Is 3 months adequate to train for a marathon? (Read 726 times)

aes

I have run one marathon (in 2001) and numerous races of all distances since then but never another marathon. I ran a 10K in October and since then have been averaging 10-15 miles per week. With my 2001 marathon I had terrible knee problems in just one knee so I am thinking that I would need to do some good strength training this time around to develop strong quads/legs, etc. There is a marathon near where I live on March 21st. Do you think that I would have enough time to train adequately? Thoughts or suggestions would be great. Thanks!
      If your training log is accurate, you'd be risking injury IMO. A half, maybe, but to go do a full and not increase mileage too much to the point of re-injury, it seems a bit dangerous to me. Now, to be able to train on minimal miles, just to finish, then I'd say you probably can, but it's not going to be fun. Of course, I could be wrong. Just hang around, there are a lot of people here who know a lot more than me.

Runner

I agree with the other poster. If accurate then you will have a much higher risk of injury than success. And then if you succeed at avoiding injury it probably wouldn't be a good marathon experience.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Your running has been pretty inconsistent the last few months unless your log here isn't up to date. You aren't running the same mileage week to week. Your body might not take well to ramping up the mileage; as the others suggest you'd be at risk of injury. Usually the guideline is to increase mileage only 10% per week to help avoid overuse/burnout/injuries. As you don't have much of a base right now, it would take a while to get up to 15 to 18 milers. I'd expect you'd need a few of those to be ready for a marathon. Work on building up your base and running on a more regular basis before you get into marathon training. Good luck!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Roses Revenge

I'd agree with the others. If your log is accurate, you might think about a half in the spring, but would be better off planning a fall marathon if that's what you want to do. That would give you plenty of time to build your mileage up so you would be ready.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

mikeymike

define : adequately You certainly won't win but you could finish a marathon by March 21st. It all depends what you're looking to get out of it.

Runners run

i second a fall marathon with a half in the spring. Less stress on your mental end too... you won't feel like you're underprepared or needing to cram!
                aes

I should have mentioned that my log is not completely updated... I don't always put my runs in. It is true though that for the last month or two I have been running about 10+ miles per week. I thank you all for the advice and suggestions. I think I will do the half marathon instead of the marathon I wanted to do in March and plan for a Fall Marathon. I want to tain properly, finish strong, run strong and not be injured. Thanks again!

Dave

Aes, There are a group of us on here, many of whom are training for the marathon/half marathon that you might be referring to (National Suntrust Marathon) here: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/CRMarathonTrainers/ Feel free to join in the discussion.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Feeling the growl again

I should have mentioned that my log is not completely updated... I don't always put my runs in. It is true though that for the last month or two I have been running about 10+ miles per week. I thank you all for the advice and suggestions. I think I will do the half marathon instead of the marathon I wanted to do in March and plan for a Fall Marathon. I want to tain properly, finish strong, run strong and not be injured. Thanks again!
                      10+ miles per week with 3 months to go for a 26.2 mile race? NO.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

aes

That is the marathon I thought of doing (note past tense). I will definitely check out the thread. Thank you!
                          That is the marathon I thought of doing (note past tense). I will definitely check out the thread. Thank you!
                          Good call, there will be plenty of other marathons to train for and run. Set your goal, and make it happen!

E.J.
                          Greater Lowell Road Runners
                          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.