Is this heart rate strange? (Read 519 times)

iang999

I am using a Garmin 301 and find it very useful. Today I used the HRM for the first time and got this result Starts at 100 then gets to 150 after 5 mins and from that point on is a sloping curve up to 170 at the end. A pretty much a straight line in fact. Now, as I am 55, have resting rate of just below 60 it seems that according to all the formulas I am training way above 70% which is what I should be aiming at. It is true that at the end of 32 minutes I am pretty well worn out. Perhaps the clue is in the heart rateCool. Anyway, any experience of this please? Thanks
    Complete C25K Done on 11/16/08!
    Keep running regularly 3 times a week
    Weight loss
    Plan a 5k race Do a 10k
    Get weekly mileage up to 20
      not sure exactly what you are asking but ... it doesn't look to unusual... if you are worn out after 2 miles Dead then it was probably a pretty tough workout.... and probably above "easy"... a good rule of thumb that has worked for me... is to run at a pace you know you could run the distance you plan twice... and that is easy... if when you are done you don't feel you could do it again... it wasn't and "easy" pace... unless it was your long run then you probably won't feel like you could do it again when you are done... Try running and see if you can sing a song while you are running if you find it hard then you are probably going to fast.... personally I find songs in 3/4 time to be a good test... I can sing willy nelson songs usualy when I am on the border of going out of my easy pace... like "started out with the dreams and the plans of a wise man.... ended up with the hearthaches of a fool" "As a boy I walked through the valley" "and gazed at the world all around" Wink But then again... you got a garmin so look at your HR and just keep it in the right zone... slow down or walk if you have to...
      BeeRunB

I am using a Garmin 301 and find it very useful. Today I used the HRM for the first time and got this result Starts at 100 then gets to 150 after 5 mins and from that point on is a sloping curve up to 170 at the end. A pretty much a straight line in fact. Now, as I am 55, have resting rate of just below 60 it seems that according to all the formulas I am training way above 70% which is what I should be aiming at. It is true that at the end of 32 minutes I am pretty well worn out. Perhaps the clue is in the heart rateCool. Anyway, any experience of this please? Thanks
        If you're running paces that are making you worn out by the end of 32 minutes, then you are probably exceeding your lactate threshold, and actually running race paces, a tempo run if you will. If you are using MHR to figure out your zones, then you need to know your true MHR. Click here for some ways to do that. Once you determine your 70% MHR, then don't exceed it for your aerobic running. This might force you to run slower than you are used to, maybe even walking the hills. This is temporary. If you aren't overdoing the time on your feet, you will start to build aerobic speed. Here's a good explanation by Mark Allen, one of the best triathletes of all time. If you use his method, you don't have to worry about MHR, as it based on a HR where you are burning more fat than glycogen. Good luck! --Jimmy
        iang999

Hi Guys, thanks for the tips. From what you suggest I suspect that I am basically going too fast. Using the Mark Allen page was handy, I calculate that I should be aiming for a heart rate of about 130 for 70% of MHR. I have also used the following page which gives a slightly higher figure for 70% (137). http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hrm1.htm I will give it a try as I definitely want to extend the running time.
          Complete C25K Done on 11/16/08!
          Keep running regularly 3 times a week
          Weight loss
          Plan a 5k race Do a 10k
          Get weekly mileage up to 20

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah, that's high for 55. Try to stay under 140, it will feel excruciatingly slow but it's good training. And less wear-and-tear.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016