On Wisconsin! (Read 2075 times)

Feeling the growl again

My dad went to a one-room country school and he is 58.

I went to a one-room country school through 6th grade and I am 32. 

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xor

I went to a one room school 2nd-4th grades.  Then a few-room school 6th-8th grade.

But it was a gigantic room.

One of them hippie "open concept" schools.  Lots of kids.  Few walls.

Two things:

1. In retrospect, it was weird that we had a hippie school in the middle of super-conservative Brownwood, Texas.

2. It didn't work out, especially in the junior high.  Which now has lots of traditional walls.

mikeymike

I did not go to a one-room school house, but I did walk to and from school and it was uphill both ways.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Did you wear Vibrams?

You'll ruin your knees!

1. In retrospect, it was weird that we had a hippie school in the middle of super-conservative Brownwood, Texas.

Party at the Moon Tower?

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Feeling the growl again

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I went to a one-room country school through 6th grade and I am 32. 

I taught in a one-room country school and I'm 36.

Feeling the growl again

I taught in a one-room country school and I'm 36.

Nice.  For the most part it was a great experience for me.  At least at one time, my home county had the largest remaining concentration of country schools (or so we were told).  I think there were around a dozen then and 6-7 still open now.  A couple have updated to 2-room buildings though, I think.

We spanked the local public schools academically....a disproportionate percentage of local valedictorians came from the country school feeders.  

DoppleBock

I do think the only statement that I agree with focussed at the Wisconsin situation is

"pay Health insurance and pensions that dwarf those of your neighbors who foot the bill."

The rest of the article is really focussed at a much larger issue and not fair to target at teachers

"Pretty much ever since, the "tax eaters" have been multiplying faster than the taxpayers. The balance has tilted so far that the great liberal lights of yesteryear, from FDR to JFK to LBJ, might well look at the Wisconsin unions and wonder what planet they're from. They certainly wouldn't recognize them as Democrats."

I believe that tax eaters are an issue - But I do not see Teachers as the  significant tax eater out there.

We can't say we weren't warned. Thomas Jefferson, naturally, foresaw the consequences of unchecked entitlement. "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

I do not believe this is in anyway fair or applies to teachers - As I have stated before we are 5-10 years behind in WI in the type and funding of Pension and Health Insurance - But this statement has nothing to do with the current issues at hand.

Bullseye.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

I did not take the article to be targeting teachers at all, but a larger issue with our nation's culture as a whole.  Maybe I should have posted with a little more context, sorry.  I was more targeting the entitlement mentality of unions and others.

Why is it sideways?

Thomas Jefferson never said that.. Pretty classic Fox News.

xor

DoppleBock

Status: This exact quotation has not been found in any of the writings of Thomas Jefferson. It bears a very vague resemblance to Jefferson's comment in a prospectus for his translation of Destutt de Tracy's Treatise on Political Economy: "To take from one, because it is thought that his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, ‘the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry, & the fruits acquired by it.'"[3]

Thomas Jefferson never said that.. Pretty classic Fox News.

I do not know what Fefferson said or did not say - But I read the above to mean really close to what Fox had written - Can you explain what is different?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

C-R

This has been a very interesting discussion to follow and since our Democratic legislators from Indiana have decided to also run and hide, it seems to beg the question does taking your ball home really represent the best of a representative republic. It seems very 3rd worldish to me. The voters have spoken at the ballot box but their voice is being stiffled due to haughty parlor tricks. How would the media respond if the roles were reversed? 

Jefferson did say this:

I am for a government rigorously frugal & simple, applying all the possible savings of the public revenue to the discharge of the national debt; and not for a multiplication of officers & salaries merely to make partisans, & for increasing, by every device, the public debt, on the principle of its being a public blessing.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Of course in Jefferson's day there was no income tax, no ginormous standing army, no billion dollar weapons industry, no medicare or medicaid at all...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.