Pre-marathon check up (Read 776 times)

Blush Thank you for your support! It's very much appreciated! Big grin (so I guess I should probably tell him that I've signed up for a marathon)
    ANYTIME!!! Um what were you going to use as an exuse for our 20 miler and Marathon day? Shopping? Tongue

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

My $0.02: it's something other than your health that is causing your husband concern. Look at how many people finish marathons each year. Granted, it's still something very special, something that most people do not do, but it's not like only world class athletes are finishing marathons. With the proper training, I firmly believe that ANYONE can finish a marathon (doing it in a certain time is another story, but that's not my point). You cleraly have done your training -- your long runs and mileage is where it should be. You will have no problem running this marathon. This sounds to me like a control issue or a jealousy issue. It saddens me that your husband is not supportive of your running....
      2009: BQ?
        ANYTIME!!! Um what were you going to use as an exuse for our 20 miler and Marathon day? Shopping? Tongue
        Haha! "Honey, I need an ice bath because .... it was quite a day at the mall." Tongue (plus, don't you want him there...??)
          He knows that I run, but he never asks me how many miles I do. When I do my long runs now he's at work. He sees my hour long runs, but that's about it. It just works out that way. As for the 20 miler, well, I'm sure you and I will go do lunch afterwards, and we are two chatty women. He'll figure he won't see me till half the day is gone anyhow. Roll eyes As for race day....I'm working on the direct approach but I am concerned about his reaction. He won't say no, but he'll make it rough. We'll see.

Michelle

Haha! "Honey, I need an ice bath because .... it was quite a day at the mall." Tongue (plus, don't you want him there...??)
            *lol* Shopping IS hard work you know! Of course I want him and the kids there, but I'm thinking he'll want no part of it.

Michelle

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What is his concern? Specifically? And on what is it based? And most importantly, does he exercise?
                He knows that I run, but he never asks me how many miles I do. When I do my long runs now he's at work. He sees my hour long runs, but that's about it. It just works out that way. As for the 20 miler, well, I'm sure you and I will go do lunch afterwards, and we are two chatty women. He'll figure he won't see me till half the day is gone anyhow. Roll eyes As for race day....I'm working on the direct approach but I am concerned about his reaction. He won't say no, but he'll make it rough. We'll see.
                True we will be chatting away at lunch. Good luck hun!! Guess there is no such thing as the perfect spouse! Hopefully he doesn't make it too rough!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

LOL good one Tricia!

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I suppose you should tell him, but the devil in me wants to keep it a secret. You'll be spending more time doing the long runs and races. He'll get used to you out running sooner or later. It would be sweet to just come back one day with a medal around your neck. Of course, it would be just as sweet to have him waiting at the finish line with a full apology for underestimating your abilities. Tough choices.
                      What is his concern? Specifically? And on what is it based? And most importantly, does he exercise?
                      He has never specifically stated his concerns. He just says it's not healthy, and there's no need for it. Big grin He runs. Ironically. He runs 4 days a week, 3.12 to 4 miles a run. We used to run together but he won't run with me anymore, he says it's too stressful to run with me thinking that I want to be going faster (when I don't, not when I run with him). But keep in mind. HE HATES RUNNING. He curses every time he heads out the door to do it. He runs to stay in shape.

Michelle

LOL good one Tricia!
                        Although the way I do shop, Pam, I COULD use an ice bath some days! Big grin
                          He has never specifically stated his concerns. He just says it's not healthy, and there's no need for it. Big grin He runs. Ironically. He runs 4 days a week, 3.12 to 4 miles a run. We used to run together but he won't run with me anymore, he says it's too stressful to run with me thinking that I want to be going faster (when I don't, not when I run with him). But keep in mind. HE HATES RUNNING. He curses every time he heads out the door to do it. He runs to stay in shape.
                          Maybe you could ask him exactly what he means by "it's not healthy." Can he give you studies, journal articles, etc? And as for the fact that "there's no need for it" ... well, YEAH. There's no NEED to climb moutains or wear fabulous shoes or volunteer at an animal shelter or to scuba dive .. but we do it because we love it.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

HE HATES RUNNING.
                            He hates running. He is not successful at running. You love running. You are about to run a marathon. A Ha! He is jealous.
                              He hates running. He is not successful at running. You love running. You are about to run a marathon. A Ha! He is jealous.
                              Trent, why do I think there should have been an ERGO in there somewhere? Wink
                                Maybe you could ask him exactly what he means by "it's not healthy." Can he give you studies, journal articles, etc? And as for the fact that "there's no need for it" ... well, YEAH. There's no NEED to climb moutains or wear fabulous shoes or volunteer at an animal shelter or to scuba dive .. but we do it because we love it.
                                I told him just about the same thing. I said to him that with my running I am taking up with something that I left off with when I was 16 y/o. I loved it back then but life got in the way. Now, I'm back into it and I'm doing okay, maybe even better than I did way back then. It makes me feel wonderful to be able to run, after all these years and four children. Plus, I enjoy the social life it allows me to be a part of. AND..as WE all know, it is a healthy way to spend time.

Michelle