well hurting before mile 20.

A 10mi is the second circle of hell.  The marathon is the seventh.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

15mi a week, with yoga and weights is certainly going to promote better health than training and racing marathons.  A marathon is not good for your health.  It's good for your character and your soul.

Still, it would be a shame for you to drop it now.  It's pretty clear to everyone you'd have a sub-3 in the spring -- especially with a little better training plan.

But marathoning isn't for everyone.  Nor should it be.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

No more marathons

I can relate.  After a wildly unexpected good showing in my first marathon was followed by two failed attempts at a BQ (2:50 back then) and a DNS due to illness at a third, my focus began to lag a bit.  Yeah, a bit.  Like 23 years.

If it's important to you (the sub 3) stay with it now.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

A 10mi is the second circle of hell.  The marathon is the seventh.

The 10K must be the 5th, right?

Some people run for fitness.  Some people race.  Those who race with lofty goals have to embrace the suck.  Pain is part of the deal. Sometimes a lot.  And some actually enjoy that pain.

Only you can make the choice of what you want from running..no one can give you your answer.  But I suggest a few more nights to sleep on it  - it may give you some clarity.

Ready, go.

xhristopher

"You have to forget your last marathon before you try another. Your mind can't know what's coming."

- Frank Shorter