Twin Cities Runners Help me Find a Running Store Please (Read 1200 times)

Nobby - Thanks for all of the advice. Right now I'm in Brooks Adrenaline, and I am thinking that perhaps the heel is too high. I've been wondering about using a less bulky shoe. I just went to a barre class, and my feet got a great workout (I used to dance every day, but after undergrad I took a few years off... I just decided over the holidays that grad school has sucked my soul dry, so I re-started ballet last month). I know exactly what you mean about the towel scrunching and stuff - dancers do the same types of exercises sometimes to work their feet. I think if I do lots of tendus, rolling through my feet and toes, using the resistance bands, etc., I should be able to get back some foot strength. Smile Happily, the ballet classes are also a fabulous way to stretch and strengthen my calves! Lauren p.s. - you're nuts for running in this weather. In a good way. I stick to the YWCA when it's this cold! modified to add: and, no, I'm not knock-kneed (you're right - being a dancer, this would be very very interesting!).
      Lauren: I was just thinking actually.... One way to strengthen your legs could be doing some easy hill exercises like bounding and springing. Afterall, Arthur Lydiard used to always said; "(in order to be a good runer) You've got to be bouncy and springy like a ballet dancer..." So you've already got a distinct advantage! Go to a golf course or a nice grassy park and find some nice easy gradual hill of about 30~50m. If you can handle wearing some minimalist shoes like some racing flats; I think Mizuno got some good racing flats; NB, if your feet are more or less straight, has some very good racing flats; adidas' adiZero series are pretty good; Nike's Katana Racers are good; and, of course, my favorites right now are ASICS' HyperSpeed (besides their Japanese flats! ;o)). This is because, especially over the uneven grassy area, if you wear shoes that's too thick, the sole is not going to take away twistings and turning. Once again, the closer you are to the ground, the more stable you will be. This is particularly true when you run around uneven cross country terrains. Anyways, after good 15-minutes warm-up, go over the hill with a bouncy exeggerated technique. Go up high with good back-leg extension and good flexing with your ankle (this is where your being a ballet dancer would come handy). Don't run "sitting in a bucket". Go up high, high, high, bounce, bounce, bounce...taking short steps (a foot or two in length) with a slow forward momentum... The slower your forward momentum is, the more resistance you'd feel in your legs and you'll get a better result. Don't overdo it at first. Just 10~15 minutes TOTAL would be good enough. Total, I mean, bound up the hill; jog around till your legs recover; maybe you want to stride down fast; or maybe you just want to go down easy... But going up and down like this on a soft terrain would work your legs, particularly your ankles and shin/calves to the extreme flexion and extention...and strengthen your lower legs and feet in a very natural way. Okay, I didn't mean to promote my webiste but you can watch the actual demonstration at: http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/training/hilltrainingdvd.html

Bugs

Lauren We have some similiar struggles. I used to have strong feet from kickboxing, and now have to do the towel pulls. If I don't I can feel it. I also struggle with posterior tibial tendonities. Nobby, It's cold, but you can tell me it's "Crisp and Refreshing" all you want. Smile Will you run the Irish for a Day race? You almost got me convinced to buy a pair of those Japanese shoes. I tried the Brooks Radius but felt they didn't have enough cushioning; my knees hurt. Thoughts? I think I only slighly over-pronate and is not the real cause of my strain. After I toe off my foot is wabbly and it wiggles my ankle. I am running with more focus on this now, keeping my foot stable, and it's a significant change. The tightness I'd feel occassionally in the middle of the inside of my lower leg stopped. Doc says I should do balance exercises, I am now. Any other ideas to improve my wabbly feet? Does the hill bounding help that too?

