What entices you to run a race? (Read 772 times)

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Having a goal to train for. Sloth is my favorite deadly sin, so having a goal race helps keep me on target. Otherwise, its just finding something that fits into my crazy work/volunteer schedule that leads to selection. Knowing someone living near the race is a plus, but usually its a scheduling issue.

Chris
    PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

On On

Shirts?Between hashing events and the few races I have entered I feel I have enough crappy cotton t-shirts. If the swag was something different (hat, vest, gloves etc then it may make a difference
      Accurate course?Could care less about certified or accurate courses. Not very much into PRs or anything so the actual distance of the event doesn't matter much to me. I prefer trails so in that sense i prefer an accurately marked course. I really don't care if the course is long or short from the advertised distance but once you are off course you have no idea how long you are going to be running.
      Location?Pretty important, due to being so busy it is hard to get out of town for races so the closer to home the more likely I am to enter.
      Flat or hilly course (whatever you prefer)?Personally I prefer running up and down hills, across streams, maybe down sandy hills and then back up a muddy ravine. That to me is a much more fun course than a flat 10K.
      A date that avoids conflict with another event?I guess this all depends what the other conflict is, is it another race? Is it your kids graduation from college? Is it a trade show you have to go to for work? I would prefer to go to a race that is not in a conflict with anything else in my life. This has yet to happen. There is something scheduled for every weekend through myself, my wife or one of my kids.
      Refreshments?I rarely take refreshment while on course but the perfect race would have coffee at the beginning and BEER at the end.
      Awards?Not necessary but the few I have gotten over the years I prefer the more usable kind versus plaques that sit on a shelf and gather dust. I even won a rock once that I actually use as a paper weight on my desk at work more than the plaque.
      Door prizes?I like the idea of door prizes and making them available to everyone. If my kids or wife can "win" something at a race they are more likely to have had a good time than just watching me finish.
      Chip timing?Not important to me at all. If you can tell me what time I finished and about how far I ran then I am happy.
      Professional race management?Professional? Meaning they do this full time or if they are getting paid at all? I want the race to be well run and the event to go off smoothly but I really don't care if they get paid or not.
        1) Being able to chase after hot women without the police or my wife getting mad at me 2) A goal to work towards 3) Monkeys

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

AnneCA

As a mid-packer: Sufficient portapotties at the start and it starts on time. Those are both just indicators of being well-organized, so I guess "well-organized" is what I'm really looking for, and that would also include things like accurate course, mile markers, some refreshments at the end, chip timing for larger races, etc. But the portapotties and starting on time are my indicators of interest. I also like races that, while local, have me running particularly scenic or interesting routes that I don't otherwise get to. I prefer loop courses to out and backs. If you're doing point-to-point, you'd better have a really good plan for the transportation (I always prefer parking at the finish line and shuttles to the start), and it had better be included in the entry fee. The earlier the start time, the better. 8:00 is okay, 9:00 is pushing it. I couldn't care less about shirts and finisher medals. My family votes for a jumpy house and kids races at the finish area, but they don't come to most of my races. Oh, and this should go without saying, but: the kids race should be free. At one race, the unmeasured untimed 100-yardish toddler race they had? They wanted $20 per kid. Shocked Shocked Now, they did have numbers for the kids, which was a nice touch, but, seriously, $20?
          wyerock

Start time affects me if I'm traveling. When I'm running an out of town race, 8am is about as early as I can do. 9am works a lot better. Toddler races should be free to encourage attendance at the main event. If they want numbers, then the kids should use their parents' number after they've run.
            DoppleBock

Shirts? Accurate course? Flat or hilly course (whatever you prefer)? A date that avoids conflict with another event? Refreshments? Awards? Door prizes? Chip timing? Professional race management? The absence of all that stuff? Others?
              Fun course Well run event Good free beer afterward (Yes there is bad free beer) a good economic value close to home After reading other posts - Competition comes into play if it is a goal race - Its nice to have people to race against - as opposed to be stuck in a dead zone.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

First year of racing (2008) it was primarily a relatively local race that the distance fit into based on where I was in training/goals. Now I guess look at the following: 1. Past Results / # of Runners (I guess sign of past poularity and judge if godd race or not??) , do not want to be running a marathon with 120 people ... might as well just go on a free long run. 2. Course Quality - If planning to try to PR a distance want a course that will give me decent opportunity. Do not like racing on non closed courses (if I want to dodge cars I can do it for free) 3. Race Organization (ie - website, registration, checkin, etc) thats about it as not too geeked about the shirts (actually only wear 1 tech shirt I got in a 10 miler, because it is actually a pretty nice shirt for training) and usually give the others to daughter or wife, Finisher medals are kind of like ribbons for 10th place in elementary field day egg toss (nice gesture ... but). Post race refreshments are nicebut not a deal breaker.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Lazy idiot

do not want to be running a marathon with 120 people
                  I've found smaller races to be among some of the more enjoyable. Even at marathon distance.

Tick tock

There are a few reasons why I generally sign up for a race: 1- It's the right distance at the right time in my training for a bigger race. For these, it either needs to be as cheap as possible...or if I'm going to pay more than $15-20, there should at least be Krispy Kremes at the finish. These are usually very convenient as well. 2- I read a race report and get inspired, and that could be from the scenery, the atmosphere of the race, or the refreshments (on or off the course). I have a couple of upcoming races where this is the case. 3- I run somewhere while on vacation or visiting someone and there's something about that location that makes me think, "hey, I'd like to do a race here". I don't really care too much about the shirt, although I do like it when they give you throwaway gloves at winter races.
                    mikeymike

I'M ON A BOAT!!

Runners run

Where's your boat headed mikeymike?

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

After reading other posts - Competition comes into play if it is a goal race - Its nice to have people to race against - as opposed to be stuck in a dead zone.
                          My point exactly to a friend. To help him understand this better Dopple Bock, what of those things listed or not listed, would lend to drawing a thoroughly competitive field?

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

kcam

For everything short of a marathon I've evolved lately into racing more for time goals rather than for the 'experience' of running some event. Most important to me now are proximity to a milestone in my training and within reasonable driving distance. Course accuracy is important (certified?). I'll run a free club race just as likely as a megaevent race. Everything else is minor (cost, Tshirt, support, refreshments, scenery, weather, chip-timed all are pretty much DONTCARES). For marathons I consider anticipated weather, course profile, on-course support, proximity to home, and most definitely the amount of 'hassle' involved (parking, travel, hotels, getting to the expo etc).
                              Trent and other race directors -- Cheaper and closer is better. Don't charge 40 bucks for a 5K. Point to point races I don't like. They are always logistical nightmares. Please let us pick our packets up on race day. I haven't been running long enough to hate the tshirts or awards. It is nice to get an old fashioned trophy! Finishers medals for halfs or longer races are nice. I don't care about door prizes, I came to run not raffle. I like races with "themes", otherwise it feels like a workout or time-trial. Road races should be certified and monitored. Please try to take accurate times of *everyone* not just the first people. If you can do it without the chip, that is ok. Trail races should be scenic and challenging with hills and views and something fun like BBQ at the end. An extra mile or so is ok for a trail race but if you aren't going to monitor the course or mark it well, please tell the runners that orienteering skills are required. Water on the course is essential. Please provide gatorade or something with electrolytes for races longer than 10K.
                                Shirts, scenic routes, that are somewhat hilly and single track, how easy it is to travel to the area, and if there are any brew pubs nearby Big grin
                                Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado