Sunscreen (Read 1118 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Are you a sunscreen fan when you go out to run or race? Any brands you strongly recommend to try (or even ones to avoid)? It's a good thing to be thinking about. Cool

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Agreed! Grew up on the beach and rarely put the stuff on. Have kids now and need to stop thinking so selfishly. Bought some from REI that has both UVA and UVB protection and is resistant to water and rubbing off. I used it the 1st time this weekend and didn't notice it (which is good, I think).
      HOSS1961

I usually run so very early (5:30-6:30 am) that I don't bother. When I get into my longer marathon training runs I wear the sports type stuff especially on my ears and face.
        HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured

Mitch & Pete's Mom

I'm thinking of installing a vat of the stuff on the porch. That way we can all just dunk into it before we walk out the door. It is part of my everyday routine. I have to wear it everyday on my face and I put it on my kid's exposed parts before they walk out the door for school. Before I run I use Murad waterproof on my face and Coppertone Sport on the rest of my body or whatever is available at Costco. I'm not real fond of the oiler feeling ones like Banana boat spray but my kids don't care so I use it on them.
          Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
            I use the spray type sport sunscreen on sunny days, especially runs of an hour or longer. Although the aerosol version is more expensive, I find it much faster and more convenient to apply ... meaning I'm more likely to use it. Its also less messy and therefore easier to use when I'm not at home (e.g., at races).

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

I have very pale skin and burn easily - I always use sunscreen when I go out, pretty much all year round. I have struggled to find something that a) doesn't feel greasy, b) doesn't sting my eyes and c) doesn't make me gag with the vile smell. I have found that all the "sport" sprays to be useless, despite the fact that they seem like a good idea - really hard to use, feel very oily and almost all of them smell disgusting to me. Even the regular lotions smell "beachy" to me and are sticky enough that you feel like you're going to have bugs and grit sticking all over you before you get home. However, there are a bunch of sunscreens on the market at the moment that have something in them that makes them feel "dry" and I've generally found these work really well - it almost feels like you don't have any sunscreen on. My current favorite is Neutrogena Active Breathable - it's a lotion. It has almost no scent, doesn't run into your eyes and feels dry within a few minutes of putting it on.
                I have found that all the "sport" sprays to be useless.
                All the sport sprays I've used were the non-aerosol kind, so my comment doesn't apply to Berner's suggestion. All the ones I've seen were the pump-spray kind and I can never get them to work once I have any sunscreen on my fingers.

A Saucy Wench

I am bad about sunscreen. I mostly run before 7 am and I tend to forget later in the day. I use the aerosol ones with my kids because they cant run away that fast. I use a sensitive skin one on my face when I ski, but I tend to just wear a hat when I run.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

All the sport sprays I've used were the non-aerosol kind, so my comment doesn't apply to Berner's suggestion. All the ones I've seen were the pump-spray kind and I can never get them to work once I have any sunscreen on my fingers.
                    The aerosol sprays that I've used have not been greasy or oily at all. Indeed, I suspect that an oily mixture would tend to clog the aerosol mechanism. The Coppertone variety pictured above actually feels slightly tacky when applied ("tacky" as in sticky, not as in unfashionable). I think they add a small amount of an adhesive or glue-like substance to help the aerosol droplets of sunscreen adhere to the skin. Its not unpleasant or bothersome, at least not to me.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Lisa3.1

Meg, I re: to your other post in llr, and I want to add that if in places where there are going to be constant bugs, I would wear bug and sun sunscreen. It works great.

The shirtless wonder

I second the vote for coppertone sport aerosol sunscreen. It does not feel greasy. If anything it makes me feel like I'm coated in candy shell. ...I'm a running M&M... Now if only coppertone would make my best idea into a real product -- sunscreen soap. When better to apply sunscreen than in the shower? If only... Greg
                        Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I didn't like the aerosol because it made my bathroom floor sticky and also made me sticky, and I tried both Neutrogena and Coppertone Sport.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Scout7

I like sunscreen. Tastes like coconuts.
                            mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Having been a fair-skinned, freckle-faced Irishman since birth, I've gotten used to the fake coconut smell and the sticky feeling from the really high protection sunscreens. I have to say my favorites are the No-Ad brand Waterproof Sport, and the Coppertone Waterproof Sport creams. They seem to work equally well and don't run when I sweat. And believe me when I tell you that I put THAT feature to test very strongly. I am careful to put a little less on my forehead, or wear a wicking hat if I can to protect my head and forehead. The only difference I've noticed between the two is the fragrance. Coppertone is much sweeter, while No-Ad has a slightly more oily odor. But functionally they both work very well. The other brand I'm trying this year (if it ever stops raining here Angry), is the Bullfrog combination sunblock and bug repellent. Others recommended it to me last year, but I didn't get a chance to try it myself. It's sitting in my medicine chest, just waiting for a sunny afternoon... meanwhile my grass is almost 6 inches high now - ugh.
                              Scout7

The other brand I'm trying this year (if it ever stops raining here Angry), is the Bullfrog combination sunblock and bug repellent.
                                How's that taste? Still coconutty?