Bugs

Lauren We have some similiar struggles. I used to have strong feet from kickboxing, and now have to do the towel pulls. If I don't I can feel it. I also struggle with posterior tibial tendonities. Nobby, It's cold, but you can tell me it's "Crisp and Refreshing" all you want. Smile Will you run the Irish for a Day race? You almost got me convinced to buy a pair of those Japanese shoes. I tried the Brooks Radius but felt they didn't have enough cushioning; my knees hurt. Thoughts? I think I only slighly over-pronate and is not the real cause of my strain. After I toe off my foot is wabbly and it wiggles my ankle. I am running with more focus on this now, keeping my foot stable, and it's a significant change. The tightness I'd feel occassionally in the middle of the inside of my lower leg stopped. Doc says I should do balance exercises, I am now. Any other ideas to improve my wabbly feet? Does the hill bounding help that too?
          Bugs: Did I say "crisp and refreshing"? If I did, my mistake. It was FLIPPING cold! I haven't decided whether to run St. Paddy's or not. I'm heading for Japan for a clinic tour the following Friday and I kind of want to run back-to-back 2-hour runs (yeah, another crazy idea...) with my runner that weekend. I will not necessarily make a connection for not enough cushioning=knee pain. In fact, sometime too much cushioning may cause some problems. For one, you may think you have plenty of cushioning and may feel okay to land hard on your heel...??? Do you? I'm a firm believer that the landing shock should be aleviated with your running form; not with your shoes. In other words, if you miss out to teach yourself how to run feather-light, you may never be satisfied with 3-inch-EVA or whatever the material might be. I'm not quite sure what you're talking about in terms of "wabbly" and "wiggly" (piggly?) feel in your ankle but I think you've got the right idea that, if your ankle and/or lower leg muscles are weak, that might cause some problems. I believe hill bounding/springing exercises would help particularly done on soft surface. Wear spikeless spike shoes (XC shoes) if you can; this would stretch your Achilles even further. Once again, if you wear shoes with thick rigid mid sole over such a soft terrain, you'll have all the problems in the world because they just don't "conform" the unevenness of the surface. You should be able to pick up your shoes and twist around and bend it up and down easily particularly the ones you would wear doing these exercises on soft uneven ground. I've been studying some sprinting exercises from Japan. One of the basic exercises is to stand on your one foot and lift the other knee up and down. I could see the guy's ankle going side to side, trying to hold the balance. A simple exercise like this, I believe, could go a long way. You can stand on a grassy field on one foot and do this knee lift for, say, 15~20 times each leg. Do this twice or three sets; that can be testing. What this also teaches you is the feeling of "pushing the ground" (with the other leg). I think, by looking at slower runners, far too many people are more concerned with bringing the leg forward. Consequently they set out to run "sitting in a bucket". You should learn to get the center of gravity slightly forward and push the ground back. Incidentally, if you wear shoes with very thick heel; natural tendency is that (because of the high heel effect), your upper body will lean backward from the center of gravity to compensate the heel lift. In fact we have a special shoe with very low heel to teach this correct posture (sorry, not available in the US!).
            Bugs, you might try single leg balance squats with extending your free leg. It's a little like what Nobby described, I think, but extending the free leg as far as you can in multiple directions - front, back, side, diagonal - really pulls the balance muscles into play. My PT prescribed them for me when my feet/ankles were really weak. For me, the measure of progress was how far I could reach, not how far down I could go or how much weight (just did body weight). That can progress to closing eyes, doing them barefoot on stable surface, then barefoot on unstable surface (pillow is convenient).
            "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Bugs

Nobby! Yes it's stinkin cold. By wabbly I meant; I toe off, my knee goes to the outside a little, my foot goes in towards my standing calf, and then my foot lands on my mid-foot, foot actually lands straight from what I can tell. So now I am trying to keep my foot and ankle stable in-between toe off and landing. I suspect I am "sitting in the bucket". (Had to google that to understand.) Really could use someone who knows their ducks to tell me what I'm doing. For fun, I tried running just a little barefoot on TM. I see what you mean about stretching achillis and keeping feet stable by being closer to the ground. I went to the store today. All the shoes are built up in the heel. I compared the Asics DS Trainer that I had from 3 years ago and it is a good 1/4" or more thicker in the heel. AKTrail Thank You! I will try those. Since I know my ankles just went through injury, I suspect they are very weak and need to be strengthened. I used to do the FIRM aerobics for XTing on a slanted exercise step box. You bound up the step with one foot, step to the side with the other, and seems similiar to hill bounding without the impact. Maybe this would be good alternative until their is a green grassy hill available.

