Nike Human Race 10K (Read 2548 times)

#artbydmcbride

The race here is at 8:30 pm. One of the marketing emails Nike sent me was to be sure to get some Nike sunglasses to keep the glare at bay during the race. Big grin

Runners run

Well, I can officially say I have the highest bib number I've ever raced with: 626,754. Surprised

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Outside Lane

So is everyone ready to run?

See how they run...

Well that was fun! As I ran in Melbourne I'm probably one of the first in here to do it. My Bib No was 0809204. I doubt I'll ever have a number that high again. The race start was at 8:30AM Australian Eastern Standard Time which is 10 hours ahead of GMT. The Melbourne course wasn't an easy one with 3 difficult hills to contend with. I wasn't after a good time as I'd offered to pace a group of 4 to a sub 50 minute time. I've also been sick during the week with a cold which I'm still recovering from so the slower pace suited me fine. I was worried we were going to get soaked on the way in with a few downpours and some lighter showers-but the rain held off for the race. I told the people I was pacing that they didn't have to run with me-just stay ahead of me. I stayed with the slowest of them to try to drag her through. At the end of it she was the only one to miss 50 minutes-unfortunately she just didn't have it in her with all those hills. Our time was 50:36 so she didn't miss by alot and still got a 2 minute PB so she's happy. My slowest 10km race ever but that's fine-it was also possibly my most satisfying as I really enjoyed helping others to their goals. I haven't tried pacing before, but will be doing it again in the future. The concert after wasn't really my thing but the kids enjoyed it. Overall a great day and full marks to Nike for the smooth running of the event. I'm not sure if there were enough people to warrant them running it again next year (it was poorly promoted here) but if they do it again, I'll be there.
            I ran it here in Albuquerque. THere was no official race set up it was just a group of us who signed up at the running store that got together to run it. The store was nice enough to set up the course and also support us with water and gatorade. It was a great experience and a perfect time for me to practice some marathon pace miles! Wink MTA: I bought the shirt from Nike with the bib number on it. My number is/was 310330!!!!
            Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
              Still six hours until the race in Chicago. Glad its chip timed considering how much of a head-start some of you folks got! Cool

theyapper

On the road again...

I ran it all by my little self near Charlotte early this morning at 6:00 am. It was my first 10k and my only goals were to 1) finish, and 2) get in under 1:10. I had a great time and was pleasantly surprised to still be breathing at the end and to have come in under an hour at 59:58.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

shoukyd

Tel-Aviv was great..hot..humid..and crowded (close to 10,000 people registered). My second 10k, 1:10 but the main challenge was to finish it. The fast runners were on the way home by the time that I finished. Lot's of young people who ran past me without a blink but I still managed to pass some others so I don't think that I'll be at the very botoom of the list. Smile

I run for Fried Chicken!

Ran it in LA. It was way too crowded but still fun. Ran it really easy with my sister and her husband, first time going that distance for both of them. I contemplated lining up at the 8min mile corral but I'm glad I didn't after being in the massive crowd. Would have been a hard race to try and run fast.

Outside Lane

Ran it in Chicago. It was alot of fun. I think they got alot more runners than they anticipated - they seemed a bit overwhelmed. They were still putting up signs for the start corrals and just getting the chip timing mats down about 30 min before the race started. Lots and lots of red shirts. It was hot at the start. The city skyline looked beautiful as you headed back toward Soldier Field - running right along the lake - for the last half of the race. I finished about 1:07 - my second 10K (and my first in 4 years). I was happy with it - and glad that I could JUST DO IT. Wink

See how they run...

Also ran in Chicago, and had a nice race. I thought the organizers did a pretty damn good job handling the 14,000 runner crowd, and everything seemed to go off without a hitch. The race was a definitely a bit crowded at the start, but no worse (and maybe even a little better) than other big races in Chicago. Some elbows and shoulders were getting thrown around in the tunnel under McCormick Place, but I've learned that running can be a contact sport in a race this size. All in all, the course layout was just fine (basically identical to the Distance Classic and the Soldier Field 10 -- meh). I've heard other cities had pretty bad courses (e.g., New York) that seriously impeded people running for time; that really wasn't the case in Chicago. Heat, humidity sucked. Shirt was getting wet just standing around before the gun. But I still managed an over 1 minute PR (43:03). Since this race capped off my second consecutive month aggregating over 360 miles, I'm not going to beat myself up that I didn't shave off another 20-30 seconds like I think I could have. I finished in the top 300, which is pretty cool considering the size of the race and level of competition in Chicago generally. It was very cool to see Dathan Ritzenhein before the race and then afterward announcing the first place male and female. Fall Out Boy concert was fun, but I'm 30 years to old (and the wrong gender) for their target audience. Still, for $35 bucks I got a race, first-class amenities, a shirt, and a concert from a band who had at least one song I knew. (Two songs actually, counting their cover of Micheal Jackson's "Beat It." Yes, I'm serious. It rocked.)

NY was horrible. It was warm (though not as warm as Chicago). They delayed the start 30 minutes. The path the race was on was maybe 5-7 feet wide. It was a two loop course. The footing was horrible and uneven. The faster runners were impeding by the slower runners on the 2nd loop. Both the 1st loop and 2nd loop runners had to go over a bridge that was maybe 6-8ft wide. Traffic jam.So I just stopped my watch and started it when I started running. Course probably wasn't accurate.... I "ran" a 43:05 10k and came in 143rd or something which should show you how bad the course is.... My first 5k was 19:4x-19:5x, so we lost about 1:30 trying to get over the narrow bridge. The winner was only 32:35 I think.. I'm sure lotsa people just cut the course at the bridge. The concert was good and fun, and I am glad I drove in and got there early as it was a breeze to get in and out of that place by car. Overall, I will never run a race at Randalls Island again!!! and probably not another one of these Nike Rock things. Too many too casual runners..

Jazz hands!

I ran it in LA last night and just posted a race report Big grin It seemed really well organized in LA--streets were plenty wide, everything super clearly marked. The bathroom lines were even pretty fast-moving, and they were real bathrooms. Of course, if I'd actually been trying to run it fast instead of "Oh God, just finish!" it may have been different, and I was dodging walkers the whole way (except for the speedwalking grannies that passed me. Stupid senior citizens), but no weird bottlenecks or anything. The weather was also fine--nice and cool and dry. Nighttime is definitely the time to run a race in LA.
                            run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                              Austin was hot. And humid. And hilly. And, did I mention, hot? And humid? Nike did a great job, it all went very smoothly. I'm just sad I didn't see Lance Armstrong and Matthew McConaughey in all the madness!
                                I ran it all by my lonesome - Toronto was not one of the chosen race towns. We only have about 5 million people here and a really nice waterfront, but guess we don't count. Roll eyes I had a personal PR - yay! It was hot and humid and I wasn't going to run it but once I got going, I thought oh, what the heck and I switched on the Nike + iPod for a 10k run and went for it. Tiger Woods himself congratulated me with my new PR at the end. Cool Good idea, Nike. (Despite what Daddyo says Tongue Clowning around )

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.