Foot Pain (Read 648 times)

About two weeks ago I started to develop a really acute pain in my right foot. It hurt so much I could hardly walk. After a week or so the pain went away completely so I went for a short run. The pain came back so I decided to go to the doctor to see if I might have a stress fracture. I got x-rays and nothing turned up. I'm not really sure what to do now. I really want to run, I went to the doctor and they said it was fine, I went running and now my foot feels awful again. What should I do?
      What are your shoes like? If they're old, maybe they need replacing. If they're new, maybe they're not the right fit. Have you had any other joint problems (like knees, ankles or hips) where you may have changed your running technique to compensate for an injury? Have you started using inserts in your shoes? Have you upped your mileage noticeably recently? I know that Trent posted an article recently basically saying that stretching hasn't been proven to be of benefit, but maybe you need to do some gentle stretching before running? Maybe get a second opinion on the x-rays. It's possible that a small stress fracture may have been missed by your doc?
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A Saucy Wench

I had pain in my foot last year that behaved similarly...it was peroneal tendonitis but hurt like a SOB--even got an MRI for stress fracture. Also, stress fractures often wont show in xrays until they start to heal after a couple weeks. I've also had metatarsalgia have acute onset. Feet are complex little areas. Go to a podiatrist, not a GP, in general regular docs arent that good at feet/ankles. A good podiatrist will be better at diagnosing and also at giving PT exercises to strengthen what ails you.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

The pain feels like it's coming from one of the bones in the middle that run the length of my foot. It's weird though because in the morning the pain is gone. It eventually comes back though throughout the day. If I keep off it for a while it goes completely away, running is fine, then it comes back. It's really frustrating me because I want to run but I don't want to injure myself.
            Look at this thread. I had a pain in the ball of my foot. New shoes fixed it. http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/c7fe9e03f7a8428581af2156e913beb5#focus
            "If I control myself, I control my destiny."