Bugs

Bugs: Sorry, I've meant to respond to your post but been a bit busy... Now I feel somewhat responsible to respond to your post; not only because of fellow Minnesotan (!) but also we have gotten at each other with equipment/biomechanics topic here! ;o) Not too many peolpe have a "perfect" biomechanics. If I'm getting what you're saying correctly, you are actually kicking into the calf of the opposing leg??? Many of us have legs turned outward slightly. When I lay down on my back and relax my legs, my right foot falls much further out than my left. It, in most cases, depends on flexibility of surrounding muscles. Naturally, if your hip muscles are tight, it won't roll outward as much. On the other side of the coin, if lateral side of muscles, like IT band, are tight, it's more likely that your foot turns outward. Whenever I get behind the girl I'm coaching, I can see her right foot kicks straight fine; but as it moves forward, it turns outward, sticking toes out; then lands just fine. I've been debating whether I should make a case out of it--and if I do, what we do to correct it; or just let it go.... I think, as long as you're landing smoothly, I wouldn't worry too much unless it's actually causing some problems (is it actually "kicking" your calf?). In regards to barefoot running and heel lift; it is a gradual business so go easy at first. Particularly if you live in the cold climate, which you do!, because, during the winter, like right now!, we tend to walk with very short choppy strides to avoid slipping and falling. Consequenty your Achilles would get shorter and shorter and tighter and tighter. When I found that out, I got this special shoe (sorry, once again, from Japan!). This guy has the mid sole all in the same thickness--from forefoot to heel. Just by walking around in these, you'd stretch your Achilles. It works very nicely particularly in the winter. http://image.www.rakuten.co.jp/tf-tsubaki/img10371976490.gif
                Lisa3.1

Hi all I am Lisa, in Minnesota as well. It's nice to see who else is in the same state.
                    Lisa, Where in MN are you? I'm right by the U of M (in Prospect Park)...would love to find someone around my level to run with. I've been doing more cross-training than anything this winter, but need to start to do 2-3 mile runs 3-4 times a week. I love running around Lake Harriet; I can't wait until it's warm enough to do that again! I think I might try to go tomorrow, actually....30 degrees is good enough for me. Smile Lauren
                      I ran a 5k around Harriet yesterday. It already is that nice out, 31 at 9:00am today. Big grin
                        I ran a 5k around Harriet yesterday. It already is that nice out, 31 at 9:00am today. Big grin
                        I'm on my way out the door - Harriet, here I come!! Woo hoo!!!!!!!!! I haven't run around Harriet since the fall, so I'm pumped. Big grin

Bugs

Nobby, Crap, I did not make it to Marathon Sports again due to broken furnace and needing to keep the wood fireplace going. Thank you for your kindness. My foot does not hit my calf. My shoes hit each other on the side of shoes sometimes. I thought maybe my perional tibia tendonites was partially caused by having a floppy foot after toe off. After toe off it seems to flop sometimes to the left, a little to the right. Maybe it is nothing out of ordinary. Maybe just weak ankles. Doc suggested going to Mankato Sports Instituite to have my form critiqued, but I think I'll give it some more time. I only did the barefoot running once, just to get a feel for the difference in the calf and achillis. Hope you had good runs this weekend. It's a bit windy.

Bugs

Bugs

I finally got to Marathon Sports. It is a nice small store. They said exactly what I knew, slight overpronator, and should be in a stability shoe. I warmed up the CC there (not that it ever gets to rest anyway.). Nobby, running around the lake in that area was completely lovely, much nicer than anything in Mankato.

Bugs

I finally got to Marathon Sports. It is a nice small store. They said exactly what I knew, slight overpronator, and should be in a stability shoe. I warmed up the CC there (not that it ever gets to rest anyway.). Nobby, running around the lake in that area was completely lovely, much nicer than anything in Mankato.
                              Bugs: Enjoying running in the slush? ;o) A nice small store!? They had expanded!!! ;o) It has been so hectic and I completely forgotten about St. Paddy's Race! My trip to Boulder got cancelled but I'm heading for Japan in 2 days. I took my daughter to the Stepping Stone theatre Sunday off Grand Avenue and saw a bunch of people running and thought about you! A bit late but never late than never, right? ;o) We are starting Beginning Women's Running Class first Wednesday in April. We'll be getting together one Saturday morning at Marathon Sports and jog around the lake; then Marathon Sports will provide a mini equipment clinic with coffee and bagles. They're nice guys. Wanna join us? It's going to be on 4/12 @ 9AM.

Bugs

Nobby, It was icy running on the street! Thought we were going to go down like dominos. The smart runners were the ones who did not spend the $50 to run and ran on the trail. I was not feeling well that day and was just glad to get through it. I signed up for a 15 mile around that lake last fall and had to skip it. This time I was sick, and well..I want revenge on that lake. I was planning on running a 20K in Rochester on 4/12... but I'll think about skipping it. I'd like to meet you! I think I am running the Minneapolis Recycle Run 5K and Kid's Run, any chance your running it?

Bugs