Mortons neuroma anyone? (Read 823 times)

Gotta TRI

Has anyone heard of or have/had mortons neuroma? It's that pain you get right at the base of the 3rd and 4th toes. It's really weird because it comes and it goes. I've heard it's because the toes are getting squished inside of a too small toe box and is easily cured with a pad that spreads the toes or something? Any thoughts?
    2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
      I was told I have it. I don't lace the bottom 2 holes (nearest my toes) anymore and the problem's gone! Infact, the local shoe dealer laughs because I wear my shoes so loose I can just slip them on and off- that's how I run in them! It works though, and no more problems. MTA: I also get a 1/2 size larger running shoe than the street shoes I wear.
      Jamie PT

Hi. You need to get a metatarsal pad to spread out the bones and tendons from squishing the neuroma. It may bounce around your sneaker on a run. I've only had people put it into shoes, not sneakers. It is the only thing that may work before you try injections and more aggressive methods. The pad is like $4 plus the standard $10 shipping on a tiny item like that. Try this site: http://www.hapad.com/met.shtml. Hope that helps! Oh yeah, no high heels either (andy - a male?).
          It's a fairly common ailment. I've had it. There are two nerves that come together in that location, and when they get pushed together, that's what causes the pain. My podiatrist gave me a cortisone shot and haven't had problems since (it's been a couple of years). And, I make sure the toe box on my shoe isn't too cramped. And, as Jamie PT mentioned, I never wear high heels. At least, not in public.
          My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
            I had a neuroma between my 4th and 5th metarsal, which is a less common. The cortisone shot helped a lot. I tried the metarsal pad, which I kept in place in my running shoe with velcro (attached to the insole so you can take it out and place it properly). Honestly, I don't think the pad helped at all and it changed my foot position causing all kinds of pain in my calf and shin and modifying my running. I found that biking aggrevates it a lot more than running because it is basically right under the clip on the shoe. I got biking shoes with an insole that has a metarsal bump and it seems to help a little too. I don't normally wear heels and the pain is basically gone, but if I have to wear heels it will return mildly and take a few days to diminish.

Gotta TRI

Thanks for the input gang. Really weird how it comes and goes. Last Sunday it was really botherin me pre-race, but felt fine during and post until later in the day. It's been off and on all week, and I'm racing again tommorrow. ( olympic tri ). Interesting point about the biking, hadn't really noticed it before and will now monitor to see if it gets aggravated then. I have removed the laces from the bottom of my running shoes and will see what that does as well. Thanks again, Andy
              2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon