YMCA Sweetheart 4 Miler RR (Read 355 times)

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Gotta love a race where they encourage you to have a fling on Valentine's Day! Yesterday was the Stratford YMCA Sweetheart 4 Miler, with extra bling for couples running the race - except apparently you didn't have to actually be a couple. I was outside doing my warmup when they made were making the pre-race announcements, and they were pairing up anyone who wanted to be - announcements like - "Come on and sign up for a racy affair", "have a one-hour fling", and "your partner won't mind you running around like this". They paired up any guy and girl who wanted to, and added up their ages to come up with the groupings, then gave out 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to each combined 10-year age group. I did not get a partner, so no medal for me. I did, however, get a new PR. I lined up on the start hoping to go out and hold my last 5K pace of about 9:00 miles for the race, which would give me a great new PR. The race started out on a downhill for about the first mile, then climbed back up to a flat for the next mile. I went out faster than I wanted, hitting about 7:30 for the first 1/2 mile. Climbing back up the hill helped slow me down some, but I still ended the first mile at 8:28, so I backed off some more. On the flat, the second mile was in 9:29, which looking back at it is what I mus thave been doing in the second part of the first mile to get 8:28. Now I was a little ticked, as I ate up all my cushion by slowing down too much, so I picked it up again. Third mile came in at 9:05, including a tough climb of 120 foot over less than 0.2 miles. Garmin called it a 23% grade at some points. I was literally running on my toes at points going up it, but passing LOTS of people. The last mile was a more gradual (7%!) climb for another 1/3 mile, then down the other side of that hill we had just climbed to a turn onto another flat for the the finish. I held in some on the downhill, saving my wind for a kick on the flat. As soon as I hit the turn, I looked at my 305 - 3.6 miles done- pick up the pace - less than 2 track laps to go. Passing even more people, and I keep picking up the pace. I spot the turn for the finish with o.2 left, and really turn it on. Just as I reach the turn, I hear the volunteers yelling "SAND, SAND, SAND" - there's a pile of sand from the last snowstorm right a tthe turn, so everyone is now doing a dance to slow down without falling, and throwing their arms out to maintain balance. Luckily, there are no falls, and we turn for the chute. I crossed the line at 36:02 (35:59 Garmin) - a new PR by 1:40! Last mile in 8:47. Post-race food was all-you-can-eat HOT pasta fagioli - another plus for this race. Next year I have to find a fast woman and win a medal.
    MrH

Next year I have to find a fast woman and win a medal.
      Is that what you kids are calling it nowadays ...

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.