Do you need to hear live or recorded music during a long race? (Read 251 times)

degregorius

A couple of people in my CARA(*) training group ran the Austin Marathon.  They were happy with the race, and especially pleased with how much live music was playing during the race.

I don't listen to music when I run.  Furthermore, a lot of the races I run have been rather quiet. I enjoy running on streets that are normally crowded with cars & motorcycles are relatively quiet.  The Crazy Legs Classic is an example: The U.W. band played a the beginning of the race in Capitol Square, and at the end at Camp Randall  Stadium.  Other that that there was nothing but the sounds of 16,000 people huffing & puffing their way through the U.W. campus.

But how about you?  Do you find it more motivating to hear live or recorded music during a 10 miler or a Half or a full Marathon?

Is it tough to run through long, quiet stretches? (Example: the Madison Half & Full marathon run through the arboretum, and also neighborhoods where NOBODY's playing anything.)

(*) CARA= Chicago Area Runners Association, which conducts half marathon & full marathon training runs.

onefatchick

I do not listen to music when I run although I think I would really enjoy it.  Where I run is mostly in park settings and I do like listening to the sounds of nature, but I also like to be aware of any footsteps approaching behind me or out of the woods.  There have been a couple of instances of people getting attacked on some of the local trails (one lady was stabbed to death) and I try to stay aware of my surroundings at all times.  I think music would totally distract me from my surroundings.

Last weekend I ran my first half marathon and there were about a zillion live bands along the course.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and could feel my pace pick up when I could hear the music and it helped when I was getting a little slow and heavy in my steps.  It didn't really matter what songs were being played, as long as the rhythm was good; but hearing old rock and roll songs that I'm familiar with and grew up with were a treat.  I didn't hear any Katy Perry songs being played and think I would have gagged if I had.

beat

Break on through

No, I don't need to hear music during a race.  It's not difficult to run in the quiet. But it's kind of fun when a race does have a band or two on the course.  New Haven 20K has a few bands and a bag-piper just before turning onto the last straight-away. It's nice to have a few distractions here and there. I liked hearing Stevie Wonder's "Superstitious" at the start of the Philadelphia Marathon.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

rufustrunt

This is funny that you mentioned this, we were just talking about it the other day.

Here is the reality of the "music while running" thing.

90% of women listen to music when running

10% of men do

I mean, it is almost perfectly split down gender lines...

So it seems like the reason for this is due largely to the reasons why each gender runs.

Men run mostly because they are competitive, women run mostly to loose weight/exercise. Ask any woman why the wear headphones when they run and they will all tell you the same thing... they find running boring. Hence the tunes.

The reality of it is this though, if you want to be a fast runner, and break into the top 10% of runners (in regards to distance run and race speeds) you are gonna have to run without the tunes.

If you need to hear "Eye of the Tiger" (or whatever your motivational song is) to pump you up, then you aren't developing the inner strength and determination required to be your absolute best. That's the facts.  If you don't believe it just go to any race with top runners and see who finishes in the top 5-10%. You might find one or two headphones in there, but not to many more than that.

But hey, on a treadmill, crank the tunes bro.. everyone gets a free pass on that...

10% of men do

Source?

Dave

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Screw DJs playing tired cliches during my marathon over over-based sound systems and blown-out speakers.

Spunky little band of peeps fiddling, pick'n a banjo  or just grooving away on an electric guitar -- well, I feel some solidarity with them; it's not the music I like, but the idea that they're out there for their performance, and so am I.  Ahmen, brothers and sisters.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Source?

Grog's Book o' Science, man. Geez, didn't you learnt nothing in Specious Reasoning class?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

delicate flower

No.

<3

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

#artbydmcbride

In the last few miles of a marathon, it helps.

Runners run

This is funny that you mentioned this, we were just talking about it the other day.

10% of men do

So it seems like the reason for this is due largely to the reasons why each gender runs.

Men run mostly because they are competitive, women run mostly to loose weight/exercise. Ask any woman why the wear headphones when they run and they will all tell you the same thing... they find running boring. Hence the tunes.

Still funny. 2 hours and 13 minutes later.

lagwagon

music is a welcome distraction, but who really needs to hear uptown funk 10x in a 10 mi race (e.g. Broad St last week in philly).  I like live bands, but dont find its worth it when you blow by them in about 10 sec.  i'd prefer some entertainment at the long boring wait to start but most people are real serious...so its not something you see much (if ever).

I'm happy listening to natural sounds.

In most cases I would probably dislike music during a long race - esp. a long race since it would be annoying. An exception is a marathon I've done has had live African drummers out there the last 2 years (near freezing 2 yrs ago and raining hard last year) and the beats rolling over the hills sounded really neat.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                            GinnyinPA

I would love to have music during a long race, but for our small local races, that doesn't happen unless someone at an aid station has a boom box going.  And in that case, you only hear it for about 10 yards each side of the tables.  Because the roads remain mostly open to traffic, headphones are not allowed in any of the nearby HMs or the marathon (though in my recent marathon a lot of  people had them anyway).  I like running with music, but usually don't because I like to hear the cars before they come around the corner or over the hill toward me.  When I have brought music on runs, I find that sometimes the distraction is good, making the last miles of a long run easier, but sometimes it gets irritating, interrupting my focus when I need to be focused.

ultramarathon/triathlete

At the start of the NYC marathon you hear Frank Sinatra singing NY NY. I like that.

Later in the marathon you hear that rap song with the lyrics: New Yooorrrrrk, concrete jungle that dreams are made of, yadda yadda yadda. I like hearing that a few dozen times briefly through the boroughs. I remember once finishing (the year I ran with my wife) to some U2 song, the one where Bono says Hello Hello, Hola (Vertigo?). Whenever I hear that song I think of finishing with my wife. I like that.

In oher races I don't really notice the music. Don't care for it really. I prefer the lack of. I don't run with headphones and certainly don't race with them. I like the time away from noise.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                                Gatorade Endurance Team