1st 5K Race Report (Read 437 times)

So I ran my first 5K this morning...but my report starts Friday morning at 9:30 when my wife's doc says he can induce in about an hour or wait until Monday. Then as we discussed it, I asked my wife to ask the doc if he will be here this weekend just in case she goes into labor if we choose to wait...he said he was out of town Sat and Sun...choice was made, and labor induced at 11:15 am. Labor lasted until 5:08 PM on Friday afternoon when our 3rd child and 1st girl was born. At 5:35 pm my wife kicked me out of the room to go coach the opening game of my 7 year old's baseball tournament (it was like she was trying to make a deadline). I coached the game, came home and took a shower. My mom called and said she was coming to the hospital and she would pick me something to eat uo...my sister called my wife and asked if I had eaten yet and she said no. So, at 8:00 PM my mom shows up with chilli cheese fries (I like them alot)....at 8:30 PM my sister shows up with...you guessed it chilli cheese fries. I ate both as I had not eaten all day. I then tried to sleep...tried being the operative word...on the little cot thingy in the hospital and maybe slept two hours. Finally, gave up sleep at about 4:00AM and just got up...held my baby girl until 6:00AM. I then got dressed, went to the cafeteria, got some coffee and cheese grits Big grin and mulled over reporting for the race. I went back to the room and my wife was up and without me saying a word she told me to go run...that I had worked hard for it. So, at 7:00 am I left for the race (bad food in me, no sleep, not caring whether I ran or not). I then remembered I forgot my watch...hope someone would tell me my splits. I get there and see familiar faces...even guys I ran against in HS. One even made the comment "If you are starting back, all of us will be in trouble in about 6 months." It felt great that someone rembered my running from 16 yrs ago and 40 lbs ago. Well, everyone started walking to the starting line so I did as well. I got in the back of the running pack. I thought we were about to begin so I started my MP-3 and put my headphones on...well I missed 5 minutes of course instructions b/c I just didn't feel like messing with my headphones. Finally, the gun sounded...We were off. I made up my mind to start off comfortable and not hurry off. Only problem was everyone else hurried off. I finally spotted someone about 20 yards ahead of me that I knew I was faster than b/c I routinely pass him at the track/trail I run at. I thought I would catch him soon and then try to find a pace by how fast I usually pass him working out. Well, I wasn't catching him or anyone else...I was getting worried. Then finally at about the 1/2 mile mark I catch him and begin to pace off a couple that was running nice and smooth right in front of him. At 1 mark I pass them and decide to just run and not worry about pacing off anyone. There were no splits given at the mile markers and no watch...so I had to go on feel alone. I felt good but was scared of crashing at the end b/c I had no idea what pace I was running. In the final 1 1/2 I could tell alot of those that left me in the first mile, I was now reeling in...while a many just completely left me never to be seen again. I always felt like I had more in my legs but held back for the fear of running out of juice or that I may already be running too fast. Well, that proved to be a mistake...when I finally saw the clock I realized I was ging to miss my goal of for 2008 of 25:30. I kicked it in the end...got my time...handed in my card...went and coached 2 more baseball games and then spent the rest of the day at the hospital...and just came home to see my other 2 kids go to bed...and now back to the hospital. I ran a 26:30. I think I could another minute off that next week if I had to do it again. I feel good...no soreness...nothing, and overall it was a fun race. BTW...Wife and Baby are GREAT!!! We come home Sunday Morning.
    2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
      Congratulations on your new baby and on your race! What an amazing weekend you have had! Big grin
      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Congratulations to you and your family! WoW! What a weekend! A fun race was probably just what you needed. Big grin

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Giant Flaming Dork

Congratulations, and a GREAT finishing time for your first 5k! Baby girls are so different, and amazing. Enjoy!

http://xkcd.com/621/

Congratulations!

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen