When training for a half, how many miles is your longest run? (Read 911 times)

Jill_B

I fly.

TIA!

Bring it on.

I question the aerobic benefits of running longer than 2 hours, in comparison with running the balance of the time on another run throughout the week. Approximately 16 miles.
      For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.

A Saucy Wench

16 (ish) How did I pick that?- usually Its right at that point for me that is the difference between "fairly easy" and "damn" Somewhere between 16 and 18 is where I have to consider things like fuel and stuff or it just gets a bit harder. I genuinely feel I could run an easy 16 nearly every weekend, where I dont feel that way about 18. Maybe it is a time thing. 16 for me is just a little over 2 1/2 hours normally.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

C-R

Depends on your goals. "Just finish", "less than x time" or "race". More miles needed from left to right. Go log stalk some of the better runners and see what they do.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

xor

Who is Tia? For me, 15. And not 15.1. Nor 14.9. (ok, I'm lying... 15 because it is "a bit longer than the race") Running 15 makes me more confident that I'll still be able to hold it together in the last 5k or so of the race because I've gone longer than the race in training.

mikeymike

18.3 miles.

Runners run

Scout7

18.4 (just to be right above mikey in case this works like the Price Is Right). Exactly. If I'm not home yet, I stop and walk. Unless I can get a ride.

Maniac

I don't have the experience that the other posters have who have given you their answers. I don't run nearly as far or as often as they do. That being said....I've run 12 miles as my long run for each of the past 2 halves that I've run. Seems to work ok for me. I'm sure I could go faster during the races if I ran longer in training. Probably.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

mikeymike

Damn and I was pretty sure 18.3 would win this thing.

Runners run

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I don't have the experience that the other posters have who have given you their answers. I don't run nearly as far or as often as they do.
                      +1 on the experience I did 12 for my first half and 15 for my second and felt much better coming off the 15. I think mentally going just a bit past the half distance helped me feel very confident. You should note I am a slow runner, so 15 for me definitely violates the "under two hour" rule some people toss out-- my 15 is usually a 2 hour 45 minute endeavour or so.

Chris
                      PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

18.3 miles.
                        If Mikey says 18.3, then its probably 18.3............he knows these answers from experience. Since I don't know the answer from experience, I'm going with 18.3..

Champions are made when no one is watching

mikeymike

Here's the scientific formula I used to come up with 18.3 by the way... 1.) I have a 10 mile loop that I run all the time (when there aren't 5-foot snowbanks, that is) that I call the Forest Glen loop. 2.) I have an 8.3 mile loop that I run all the time (when there aren't 5-foot snowbanks that is) that I call the Norden Sturgess loop. 3.) Sometimes I run them both, back-to-back. Forest Glen loop + Norden Sturgess loop = 18.3 miles. Sah-WEEET.

Runners run

Scout7

You mean, 18.3 is based on analysis of your training from the last 10 years to determine optimum training distance, pace, and volume to maximize your speed and endurance for each race? So very, very disappointing.
                            xor

<obscure> Norden? That's the BOMB.</obscure>

Here's the scientific formula I used to come up with 18.3 by the way... 1.) I have a 10 mile loop that I run all the time (when there aren't 5-foot snowbanks, that is) that I call the Forest Glen loop. 2.) I have an 8.3 mile loop that I run all the time (when there aren't 5-foot snowbanks that is) that I call the Norden Sturgess loop. 3.) Sometimes I run them both, back-to-back. Forest Glen loop + Norden Sturgess loop = 18.3 miles. Sah-WEEET.
                                Makes sense to me.......when I apply that scientific formula to my 'Church Run' (where I run to a church an back) and my "Reservoir Run' (when I run around a small portion of the Wachsuett Reservour) it comes out to 17.9........so my new answer is 17.9...

Champions are made when no one is watching