Home Remedies for a Cold (Read 649 times)

I like home remedies. As in, drinking weird stuff and being better, whatnot. I've got a second cold in 3 weeks. Currently taking Wal-Mart brand sinus stuff, and it works. I don't feel HORRIBLE, but it isn't ideal. Just curious on if anyone has anything that this bored bachelor should try...
    cunninghamjerry

Go to the tea section at Safeway and look for "Gypsy Cold Care Tea". I forget who makes it. I resisted trying it for years because: a) it doesn't make any sense that it would really help, and b) my wife insisted that it works. Well, I finally broke down and tried it on a never-ending cold last month and I'll be damned if I didn't feel better. It is spooky. I hate when she's right. Smile Jerry
      cunninghamjerry

Made by "Traditional Medicinals"

#artbydmcbride

Take a hot, hot shower, then rub yourself down with salt.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Whiskey.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Old family remedy. Whisky, lemon juice, honey, hot water, sock. Mix the first 4 to taste. Retire to bed. Place the sock at the end of the bed. Continue with treatment until you can see two socks. John
              Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.

Certainly Something...

Take a hot, hot shower, then rub yourself down with salt.
                My skin became as taunt as a drum just thinking about that.. *cringe*

#artbydmcbride

It should make you sweat like a water buffalo. Smile

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Time.
                    I don't like this answer. I'm still waiting for ostermubacducken to be a remedy.
                      Most colds take about 7-10 days to clear up on their own. With medication, they last about a week to a week and a half. I second the whiskey/Scotch/toddy treatment. Will have to add the sock the next cold.
                      xor

Here's what worked for me. My dog got really, really sick. I immediately forgot I had a cold. I don't recommend it, not really, but it really worked well. I was going to say "and it didn't cost a dime" but forget that. Dog spine surgery no cheap.

Certifiably Insane

I don't like this answer. I'm still waiting for ostermubacducken to be a remedy.
                          What? I have no clue what that is. Confused ( I gotta stop admitting that. People already think I live in a cave...) Serious business...I make garlic tea when I start feeling crummy. One cup of hot water, and thinly slice up a medium garlic clove into it. Let it sit for a while, and drink it. You can add a little honey, if you want. Sometimes, I use two cloves. Do that twice a day, and the cold goes away. Unfortunately, so will most of your friends. Good thing I don't have any! Big grin We swear (not loudly) by echinacea here. Paired with garlic, it really seems to work. Vitamin C and zinc always help, also. I haven't used the Gypsy Cold Care tea for a while. That's good stuff, too. I'm not sure if it was a different brand, but a long time ago, when we sold that tea loose in a bag at my store, I'd open a fresh bag and the mint was so strong it would make my eyes water. I've also heard good things from people about Zicam. I haven't tried it personally, though. BTW, maker, my sister lives not too far from you, by Knightstown. If you've been on the roads, and seen a really skinny lady go flying by on a bike at close to the speed limit, that may have been her!
                          On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30
                          xor

I've tried the zicam thing a few times. Here's what I (don't) know. 1. It doesn't claim to cure a cold nor to prevent a cold... only to reduce the severity and duration. One small point, though... there's no way to tell whether it actually did that. My last cold w/ zicam lasted about as long as colds normally last. Which leads to.... 2. Not all colds are colds. Trent can tell you in succinct terms how to differentiate a cold from a sinus infection from a (fill in), but many times we might think we have a cold when it is something else and vice versa. And if you have a something else, zicam is probably basically candy.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Waiting = time So you're already on Trent's recipe Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.