Secret First Marathon (Read 657 times)

bas

Ok, it was not a complete secret. I told my family and some friends, but that was about it. I certainly didn't tell RA that I was going to run my first marathon. Why? Part of it was superstition. Early this year I had run a 30k and had a DNF because of Achilles tendon trouble. Also I could hardly believe that I was actually going be able to do this. But guess what? I did. Today I ran the Amsterdam Marathon and I Did Finish. Yesss! Smile The Amsterdam Marathon is a big event, with start and finish in the old Olympic Stadium from 1928. It is considered a fast marathon (the men’s winner, Emmanuel Mutai from Kenya did 2.06.29, the women’s winner was Magdaline Chemjor, also from Kenya in 2.28.16). That is all very well, but I knew that I wasn’t going to be fast. I don’t mean only compared to these people but: Not Fast, period. Still I started on a 4.00 hour schedule (fast for me). I knew that I would not be able to keep it up, but I liked the tempo and I hoped that I could stay with it for a long time. Until 20k that worked fine. We had crossed the Vondelpark for the first time and headed out of town along the Amstel river. The weather was almost perfect, except for a breeze from the north. Going back north along the other bank of the Amstel we had to deal with it until km 25. All the 5 k's until then had been below 30 minutes, but this one was 31. The next 5k went through a dreary industrial area, also part-way against the wind. This was for me the hardest part of the marathon, even if it was not the slowest. When this ordeal was over we went back into the nicer parts of Amsterdam and that made a big difference. In fact we passed through the neighborhood where I live and sure enough, there were my wife and my 13 year-old daughter cheering me on. My daughter gave me a Gatorade and ran along with me for a few hundreds of meters. That was exactly what I needed! From the start until about km 30 I had run most of the way together with a friend. But after that I could not keep up with his pace and I saw him disappear in the distance. Not very encouraging at km 32. I’m going right through the Wall! I said to myself as I passed that point. And I did, sort of. But my tempo decreased, and I had to insert more walking breaks than the short ones I had done at some refreshment stations. Still I felt I was going to make it. And as we passed the Vondelpark for the second time (between km 38 and 41) I was picking up speed again. Despite aching legs and feet I was elated because I knew I was going to finish - and because my son was there to cheer me on. One kilometer before the finish I passed my friend back and in the end we finished together, in 4.26.18. The finish in the stadium was an incredible experience. After I crossed the finish line I just sat there and watched the other runners who were finishing or had just finished, and the spectators - there must have been thousands of them, my wife and daughter among them. So, am I happy with the result? Can you ask? Smile Of course I had hoped I could have done faster, even if I knew at or below 4 hours was too much too ask. But yes, of course I am very happy. After three and a half years of running and at the age of 56 I have completed my first marathon. Do you mind if I am a little proud?

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

well done, congrats!!! Sounds like a great time sans the indutrial neighborhood. Sometimes, the scenery really counts. Tongue That is an incredible veiw of the stadium!

Jennifer mm#1231

CONGRATS BAS!!! Awesome job on completing your first marathon! Very cool that your daughter got to join you for a little bit! So when are you doing your next one?

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

WTG bas!!!! Congrats, and I love that picture. You should be a lot more than just " a little bit" proud Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

Another Passion

Congratulations! Big grin

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Great picture!

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Do you mind if I am a little proud?
                Not at all !! Big grin Grats!
                2009: BQ?
                va

Hi Bas, Congrats on your first marathon!!!
                    Great job, Bas! I think you deserve to be more than a little proud too! Congrats.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Great pic! Congrats!!
                        Incredible! Be proud! Nice photo.

The voice of mile 18

fantastic job! congratulations on your first!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Me and my gang in Breck

Great Job!!!!! Really cool picture too. When's your next marathorn?

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

After three and a half years of running and at the age of 56 I have completed my first marathon. Do you mind if I am a little proud?
                              WTG bas!!!! ... You should be a lot more than just " a little bit" proud Smile
                              I agree wholeheartedly with Cheryl (and all the others above). I don't know how to say "awesome" in Dutch, but if I did I would. Big grin

E.J.
                              Greater Lowell Road Runners
                              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Think Whirled Peas

Awesome BAS!!!! That's the way to start your marathoning career right there! And yes, I mind that you're a "little" proud. You should be a LOT proud! Running 26.2 miles is an achievement that you share w/a select group.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>