Garmin - "need to reformat disc"? (Read 33 times)

Altair5

Runs in the rain

When plugging in the charger/data cable clip for my Garmin 35 I get the following message from Microsoft Windows: "You need to format the disc in drive E: before you can use it. Do you want to format it?" and another message: " Location is not available E: is not accessible. The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted." Now I looked at the little retractable pins which clamp onto the watch and one seemed not to be coming out very much. So I ordered a new charger clip for the Garmin yesterday. Today I tried a cue tip with rubbing alcohol on the faulty pin and it worked a little better, but am still receiving the same error message. I did search online for a solution and there were some messages like 4 years old about Windows 10 incompatibilities and steps to reset the Garmin, but I would prefer not to mess with it and lose data or screw it up. I guess I will wait for the new cable to arrive and see if that fixes the problem, but am concerned that I may have to try a reset or reformat and not being very technical I am not confident of the results. I can use some reassurance that maybe the cable replacement will most likely fix the issue or if not that there are other fixes that will work other than replacing the watch. Any one knowledgeable about this?

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
    Get up, get out, get out of the door!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Waiting for the new cable is probably a good idea, and after you get it, you could try this:

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=5ueiclETkq12w3HOMaItY6

I wouldn't do the Windows format thing, though. Instead, go through the on-screen factory reset procedure for your particular model. Example:

https://www.support.com/how-to/how-to-factory-reset-a-garmin-forerunner-watch-10683

If you do have to wipe the watch, Garmin Connect will probably restore everything.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

I got the new cables yesterday but still got the error message. I reset the Garmin and did lose the data for the last 3 runs, although I recorded the times in my log. I had to re-enter my personal data, but everything seems to work fine now. Thanks Led!

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
        Get up, get out, get out of the door!