taking 2 weeks off in the middle of marathon training (Read 1026 times)

trojancinephile

I am running in the Go! St. Louis Marathon on April 19. I've built up to 14 miles so far and plan on getting to 20 miles by the last week in February. The first week in March, I'll run another 20 miles. The reason I'm planning on getting to 20 so quickly is because for the second two weeks in March, I will be in Africa doing research with a student group. While I'm there, I will not be able to run. I will be walking around the cities I'm visiting, so I won't be entirely sedentary, but I will not be able to run. Knowing my body, those two weeks off from running will make it quite uncomfortable for me to run when I return from my trip, and when I return, I will be four weeks away from my marathon. I have two questions: 1. Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping me loose and in condition while I'm overseas (something I could do in my hotel room)? 2. How do you suggest I arrange those final 4 weeks before my marathon, once I return; I was thinking the week I get back, I do a long run of 15, then the next week, a long run of 20, and then a 2 week taper -- does that sound realistic?
    Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I have taken off two weeks right at what would have been the peak training time before a marathon. It was not really a problem, I set a PR anyway. My maximum long run only got up to 16 miles. I think your marathon performance depends far more on your last twelve months than on your last twelve weeks. All of this assumes you're reasonably experienced and have some long-term miles under your belt. If you're a first-timer with a short history of running you might not fare so well if you don't stick to a schedule. Of course, I'm one of those spoil-sports who thinks that if you don't have a year or two of solid mileage already, you're not ready for a marathon anyway. Tongue Don't try to come back and pretend you didn't take two weeks off. You can't just skip ahead. Trying to pile on the miles to make up for lost time is more dangerous than simply accepting that you're going to race with less training. Those final four weeks are not going to make you substantially more prepared -- but they could make you substantially more injured. So go have fun on your trip, stay as active as you can, and then come back and pick up your training at a level that feels comfortable. Don't worry about hitting any magic numbers like "20".
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
        1. Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping me loose and in condition while I'm overseas (something I could do in my hotel room)? 2. How do you suggest I arrange those final 4 weeks before my marathon, once I return; I was thinking the week I get back, I do a long run of 15, then the next week, a long run of 20, and then a 2 week taper -- does that sound realistic?
        I'm assuming this is your first marathon. In my last marathon, I PR'd by 46 minutes after missing two weeks of training due to illness. You'll be fine. Maybe you'll be lucky and the hotel will have a treadmill. If not, look for opportunities to run what you can. Your plan sounds fine. Some folks around here will say that tapering was put in place for high mileage elites and is extremely overrated for us "mortals". While I haven't tested this theory on the marathon distance - it has certainly been true for me in shorter distances. Having said that - if you are feeling good - don't be afraid to run a normal schedule the second to last week. Another option is to do 20 the week you get back, then 15, then 20 again.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

trojancinephile

I'm assuming this is your first marathon.
          It's actually my second marathon, but my third time training for one. I ran Chicago 07, but was stopped and redirected at mile 17. Then I ran (and finished) Chicago 08. Thanks for the advice so far!
          cgallant5

For me, I have found peak mileage to be best at 6-8 weeks out. After that I do shorter and harder workouts, until I begin a 3 week taper. So I think you could be fine. If you can't run on a hotel treadmill, you can do a workout in your rooom. Try something like this: 10 "sets" with 30 seconds of jogging in place between them. The sets would be things like: 3 sets of push-ups, 3 sets of sit-ups, jumping jacks, high knee drills, lunges or simply jumping as high as you can several times. This will get your heart racing, then rest 5 miutes and do another. You will less conditioning this way. I was once seriously snowed in at hotel for 3 days and just ran up and down the stairwell each day. At minimum, do your stretches. You can at least improve your flexibility during the 2 weeks.

Maniac

I was once seriously snowed in at hotel for 3 days and just ran up and down the stairwell each day.quote> Good point...Does the hotel have stairs? Not that running stairs for hours on end is good for your legs or equivalent mileage, but it will certainly help maintain your fitness. Never run a marathon, but I have tested the "no taper" theory on a couple of half marathons. Seemed okay. Again, though...A half marathon is not a full marathon....But you already knew that.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy