Solstice (Read 665 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Winter Solstice is the moment when the Earth is tilted furthest away from the sun. This year, Winter Solstice hits at 12:08 AM on 12/22 (a Saturday early early morning). Around that time this year, the moon will be nearly full. So. Who's gonna run tonight at midnight, of the longest night of the year?

You'll ruin your knees!

I'm thinking about it, but big dinner with the family tonight might get in the way... I love running under a full moon, particularly in the woods! If I get out tonight it will be on a golf course...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

What a cool idea. I might have to consider it, if I can convince Mistersippi to join me since there is no way I'm running by myself at midnight.

Michelle

The voice of mile 18

um no but I'll have a red win in your honour

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Very cool idea but I don't want to get shot Surprised Seriously though, have a great run tonight!
            2009: BQ?
            runpd

Eye Lick Two Rhune

My school does a shortest day 10k for any student that want to run. But had to run it early this year because of break. Its mainly to get the XC and Track kids out and running. I got to run it this year, it was fun the head coach and I used it as a training run since only one kid showed up.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Pre

Not likely. I will run a very hilly 12-miler tomorrow though.
                zer0vector

Winter Solstice is the moment when the Earth is tilted furthest away from the sun.
                  Not really. It's just the moment when the northern hemisphere is tilted the furthest away from the sun. Don't be so hemispherocentric (I don't think that's a word).
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hemospherocentric. Awesome. You are correct, please pardon my poor choice of words. I think I may run a very hilly 11.2 mile course, once before and once after tonight's solstice.

King of Sparta

Don't be so hemispherocentric (I don't think that's a word).
                      It mightn't be, but it should be! It'll be 5am here in Ireland, so I think I'll give it a miss. I'll be with you in spirit, if that's any help.
                      2008 Goals:
                      - Sub 1:00 10 mile
                      - Sub 3:00 marathon
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Good point. The 12:08 is Central time. You need to adjust based on your time zone Big grin

Dog-Love

What a great idea...but I have to pass because ....gosh no reason except I am going to 2 parties and I bet I won't be up for the solstice run experience. And in AK we would run at 10:08 pm tonight. Not too bad.
                          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

How long will your night be up in AK?
                              Juneau : sunrise 8:06 sunset 3:06 Anchorage: sunrise 10:14 sunset 3:43

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                              Thyroid Support Group

It mightn't be, but it should be! It'll be 5am here in Ireland, so I think I'll give it a miss. I'll be with you in spirit, if that's any help.
                                David, I'll be in Ireland in March sometime. Any chance you're near Belfast? Oh, and no, I don't want one of your 21 pigs! Smile

Michelle