Badwater (Read 1252 times)

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Boy we have gotten off topic haven't we? Did anyone notice that 5 of the top 9 finishers were women? The first and second men really gave a good run at the record time? The first woman annihilated the women's record and ran an utterly stupid 5 leg(Averaged over 6 mph)? This was probably the most EPIC Bad Water ever. I must say congrats to everyone in it but especially to Jamie who freaking rocked it!

Imminent Catastrophe

Are you talking to me? Are you going to be in my crew?
      Oh yeah, if you do Badwater, I promise I'll be in your crew.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

God the women's race was tough this year! 7 of the top 11 runners were women!
        Purdey

Self anointed title

Oh HTFU. They'd probably let you run alongside the road, if you wanted.
          Clowning around A truly awesome race. I can't wait to see some coverage - but probably none in UK... Hopefully they'll make some sort of documentary about it.

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Clowning around A truly awesome race. I can't wait to see some coverage - but probably none in UK... Hopefully they'll make some sort of documentary about it.
            I have asked Jamie if she will make a DVD from her footage. It was such an epic race she might want to sell it though! Big grin
              4) link to what?
              I was just curious if someone had ever done a tests on any of these runners during the race. Maybe Discovery Health covered Badwater. Smile

Vim

A Saucy Wench

Is there a finish cutoff? It seems like people are still out there. Not sure which I am more impressed by finishing in <24 hours (ok, yeah that) or the fact that some are out there 48 hours in and still trucking. that is a long hot hellish hike. hours="" (ok,="" yeah="" that)="" or="" the="" fact="" that="" some="" are="" out="" there="" 48="" hours="" in="" and="" still="" trucking.="" that="" is="" a="" long="" hot="" hellish="" hike.=""></24 hours (ok, yeah that) or the fact that some are out there 48 hours in and still trucking. that is a long hot hellish hike. >

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Is there a finish cutoff? It seems like people are still out there. Not sure which I am more impressed by finishing in <24 hours="" (ok,="" yeah="" that)="" or="" the="" fact="" that="" some="" are="" out="" there="" 48="" hours="" in="" and="" still="" trucking.="" that="" is="" a="" long="" hot="" hellish=""></24>
                  60 hours is the cutoff I think. And yes that would be considered an extended stay in H$LL!

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Did anyone notice that 5 of the top 9 finishers were women? Yes, I did notice. Amazing. What is that all about? New Luna bar tea cakes? Possibly the girls who have had the opportunity to participate in sports under Title Nine? Are women closing the gap between the sexes? Are we especially, physically and mentally equiped to handle longer distances? Hmm, yes, were off topic but it is interesting.
                    Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                    protoplasm72

I was just curious if someone had ever done a tests on any of these runners during the race. Maybe Discovery Health covered Badwater. Smile
                      I found an advanced computer program that predicts what will happen to your body if you run the race. This is what it came up with for Trent Cool

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I found an advanced computer program that predicts what will happen to your body if you run the race. This is what it came up with for Trent Cool
                        So what changed? I fail to see the difference?
                          Absolutely amazing athletes! I think of races of that distance as pure endurance contests at super slow speeds, the emphasis purely on guts and the ability to tolerate pain; evidently some are so good that this is not the case, they are superhuman. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Imminent Catastrophe

Did anyone notice that 5 of the top 9 finishers were women?
                            Actually ultra-endurance is one area where women can compete equally with men. Pam Reed won Badwater in 2002 and 2003. Not the women's division, but overall winner. 5 of 9 top finishers were women? Personally I think that's pretty cool.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

A Saucy Wench

So what changed? I fail to see the difference?
                              His calves shrunk

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7