another 'break in schedule' question for the experts (Read 435 times)

OverAnalyzer

A little backstory...I am 31 year old woman training for her second marathon. First marathon was in 2003. In the interim, I ran a lot of 1/2 marathons and equivalent distances. I haven't raced anything more than a 5K since 2005 due to a pregnancy from hell in 2006 and other intervening concerns...blah blah blah. In 2007 and 2008 I was running regularly for 30-60 minutes....I ran a 5K in September 2008 and realized I really wanted to get back into marathon shape. Fast forward two months while I convinced my husband of this (as half my battle is and has been getting the time to train around family and work). In November/December I was doing the same 30-60 minutes. Just before Christmas I had a girlfriend decide FOR me (LOL) that I was running the Olathe Marathon in March (28th). Then we are going to do Lincoln in May. I said if I could get the first 'long' run in (7 whopping miles) I was in. Well, despite taking the ENTIRE week off from running, I hopped on the weekend after Christmas and ran 7 miles at a faster pace than I ran my 5K. Don't ask. Probably too much Christmas candy fueling my desire to finally do this again. Anyway, we've been going strong since then. Long runs of 7, then 8, 10, 11....I did an 11 miler this past weekend on Sunday night. This week's schedule is 4-6-4-12. I ran my 6 monday night................... because I had to have surgery Tuesday morning.....minor laprascopic surgery completely unrelated to running...except I've been told NO running for at least a week. And I don't want to have some oozing little poke-hole in my stomach. But I am currently home, off work going NUTS b/c I don't want to blow this training schedule. I was feeling great. I'm running my runs ALL on the treadmill, with mixed up elevation and speed for variety. (It has been negative numbers and icy here...thank god for the Sole I bought after my son was born. Good thing I'm finally giving it some proper use....) ANYWAY, what sort of advice do you have for getting back in the saddle? I *hope* to be at least doing a short run (3?4?) by Sunday, but I am not going to push it. I am currently feeling great. Just a little tender around the incisions. (3)........SAY I couldn't run again at ALL until the 30th or so...what would you recommend as an altered schedule to get me back on track for a marathon on the 28th? Our schedule is an 'advanced' beginner schedule. We hit 20 one time, with a taper. 4x a week schedule -- short/med/short/long. The psychology of completing the long runs is really important to me.... So, with that really long winded preface....help me de-stress about this dr-imposed break in schedule.
      So, with that really long winded preface....help me de-stress about this dr-imposed break in schedule.
      Just run. You will be under trained regardless of what has transpired, so just run.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

OverAnalyzer

Just run. You will be under trained regardless of what has transpired, so just run.
        so, you are saying that in your opinion I'm already not going to be ready for this race, regardless of whether I am forced to take a weeklong break or not? I realize I am not at a sub-3:00 level or anything, but I feel better about my miles this time than my last marathon and that one turned out okay. that being said, I will obviously get myself back onto the treadmill as soon as I get the blessing, and try to get back on track ASAP. I was sort of looking for some 'been there, done that' sort of advice.

Giant Flaming Dork

IANAE (I am not an expert) Congrats on getting back to running! It sounds like you are starting to get back to something that you really enjoy. However, I think you need to be honest with yourself about the ramp of mileage that you are doing. Do you realize that there are very real risks of over-training that you may not be considering? These types of injuries could keep you from running for a very long time. I'm not trying to hold you back, but why rush into the marathon? Can you do the half instead? I realize it's not the same, but your body may thank you for it. There are some people who can take this kind of mileage increase. I was not one of them when I tried to do what you're doing and train for a marathon in 10 months - and you're trying to do it in 4. pRED is right, though. Try to think about it this way... if you're not completing all the workouts in a Novice marathon program, how can you not be undertrained? MTA: bad grammer

http://xkcd.com/621/