I'm a heel striker...do I need to change? (Read 1057 times)

Scout7

you're right. so, how was Jeff's mom?
    It's getting to be like a hotdog down a hallway anymore.
    Scout7

Sure. Why not? It's a fair question. But you know the hot button topics always get interesting. You'll just have to wade through the silliness to find your answer. Did you know the vast majority of elite runners are heel strikers? It's scientific fact.
      I hate you so much right now....
      JakeKnight

I hate you so much right now....
        Isn't hate a strong word? Did you know if heel strikers run backwards, they're Chia Runners?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

well since we've covered Jeffs mom, scout's hotdog in a hallway, and chia running, it begs the next question: I wonder if walking breaks would help?

Jennifer mm#1231

JakeKnight

well since we've covered Jeffs mom, scout's hotdog in a hallway, and chia running, it begs the next question: I wonder if walking breaks would help?
            Only if you walk on your toes.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You have to maintain 180 steps per minute or all bets are off. You know, because there have been studies showing that elite runners going 5min/mi and under tend to maintain 180; therefore, it's good for all of us no matter what our speed.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

You have to maintain 180 steps per minute or all bets are off. You know, because there have been studies showing that elite runners going 5min/mi and under tend to maintain 180; therefore, it's good for all of us no matter what our speed.
                it would amuse you to know I have tried this. Blush I'd feel more comfortable talking about your mother.

Jennifer mm#1231

The Greatest of All Time

I I'd feel more comfortable talking about your mother.
                  WOW Surprised
                  all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Prophet!

it would amuse you to know I have tried this. Blush I'd feel more comfortable talking about your mother.
                    boo ya!
                      I agree with coach Beck that "everyone runs "heel-to-toe" to some degree", but many runners, especially new runners, put a lot more weight on their heels than seasoned runners which is one reason why they tend to be more prone to things like shin splints and runner's knee than seasoned runners. I did make make changes to my form and am a better runner because of it. I used the book Programmed to Run by Thomas Miller as a guide and spent an entire summer working on shortening and quickening my stride and yes,my stride rate did end up at the magic 180 steps per minute which is where it remains four years later. My average training pace had pretty much plateaued. After working on my form, I picked up about 30 seconds per mile. Your question shows that you are interested in improving your performance so why not give it a try? If it helps you'll be a better runner for it, if not you're only out the price of a book, but I doubt that will be the case. Tom
                        You have to maintain 180 steps per minute or all bets are off.
                        I'm at 200+ SPM. Do I need to reduce my stride rate?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

C-R

Does anyone still have that link to the Haile video - I lost my bookmark..... Cool

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
                              What if she leaned her body forward a bit? Wouldn't that be good for speed plus the foot would adapt to a lighter heel strike? Or maybe it doesn't matter.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

evtish

Whatever u choose to do, remember to always run long, slow, distance.